Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

MP3 player won't charge...

Post New Thread Reply   

i like ham
Old 11-25-2007 , 22:12   MP3 player won't charge...
Reply With Quote #1

I bought a 1GB Memorex MMP8561 MP3 player for my girlfriend for Christmas, and I took it out of the package to put a few songs on and charge it up. I plugged it in with the provided USB cable (which the instructions say to use to charge it with), and all it does is dock with the computer, but it doesn't show that it's charging at all... I left it plugged in all day today and it's still sitting on 50% charge. This is the charge that was with it from the factory. I added a few songs, but it still isn't charging. I installed all of the software it came with, and tried plugging it in on two separate computers (laptop and PC), but nothing seems to charge it.

Does anybody else have a solution for it?

I don't have the receipt, so I can't return it.
slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Old 11-26-2007 , 00:49   Re: MP3 player won't charge...
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by i like ham View Post
I bought a 1GB Memorex MMP8561 MP3 player for my girlfriend for Christmas, and I took it out of the package to put a few songs on and charge it up. I plugged it in with the provided USB cable (which the instructions say to use to charge it with), and all it does is dock with the computer, but it doesn't show that it's charging at all... I left it plugged in all day today and it's still sitting on 50% charge. This is the charge that was with it from the factory. I added a few songs, but it still isn't charging. I installed all of the software it came with, and tried plugging it in on two separate computers (laptop and PC), but nothing seems to charge it.

Does anybody else have a solution for it?

I don't have the receipt, so I can't return it.
Best thing to do would be call memorex and if that fails, exchange it at a store; usually stores will accept exchanges even without a receipt or from buying it from them. Just give those two things a shot and make sure the power on the MP3 player is maybe off just for testing's sake? Maybe if it's on, it only docks; just try tech support with memorex first.

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!
i like ham
Old 11-26-2007 , 07:58   Re: MP3 player won't charge...
Reply With Quote #3

Turns out, while the MP3 player is plugged in, you have to quickly hit the power button a few times to initiate charging... Damn things are getting more complicated every day.
purple_pixie
Veteran Member
Old 11-26-2007 , 08:54   Re: MP3 player won't charge...
Reply With Quote #4

Who the hell made it like that?

I'm sure there's a good reason you would want your mp3 plugged in but not charging, I just can't think of it ...
TheNewt
Donor
Old 11-26-2007 , 12:08   Re: MP3 player won't charge...
Reply With Quote #5

The battery on it must be one of the older ones. purple_pixie you should be reminded of the days of "Battery Memory". It is probably designed so that you can choose to wait until it is out of juice to start charging, because if you remember memory means if you charge it while it still got juice, you ruin the battery pretty badly and lose that much life.
purple_pixie
Veteran Member
Old 11-26-2007 , 12:16   Re: MP3 player won't charge...
Reply With Quote #6

Ah yes. That would be why.

I thought they'd magic'ed that problem away, somehow.

EDIT: "if you remember" oh, the puns. The puns.
TheNewt
Donor
Old 11-27-2007 , 13:52   Re: MP3 player won't charge...
Reply With Quote #7

Yup... Half witted jokes when you're feeling ecstatic and have a very large case of euphoria. Woot
i like ham
Old 11-28-2007 , 00:48   Re: MP3 player won't charge...
Reply With Quote #8

I hate batteries with memories... Makes cell phones a PITA.
Old 11-28-2007 , 02:13   Re: MP3 player won't charge...
Reply With Quote #9

since when do batteries have memories? Its just a term called "Battery Memory" not actually saying it was made with memory to remember where it was charged last lol
i like ham
Old 11-28-2007 , 12:02   Re: MP3 player won't charge...
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewt View Post
since when do batteries have memories? Its just a term called "Battery Memory" not actually saying it was made with memory to remember where it was charged last lol
Cause they build resistance to charging fully if you don't wait till they drain completely.