Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

FF2 Client keeps downloading the same files?

Post New Thread Reply   

NevoH72
Old 04-04-2020 , 12:30   Client keeps downloading the same files?
Reply With Quote #1

My client keeps downloading the same files from my server even though I already downloaded them once by connecting to my server the first time...
Any ideas why?
It would download stuff like demopan's materials, some of christian brutal sniper's ,and more...

And it's so slow, too. a lot of people said to host the files. But I never understood how does one host files on a site.

It's as if my server is not really downloading these files... I just deleted some FF2 files from my OWN client's tf2 directory and let my server download them, now it took even 3x the usual time to download...
I've always had this issue.. my server is simply not downloading any of the files.. usually resulting in "missing maps" and more...

Last edited by NevoH72; 04-04-2020 at 12:49.
NevoH72
Old 04-04-2020 , 13:04   Re: Client keeps downloading the same files?
Reply With Quote #2

Also, it causes even *me* the host, see bosses as error (like gentlespy and more).

EDIT: So my friend just joined me to test it. And apparently he does not see any errors... it's only me.... why though..
And I just tried putting my own boss in my server, and that caused the BOTH of us to see my boss as an error...

EDIT2: Problems adds more problems...
Now in addition to all of my previous problems, the slowmotion does not work at all. whenever my boss loses a life, time will be "slowed". Like, my boss can still insta kill people and fly around, but the time is not really slowing at all, it's simply normal speed even though i typed 0.3 speed in my boss's cfg...

Last edited by NevoH72; 04-04-2020 at 14:26.
Batfoxkid
Old 04-04-2020 , 14:41   Re: Client keeps downloading the same files?
Reply With Quote #3

You can tell download fails if a file is downloaded but it:
1. Downloads too quickly/skips over it
2. Doesn't appear in your downloads

This may be caused by:
1. Not having the file in the server
2. If using FastDL, not having the file available (or the FastDL server can't be connected at all, you can check this by connecting to it via web browser)

And make sure arg2/timescale is the one being set and if your running 1.10.15 or older, the slowmotion effect tends to not work correctly.
Old 04-04-2020 , 15:39   Re: Client keeps downloading the same files?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfoxkid View Post
You can tell download fails if a file is downloaded but it:
1. Downloads too quickly/skips over it
2. Doesn't appear in your downloads

This may be caused by:
1. Not having the file in the server
2. If using FastDL, not having the file available (or the FastDL server can't be connected at all, you can check this by connecting to it via web browser)

And make sure arg2/timescale is the one being set and if your running 1.10.15 or older, the slowmotion effect tends to not work correctly.
First of all, Thank you for your reply.

I'm using the unofficial version (1.19.9)
arg2 is set to 0.2 yet the slowmotion still behaves as if it's normal time speed... Is that fixable? EDIT: batfox, I noticed that it works only when sv_cheats 1 is enabled. hope that might give you some ideas for "why" this is happening..

As for the errors, it is all fixed now. it was the sv_downloadurl that was used incorrectly that caused it all. But loading these files takes too long.. how can I speed up the process for other people who plan on joining? If it has anything to do with ports, then it's okay, because I can setup ports.

One more thing. One of my boss's abilities uses
"ability3"
{
"name" "special_lifelose_theme"
"plugin_name" "m7_abilities_extended"
}

Yet.... the theme doesn't play... I checked the path. checked the name of the mp3 file. and it still won't play once I lose a life.

Last edited by NevoH72; 04-04-2020 at 17:04.
Batfoxkid
Old 04-04-2020 , 19:46   Re: Client keeps downloading the same files?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevoH72 View Post
First of all, Thank you for your reply.

I'm using the unofficial version (1.19.9)
arg2 is set to 0.2 yet the slowmotion still behaves as if it's normal time speed... Is that fixable? EDIT: batfox, I noticed that it works only when sv_cheats 1 is enabled. hope that might give you some ideas for "why" this is happening..
host_timescale is considered a cheat ConVar which only works when sv_cheats is enabled. ffbat_defaults plugin fixes this by enabling sv_cheats but also preventing players using cheat commands.

Quote:
As for the errors, it is all fixed now. it was the sv_downloadurl that was used incorrectly that caused it all. But loading these files takes too long.. how can I speed up the process for other people who plan on joining? If it has anything to do with ports, then it's okay, because I can setup ports.
If your not using FastDL then speeds are going to be limited without one. If you are using a FastDL server, then it may be the server that's slow or your connection to it.

Quote:
One more thing. One of my boss's abilities uses
"ability3"
{
"name" "special_lifelose_theme"
"plugin_name" "m7_abilities_extended"
}

Yet.... the theme doesn't play... I checked the path. checked the name of the mp3 file. and it still won't play once I lose a life.
Check if you do have the ability setup correctly, eg. ability#, sound_ or you may have to contact M7 about it.
Old 04-06-2020 , 16:32   Re: Client keeps downloading the same files?
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
host_timescale is considered a cheat ConVar which only works when sv_cheats is enabled. ffbat_defaults plugin fixes this by enabling sv_cheats but also preventing players using cheat commands.

If your not using FastDL then speeds are going to be limited without one. If you are using a FastDL server, then it may be the server that's slow or your connection to it.

Check if you do have the ability setup correctly, eg. ability#, sound_ or you may have to contact M7 about it.
About the sv_cheats 1.... normal players can access any cheat for some reason... the plugin didn't enable sv_cheats in the first place, i had to manually enable it. and the plugin won't stop players from using commands...
Batfoxkid
Old 04-06-2020 , 22:09   Re: Client keeps downloading the same files?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
About the sv_cheats 1.... normal players can access any cheat for some reason... the plugin didn't enable sv_cheats in the first place, i had to manually enable it. and the plugin won't stop players from using commands...
It was only designed to prevent cheat commands if sv_cheats hasn't already on.
Old 04-07-2020 , 18:51   Re: Client keeps downloading the same files?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
It was only designed to prevent cheat commands if sv_cheats hasn't already on.
Sorry if I'm not getting this right, but is there a way to make it so that sv_cheats would be enabled without people actually having access to the cheat commands?
Batfoxkid
Old 04-07-2020 , 20:06   Re: Client keeps downloading the same files?
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Sorry if I'm not getting this right, but is there a way to make it so that sv_cheats would be enabled without people actually having access to the cheat commands?
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=600521
Old 04-08-2020 , 20:14   Re: Client keeps downloading the same files?
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Thank you so much, Batfox, for all the help!
Greatly appreciated! Thanks to you and WhiteFalcon I was able to help my other friends who had planned on making a ff2/DR server!