Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[C++] [HLSDK] Documentation or anything?

Post New Thread Reply   

Silencer123
Veteran Member
Old 02-07-2011 , 17:38   [C++] [HLSDK] Documentation or anything?
Reply With Quote #1

Hello, it has been a while. I figured this board comes closest to what I need help with.

I'm working with the HLSDK right now and wondered if there is any such thing as an introductory tutorial about or documentation on where to look for which things and what's the system/structure behind this bloat of cpp and header files even. I have gradually figured out stuff but when I want a specific feature/method I end up searching in the code for hours without finding what I am looking for.

Specifically, just now I was looking for a way to register a server command and hook it to a function, but couldn't find anything for that.

I also was hoping to find a simple comment block explaining server flow, like what can be considered an entry point for the mod and which functions are wandered in which order on server start, on mapchange/-load, on servershutdown and on exit, but nothing like that is to be found anywhere.

Also no information about what data structures are used, where which data is stored and how it is managed.

C++ - no problem. Utilizing a well-documented set of classes or stock methods or API - bring it on! Grasping what Valve did here - Please spare my life!! D:

I'd greatly appreciate help or an explanation about that, but even better would be a tutorial or documentation.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Silencer
Veteran Member
Old 02-13-2011 , 19:07   Re: [C++] [HLSDK] Documentation or anything?
Reply With Quote #2

Why is it always me who has these difficult unanswerable requests? :<
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 02-13-2011 , 19:58   Re: [C++] [HLSDK] Documentation or anything?
Reply With Quote #3

Just, read, read, and [...] read many times all the HLSDK. But look, if you ask that, it means you don't have knowledge in C/C++. That's something you should be easily understand by looking the header and such.

Anyway, what you ask doesn't exist. So, search, you may find some informations here and there somewhere.
Old 02-14-2011 , 12:20   Re: [C++] [HLSDK] Documentation or anything?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkshine View Post
what you ask doesn't exist.
Of course it does, you just have to buy a license from Valve ;)
ehha
SourceMod Donor
Old 02-14-2011 , 18:21   Re: [C++] [HLSDK] Documentation or anything?
Reply With Quote #5

Errmm... Windows Grep?
Old 02-16-2011 , 13:36   Re: [C++] [HLSDK] Documentation or anything?
Reply With Quote #6

They don't even have basic explanations in the header files. It's all "go figure"-policy.
"Don't know C++" is an ambiguous formulation. Of course I am always learning, but I won't
agree that having problems utilizing entirely undocumented source code identifies me as
a beginner. Documenting and commenting your code is common sense, especially the dirty
C-parts which have no relations to any OOP-structures that might be self-explanatory.
Nonetheless, question answered. Thanks.
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 02-16-2011 , 14:04   Re: [C++] [HLSDK] Documentation or anything?
Reply With Quote #7

If I've said "don't have knowledge in C/C++" is because I'm dumb and without real c/c++ knowledge, but after reading again an again you start to understand, you search for things, you get some informations here and there, you test, you read again, etc. The point is even me after some reading I understand more or less how works the thing. Your post was appearing me like someone lazy to search, the more when it seems he got some c/c++ knowledge. Even if there is not a real documentation, you still have a many informations around and inside the SDK.
Old 02-18-2011 , 23:44   Re: [C++] [HLSDK] Documentation or anything?
Reply With Quote #8

cdll_int.h, line 128.
Search took two minutes.