Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
Fun Stuff
Plugin Game:
Left 4 Dead
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
    Randomizes a player's Survivor Character the first time they spawn as a survivor
    Old 03-23-2015 , 12:35   [L4D2] Survivor Randomizer
    Reply With Quote #1

About : Tired of spawning multiple survivors in your server and all of them end up being only L4D2 survivors?

How it works :
    Simple and small plugin, the first time a client spawns into the game as a Survivor, the player will be given a choice as to they want to randomize their character or not, bots will automatically be randomized and renamed accordingly.

If you want all 8 survivors on every possible campaign (even L4D1 campaigns like No Mercy or Death Toll) check out this post.

Commands :
    Code:
    ADMINS ONLY
    sm_randomizeall - randomizes the character of all survivors
    Code:
    Version 1.0    03-23-2015
    - Initial Release
    To DO :
    Code:
    - Requests(?)

NOTE : Zoey Crashes on Windows! For Windows users, I have attached a pre-compiled version to go with FakeZoey, if you use the normal version (meant for Linux) on Windows the server WILL crash!
    Attached Files
    File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source ([L4D2] Survivor Randomizer.sp - 2698 views - 6.8 KB)
    File Type: smx [L4D2] Survivor Randomizer(windows).smx (7.7 KB, 1330 views)

Last edited by DeathChaos25; 03-23-2015 at 12:50.
    Sev
    Veteran Member
    Old 03-23-2015 , 12:43   Re: [L4D2] Survivor Randomizer
    Reply With Quote #2

Neat idea.
    DeathChaos25
    Old 03-23-2015 , 12:49   Re: [L4D2] Survivor Randomizer
    Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sev View Post
    Neat idea.
    Yeah, it occurred to me in a "burst of inspiration tm"

Basically, it bothered me to no end that when playing with 10 bots, I'd have 6 Nicks or something like that, so I decided to make this neat little plugin.

It took way more effort to perfect than I would've like, you can ask Mr.Zero, I bothered him to no end because for some reason, the plugin wouldn't work if I hooked a team change because for some strange reason players are randomly put into team 0 (wat) before going into the survivor team (team 2), and this would fire the randomizer, but not actually randomize the survivor.

So I used player_spawn, but this would fire EVERY time the player spawned, as in being respawned, changing maps, revived by rescue closet, etc.

But after many trials and errors, I finally got it working perfectly like I wanted it to, but of course, testing with bots can only go so far, but I expect the plugin work as advertized.

Oh snap I also forgot to include the admin command in the main post xD
    Old 03-23-2015 , 13:02   Re: [L4D2] Survivor Randomizer
    Reply With Quote #4

Quick run through.

A couple suggestions for cvars depending on the workload you want to do.

1. Always check for bot duplicates until more players join and decide whats what.
    2. Always remember who the player character is unless they decide to randomize again on the next map. That way the plugin remembers the character on map change and going idle, also map restart, the known instances with csm where it doesn't remember a character.

3. Randomize based on available survivors, in other words, try to enforce all 8 survivors when new players join.

This happens already with L4D2 campaigns, once the L4D2 survivor characters are filled out, the L4D1 survivors start being filled out beyond 4 players. But on L4D1 maps, it won't happen even in set 2, I know this because I run a csm provided also by Mr. Zero that even though the L4D2 set is forced, it forces the L4D1 survivors to still be the defaults on their own campaigns while allowing you to pick the L4D2 survivors and still have them work even if you just simply changed the set.

The idea would be if the L4D1 survivors are already filled out, when new players join, we check them and offer them a L4D2 survivor on L4D1 campaigns and I guess you could be cautious and keep the check for L4D2 campaigns with L4D1 survivors.

P.S. - We need some melee weapon grunts for the L4D1 survivors.

If you think they might sound ridiculous, you can always make the L4D1 survivor melee weapon grunts a cvar option.

Last edited by Sev; 03-23-2015 at 13:19.
    DeathChaos25
    Old 03-23-2015 , 14:06   Re: [L4D2] Survivor Randomizer
    Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sev View Post
    Quick run through.

A couple suggestions for cvars depending on the workload you want to do.

1. Always check for bot duplicates until more players join and decide whats what.
    2. Always remember who the player character is unless they decide to randomize again on the next map. That way the plugin remembers the character on map change and going idle, also map restart, the known instances with csm where it doesn't remember a character.

3. Randomize based on available survivors, in other words, try to enforce all 8 survivors when new players join.

This happens already with L4D2 campaigns, once the L4D2 survivor characters are filled out, the L4D1 survivors start being filled out beyond 4 players. But on L4D1 maps, it won't happen even in set 2, I know this because I run a csm provided also by Mr. Zero that even though the L4D2 set is forced, it forces the L4D1 survivors to still be the defaults on their own campaigns while allowing you to pick the L4D2 survivors and still have them work even if you just simply changed the set.

The idea would be if the L4D1 survivors are already filled out, when new players join, we check them and offer them a L4D2 survivor on L4D1 campaigns and I guess you could be cautious and keep the check for L4D2 campaigns with L4D1 survivors.

P.S. - We need some melee weapon grunts for the L4D1 survivors.

If you think they might sound ridiculous, you can always make the L4D1 survivor melee weapon grunts a cvar option.
    1 and 3 may or may not happen since the goal is to have random survivors.
    For 2, that would require the Left4Downtown2 Extension, with it we would retrieve the current survivor set (before the L4D2 set is enforced) to spawn the default survivors.

I think sappy fix already fixes the remembering wrong characters issue if I'm not wrong, but I can look into it nonetheless.
    Old 08-21-2015 , 08:13   Re: [L4D2] Survivor Randomizer
    Reply With Quote #6

Thanks for this plugin, can you share the source of the windows version, I wanna change to all random without showing menu.
    And do I need to install the forceset.smx for enabling all 8 survivors first?

Last edited by quakerv; 08-21-2015 at 08:15.
    DeathChaos25
    Old 08-21-2015 , 10:14   Re: [L4D2] Survivor Randomizer
    Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quakerv View Post
    Thanks for this plugin, can you share the source of the windows version, I wanna change to all random without showing menu.
    And do I need to install the forceset.smx for enabling all 8 survivors first?
    The source is literally the same for windows, (this applies to all of my plugins), the only difference being that with Zoey, the m_survivorCharacter netprop is 5 on Linux (crashes on windows), so on Windows I set it to 0 (Nick) which in turn makes it function with my FakeZoey plugin.
    Old 10-27-2015 , 18:07   Re: [L4D2] Survivor Randomizer
    Reply With Quote #8

Hey DeathChaos i love some of the stuff you do could'nt you use

Get MaxClients[]

and get .mdl of the survivors instead of random because it stops dialog on maps if they are not all there
    thrus get 1 of each survivor ovcourse if there is 10 survivors then it gotta copy 1 just a suggestion
    jking
    AlliedModders Donor
    Old 07-17-2016 , 13:13   Re: [L4D2] Survivor Randomizer
    Reply With Quote #9

Death, props to you as you're one of my fav devs but forgive my ignorance for a moment, but what's the diff between your forceset.smx and your plugin here? forceset gave me 4x Coach etc. the All8survivors does each individual, no copies.

Last edited by jking; 07-18-2016 at 11:51.