ban lists

Post New Thread Reply   

TheAvengers2
BANNED
Old 06-20-2012 , 12:14   Re: ban lists
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelioneil View Post
Who would want those people to play on your server?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAvengers2 View Post
I'm sure there's some server owner out there whose friends with these people.
I'm simply saying it isn't so black and white. The command would exclude specific people from being checked against the ban list. Most likely it won't be used, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to have for server owners. Kigen has a zero tolerance policy with his banlist. If you make it on his list, you've got a good chance of staying on it. Some of the people who protested were in his banlist since like 2005. I'm sure there's some server owner out there willing to give them a second chance, especially for the much older bans. In any case, it was merely a suggestion. If I wanted the feature I could easily add it myself, but not everyone is so familiar with pawn.

Last edited by TheAvengers2; 06-20-2012 at 12:36.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 06-21-2012 , 05:09   Re: ban lists
Reply With Quote #12

I think with the next release there will be enough options for server owners to handle these use cases. For those that don't like the theory behind an individual banlist, they can simply use it as an early-warning system, or remove it completely.

I don't know the status of Kigen's list, but you can probably assume that all bans are 1+ years old by now. I'll include more details like this about each list when I update the documentation. That way server owners can make an informed decision when setting it up.

Last edited by GoD-Tony; 06-21-2012 at 05:10.
minimoney1
SourceMod Donor
Old 06-21-2012 , 08:15   Re: ban lists
Reply With Quote #13

I personally modify every single plugin and make sure that the kicking is off. I personally am better off with my players (and/or admins) knowing about the ban just so they can make just actions when it comes to their decisions on that player when it comes to reporting or banning them. For example, if I see a person being really blatant, I check up their SteamID and if he's banned on EAC or ESEA, then I don't even hesitate, I ban him immediately.
TheAvengers2
BANNED
Old 06-21-2012 , 21:56   Re: ban lists
Reply With Quote #14

Code:
[SMAC] *snip* | *snip*): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed | EAC: P/1.0

Host: easyanticheat.net

Connection: close

[SMAC] *snip* | *snip*): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! | EAC: P/1.0

Host: easyanticheat.net

Connection: close

Disconnect: You are listed on the EAC Global Ban List. See www.EasyAntiCheat.net for more information.
Disconnect: You are listed on the EAC Global Ban List. See www.EasyAntiCheat.net for more information.

Connecting to *snip*...
Connected to *snip*
Delightful.

Edit:

A closer look reveals the problem:

Warning: file_get_contents(http://master.easyanticheat.net/*snip*.php?id=*snip*): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in /home/eac/public_html/check_guid.php on line 15

The error returns the steam_id so the module believes the user is banned.

Last edited by TheAvengers2; 06-21-2012 at 22:14.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 06-22-2012 , 02:51   Re: ban lists
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAvengers2 View Post
Delightful.

Edit:

A closer look reveals the problem:

Warning: file_get_contents(http://master.easyanticheat.net/*snip*.php?id=*snip*): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in /home/eac/public_html/check_guid.php on line 15

The error returns the steam_id so the module believes the user is banned.
Ouch, that is bad, but thanks for biting the bullet and testing this early. I added more safety checks (more to come later).

In the meantime I'll find out what happened with their server...
Old 06-22-2012 , 15:11   Re: ban lists
Reply With Quote #16

I am sorry for not reading up on this, but will this plugin auto-ban a player from say any x server of the plugin ?
TheAvengers2
BANNED
Old 06-22-2012 , 22:32   Re: ban lists
Reply With Quote #17

Yes, by default the SMAC module will kick the player (excluding VAC'd players).

The module comes with two configurable ConVars:

smac_eac_kick (defaulted on) - Automatically kick players on the EAC banlist and log. Alternatively, informs in-game admins and log.

smac_eac_vac (defaulted off) - Automatically kick players with previous VAC bans for other games and log.

Last edited by TheAvengers2; 06-22-2012 at 22:42.
GoD-Tony
Veteran Member
Old 06-23-2012 , 03:55   Re: ban lists
Reply With Quote #18

Just to make sure there is no confusion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkster View Post
I am sorry for not reading up on this, but will this plugin auto-ban a player from say any x server of the plugin ?
Are you asking if SMAC bans are added to any global banlist? If so then the answer is no. These lists are maintained by separate communities.
Old 06-23-2012 , 09:35   Re: ban lists
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoD-Tony View Post
Just to make sure there is no confusion:
Are you asking if SMAC bans are added to any global banlist? If so then the answer is no. These lists are maintained by separate communities.

Yes that was my question, tho poorly formulated by me.
Glad to hear that that's not the plan, cause that would have led to many a false ban.
zeroibis
Veteran Member
Old 07-13-2012 , 15:28   Re: ban lists
Reply With Quote #20

Can these modules be updated to just add these players to the ban list rather than just kicking them? I would much prefer to have them listed as banned and know exactly why they can not get in the server. A kick could be any number of things. However a ban listed in SB is much easier for admins to verify that the noob needs to stay banned and not waist time.