Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Deagles' Map Manager v3.25Beta

Post New Thread Reply   

DJEarthQuake
Veteran Member
Old 06-16-2022 , 09:28   Re: Deagles' Map Manager v3.25Beta
Reply With Quote #251

I had performance issues with various versions of this map picker also with few maps when testing years ago.

Last edited by DJEarthQuake; 06-16-2022 at 09:28.
Infamanious
Old 06-16-2022 , 12:01   Re: Deagles' Map Manager v3.25Beta
Reply With Quote #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
The code that is posted in the OP has a map limit of 600 hard coded into it.

Regarding when a player connects, I'm not finding any code that runs when a player connects that would be related to the number of maps you have.
The problem appears to present itself on map change or server restart while the plugin checks mapcycle and allmaps.txt. So far i've tested this on Debian and the problem persists however their is a sweet spot of about 900 maps where the server hang is acceptable ( roughly a few seconds)

Tested with version 3.32 and the latest beta build. As for your response about player connection in regards to the plugin...its probably not worth mentioning considering that particular hang(100%cpu usage) only occurs with more than 2000 maps. I'm still doing more diagnostic testing and i'll certainly post my findings on here.

Interesting note: The problem was occurring on debian linux with amxmodx 1.9 and version 3.23 of deagsmapmanagement plugin. Major hang ,etc ,etc. Same thing happens with a friends linux server hosted by gameservers. Not entirely sure of the distro but i do know its a VM. Now heres the fun part. I loaded up amxmodx 1.10 and both 3.25B and 3.23 versions of deagsmapmanagement on a Windows Server 2019, and their is virtually NO hang at all...weird. Changing plugin versions also didnt seem to cause the hang on windows. Guess i better head back to linux and try more diagnostic testing. ( the only difference is the plugin version 3.23 though im sure upgrading 3.25b wont make a difference. Fortunately i really like headless linux...half the ram of even headless windows<---- my only motivation at this point).

edit: i originally stated in this post i was having problems with windows but that was a typo.

Last edited by Infamanious; 06-16-2022 at 12:45.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 06-16-2022 , 22:21   Re: Deagles' Map Manager v3.25Beta
Reply With Quote #253

I think I must have misunderstood when you mention client connections stalling. Makes a big difference in which code you look at when you consider it's when the map changes.
Old 06-17-2022 , 04:38   Re: Deagles' Map Manager v3.25Beta
Reply With Quote #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
I think I must have misunderstood when you mention client connections stalling. Makes a big difference in which code you look at when you consider it's when the map changes.
well in any case i just confirmed a vanilla debian 11 amxmodx setup with 1.10 ands deags plugin 3.35B w/ default plugins does indeed hang for about a minute at 100% cpu usage @ server restart and map change.(with 2500 maps) This is bizarre because the exact same setup on windows server ( on the same box) loads instantly. :[ Dang...such a bummer. Im so fond of using less than 250mbs of ram compared to windows server desktop experience ( 2gigs!!). Their headless runs at 512mb and i really, really.....really really dislike windows powershell. Also i dont think HLSM works without a GUI. Anybody know of a potential fix?

amxmodx version 1.10 w/ latest official metamod.
plugins: default & deagles map manager 3.53B
map count: 2500

windows server 2019 w/ rehlds w/hlsm
hangtime 2-4 seconds @ 100 cpu usage

debian 11 vanilla
debian 11 w/ xanmod, tuned utilities.
debian 11 w/ rehlds and w/o rehlds
standard launch parameters w/ & w/o pingboost
console: no errors
hangtime 70 seconds @ 100 cpu usage

Last edited by Infamanious; 06-17-2022 at 17:00.
Infamanious
Old 06-17-2022 , 17:14   Re: Deagles' Map Manager v3.25Beta
Reply With Quote #255

lol it took me forever to finally figure out there are alternative map plugins haha. I tried galileo and it works. The only downside is you need to type the commands in console. Shouldn't be hard to add more client commands in the source code though. Thanks for responding fysiks..i wouldn't even have considered using galileo if it wasn't for your signature.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 06-18-2022 , 00:56   Re: Deagles' Map Manager v3.25Beta
Reply With Quote #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamanious View Post
lol it took me forever to finally figure out there are alternative map plugins haha. I tried galileo and it works. The only downside is you need to type the commands in console. Shouldn't be hard to add more client commands in the source code though. Thanks for responding fysiks..i wouldn't even have considered using galileo if it wasn't for your signature.
Glad to hear you found something that works. Not sure I understand the comment about the downside of console commands. Feel free to PM me so that we don't hijack this thread for another plugin.
Old 07-18-2022 , 18:04   Re: Deagles' Map Manager v3.25Beta
Reply With Quote #257

Server operators with more than 600 maps are experiencing server hang / precaching resources. The culprit has been identified and it appears this plugin causes a server with > 600 maps to cause mild server hang on map change. After 900 maps the hang starts to become more apparent and is based on the number of maps that are processed from the maps directory folder. Many servers experience this problem if they have alot of maps and once it starts to become a nuisance server operators are forced to remove maps from their maps folder. I've done a detailed diagnostic with this issue on both windows server and linux servers but their doesnt seem to be any other method to remedy this issue without simply reducing the map count. I've also tried using other map managers like galileo but i encountered a hard crash after using it on a full server.

Last edited by Infamanious; 07-18-2022 at 18:24.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 07-19-2022 , 00:48   Re: Deagles' Map Manager v3.25Beta
Reply With Quote #258

Quote:
Server operators with more than 600 maps are experiencing server hang / precaching resources. The culprit has been identified and it appears this plugin causes a server with > 600 maps to cause mild server hang on map change. After 900 maps the hang starts to become more apparent and is based on the number of maps that are processed from the maps directory folder. Many servers experience this problem if they have alot of maps and once it starts to become a nuisance server operators are forced to remove maps from their maps folder. I've done a detailed diagnostic with this issue on both windows server and linux servers but their doesnt seem to be any other method to remedy this issue without simply reducing the map count. I've also tried using other map managers like galileo but i encountered a hard crash after using it on a full server.

To clarify, when you "remove" a map, what does that mean? Do you simply remove it from mapcycle.txt (or "/addons/amxmodx/config/maps.ini"; I can't remember which file all these map managers use) or do you delete the BSP file?

Also, this plugin is hardcoded with a max of 600 maps. Are you changing this value?

Last edited by fysiks; 07-19-2022 at 00:50.
Infamanious
Old 07-19-2022 , 17:42   Re: Deagles' Map Manager v3.25Beta
Reply With Quote #259

Removing a map from the maps directory (bsp, and place it in a renamed directory for easy access later) also removing the corresponding map name from the mapcycle file as any other maps.txt file. For Deags map manager there is the mapcycles.txt file and the allmaps.txt file in the plugins i believe.
Edited the hardcoded line to alot for the amount of maps on our server to 900.

Last edited by Infamanious; 07-19-2022 at 18:07.
JusTGo
Veteran Member
Old 07-19-2022 , 17:46   Re: Deagles' Map Manager v3.25Beta
Reply With Quote #260

Quote:
Removing a map from the maps directory (bsp), also removing the corresponding map name from the mapcycle file as well.
Edited the hardcoded line to alot for the amount of maps on our server to 900.
I guess you don't need to remove the map from the maps folder, since it will be ignored once it gets removed from mapcycle file.

PS: The discord invite link on your profile is invalid, I don't know if you are aware or not but thought I would tell you anyway lol