SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 09-14-2010 , 23:30   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #41

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=1298309
sinblaster
Grim Reaper
Old 09-19-2010 , 06:49   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #42

Hmm I wondered why my donations were never deducted from the monthly costs amount. Well you learn something new about people every day don't you.
Greentryst
WHAT MORE DO THEY WANT?!
Old 09-20-2010 , 03:27   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #43

I'd like to discuss something that's been bothering me: the revelation that Kigen is purchasing private hacks, and how this impacts our gaming community. Here is a hypothetical situation, one that I sincerely hope has not happened.

(I am assuming good intentions, so I will ignore the possibility that Kigen might abuse the hacks he purchases. It would seem very uncharacteristic of him.)

- Kigen is giving money to hack developers in exchange for private hacks. This gives him the ability to code against those hacks, but nothing prevents those people from developing new and different hacks. In fact, they might be charging him a premium for what they consider their lesser or outdated hacks.

- By giving money to hack developers, Kigen may be helping to fund the creation of more hacks. In fact, he may inadvertently have created a market for these developers -- the more hacks they create, the more he can buy. This encourages even more hack development than there would have been otherwise.

- The majority of servers do not use Kigen's Anti Cheat. Until VAC targets the hacks, those servers are not protected against the hacks Kigen purchases nor against the new hacks that are developed to replace the previous ones.

∴ By purchasing private hacks, Kigen may be increasing the degree to which hacks threaten the Half-Life community.

Additionally, the money which Kigen spends on private hacks is donated by users. If my fears above are correct, then that wasted money could have been donated to support other open source initiatives, or simply used more productively for the users' own needs.

Please note that this is just an assessment of the situation and its potential implications, not an accusation.

(This was also posted here.)
Send a message via ICQ to Greentryst Send a message via AIM to Greentryst Send a message via MSN to Greentryst Send a message via Yahoo to Greentryst Send a message via Skype™ to Greentryst
nightrider
SourceMod Donor
Old 09-20-2010 , 04:35   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #44

just one person purchasing to reverse engineer is not going to throw us all under the bus.
Though I would like to see the creators of these cheats squashed ...

Last edited by nightrider; 09-20-2010 at 04:37.
Matthias Vance
Old 09-20-2010 , 05:43   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #45

Such a lobbyist, for such a questionable cause.
nightrider
SourceMod Donor
Old 09-20-2010 , 07:52   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Vance View Post
Such a lobbyist, for such a questionable cause.
I don't see how my reply to posts is considered lobbying when I just have a difference of opinion.
Like yourself I moderate forums and was a moderator for this section until it's closure.

I have no monetary or controlling interest in KAC, it's forum infrastructure or supporting hardware.
I volunteer my time in order to address protests and help with general support questions on the KAC forum.
My interest in supporting the KAC plugin is to show cheaters the exit door on my servers and those of the general server community.
I don't appreciate hackers & cheats in my server and thought this was an opportunity to give something back to Kigen the creator of KAC.
I consider this a valid cause and worth my time and effort.

My only interest here is to guide conversations to be more constructive and accommodating and less destructive and confrontational.

Last edited by nightrider; 09-21-2010 at 03:44. Reason: replaced having with have
Matthias Vance
Old 09-21-2010 , 01:56   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by santaclaus View Post
nightrider got a gold medal in term of communication. He's truly a good asset to Kigen. His trust for Kigen despite those accusations is prayseworthy.
^- This is what I meant.

ionxp : Maybe you should stop bumping it every time then?
nightrider
SourceMod Donor
Old 09-21-2010 , 03:45   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Vance View Post
^- This is what I meant.
oh ok ...

Mosalar
Old 09-23-2010 , 19:40   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #49

psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 09-24-2010 , 07:34   Re: Section Closure
Reply With Quote #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvellous View Post
just because one posts it's opinion you have to go and delete his posts,so much for community and sharing thoughts
...resists the urge to feed 200$ monthly to sourcemod
Multiple forum accounts (using one only when you wanna be snarky) is against the rules.

Last edited by psychonic; 09-24-2010 at 09:13. Reason: mmm... grammar