Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Sourcemod exploit ?

Post New Thread Reply   

Fightspit
Old 05-10-2010 , 14:56   Re: Sourcemod exploit ?
Reply With Quote #11

What I understand, he used a cvar command host_timescale in order to make a kind of "speed hack" so it can be a cheat in a server "own's rules".
But it shouldn't be a VAC banned.
What happen if an admin (by using sourcemod in his own server) enable the "noclip" command on himself, so you can consider as a cheat ?... right ? In general, defining exactly the word "cheat" depends on... everybody...
But, it is impossible to be VAC banned automatically because you don't modify any Dll/Exe files.
So, if we take the same example as above but with a Valve employee playing in a server with an admin enable the "noclip", what will happen next ? VAC Ban or not ? Or, I thought you can't report someone who was "cheating" in a server to make him a VAC ban, so ?
In general, using/changing a cvar command can be considered as a "cheat" (like modifying gravity for example)? What do you think ?

(I also posted it in Facepunch forum)
Kevin_b_er
SourceMod Donor
Old 05-10-2010 , 19:48   Re: Sourcemod exploit ?
Reply With Quote #12

Its a cheat.

Its using a external method to override the FCVAR_REPLICATED and/or FCVAR_CHEAT directives.

Those who are claiming its not a cheat are deluded.
pRED*
Old 05-10-2010 , 20:45   Re: Sourcemod exploit ?
Reply With Quote #13

Fightsplit: Loading SourceMod on your client *does* modify dll's. And injects (so to speak) them into the hl2.exe process.

Both of which could be detected by VAC.

The fact that VAC doesn't appear to detect SourceMod on the client currently, doesn't mean it won't. And doesn't make it not hacking.
egor1908
Veteran Member
Old 05-11-2010 , 06:28   Re: Sourcemod exploit ?
Reply With Quote #14

VAC banned for sourcemod? No, it's just another guy trying to scare people and prevent them from using SM for cheating. VAC does not ban for this.
Afronanny
Veteran Member
Old 05-11-2010 , 13:42   Re: Sourcemod exploit ?
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by egor1908 View Post
VAC banned for sourcemod? No, it's just another guy trying to scare people and prevent them from using SM for cheating. VAC does not ban for this.

VAC may ban for loading SourceMod in the future, or even now. Since we don't know exactly what VAC looks for or bans for, we cannot say for sure if VAC will ban for it or not. So far, VAC hasn't banned people because they used SourceMod client-side, but that does not mean that it is undetected. Sourcemod does alter the game dll, and it does alter memory. VAC just doesn't seem to care. That may change in the future.
LumiStance
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-11-2010 , 16:51   Re: Sourcemod exploit ?
Reply With Quote #16

My guess, VAC provides a way of blacklisting manually, in addition to any automated blacklisting it has.

Jag was using an advantage not available to most players, and not provided by the server admin/op. That's not acceptable to me, but I would not be surprised if people run servers were anything goes.

And there is no indication in the other thread as to whether this activity was sanctioned on the server he was playing.

In any case, he deserves to be banned for having such a horrible avatar (that might be in copyright violation), IMHO .

How appropriate is it for a server admin to use server plugins to have an advantage? At some point you have to recognize that people can choose which server they play on, and if someone is a jerk on one host, you are free to find another server.
Old 05-11-2010 , 16:59   Re: Sourcemod exploit ?
Reply With Quote #17

Im not sure if i'm interpreting the quote by Jag correctly, but from what im understanding is that his intention was to use an exploit for the intention of gaining an advantage on some other server he has no admin rights on. Isn't this considered speedhacking? Am I following this correctly? O_o
egor1908
Veteran Member
Old 05-12-2010 , 03:40   Re: Sourcemod exploit ?
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afronanny View Post
VAC may ban for loading SourceMod in the future, or even now. Since we don't know exactly what VAC looks for or bans for, we cannot say for sure if VAC will ban for it or not. So far, VAC hasn't banned people because they used SourceMod client-side, but that does not mean that it is undetected. Sourcemod does alter the game dll, and it does alter memory. VAC just doesn't seem to care. That may change in the future.
I'd say it's almost the same as creating a listen server and use sourcemod on it. You can change some cvars, "forget" to change them back and then join a pub game. Thie only way to detect if someone's cheating with SM is to perform some checks (IMO), but this could aswell be a situation i described above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreaper View Post
Im not sure if i'm interpreting the quote by Jag correctly, but from what im understanding is that his intention was to use an exploit for the intention of gaining an advantage on some other server he has no admin rights on. Isn't this considered speedhacking? Am I following this correctly? O_o
No, you're somehow not. Using sourcemod the way OP is talking is: Greatly increasy brightness, enable speedhack, wallhack and even more things.

Last edited by egor1908; 05-12-2010 at 03:42.
cybersquare420
Veteran Member
Old 05-12-2010 , 07:39   Re: Sourcemod exploit ?
Reply With Quote #19

if you go and read the forum he is referring to there is a long discussion about this. it really did happen. apparently valve employees can mannually VAC ban and it is instantaneous rather than waiting a month. the kid even links to the employee's steam id page where he has been commenting about the unfair ban and such. and he should be banned.... he is like a common thief who complains about being caught on the premise that it must not be illegal because he was not caught the first time.
Old 05-12-2010 , 19:25   Re: Sourcemod exploit ?
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersquare420 View Post
apparently valve employees can mannually VAC ban
No they can not, this has been confirmed by many Valve employees and even Chet F.
Yes i know they actually can but this never happend, these things you read on facepunch forums are not true, i've seen many trolls there trying to scare people off.

VAC is a fully automated system which is never interferred by some random employee who's there to ban another pub cheater.