Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Solved CS 1.6 Server - Clients aren't downloading server's content

Post New Thread Reply   

bojidar4oto
Old 05-31-2020 , 12:50   CS 1.6 Server - Clients aren't downloading server's content
Reply With Quote #1

Greetings all,

Last time I set up my own server was more than 5 years ago, so I dare say am very rusty. Anyways, me and a friend of mine want to host our own server. It all works fine, except for one thing - when players connect, they only download files, which are on the server, but not on their client. This means that any weapon skins we want in there (for example) are only seen by the server, but not the clients, because the weapon mdl and wav sounds already exist on the players' clients.

The one thing I vaguely remember from my past is that when I connected to other servers, they'd have me download any custom content (like skins or map textures) before letting me play. Those didn't overwrite my own; they were placed in a separate folder and only utilized when I'm connected to that server.

So, my question is, how do we do that? We want to have custom models and sounds for many things, but right now we can't figure out how to do it. Also, is it allowed? 'Cause I've read the term "slow hacking" not once while trying to find a solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by bojidar4oto; 05-31-2020 at 17:26. Reason: Changing prefix to "Solved" for obvious reasons
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 05-31-2020 , 15:33   Re: CS 1.6 Server - Clients aren't downloading server's content
Reply With Quote #2

The game doesn't overwrite files on purpose. If it was able to overwrite files, nothing would ever work correctly.

You need a plugin to force the client to download new files and then the plugin will tell the game to use that new file instead of the original. There are plugins out there that do this depending on what exactly you're trying to replace. For example, there are at least a couple plugins that do this for player models and I'm sure there are some out there for weapons too.

Last edited by fysiks; 05-31-2020 at 17:28. Reason: clarity
Mankled
Old 05-31-2020 , 17:03   Re: CS 1.6 Server - Clients aren't downloading server's content
Reply With Quote #3

for weapons/sounds
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=43979

for players model
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showth...81280?p=181280

anything else sir ?

Last edited by Mankled; 05-31-2020 at 17:03.
bojidar4oto
Old 05-31-2020 , 17:25   Re: CS 1.6 Server - Clients aren't downloading server's content
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankled View Post
Thank you! I will be sure to test these when I have the time

As for anything else, I'll just roll up my sleeves and start digging