Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix (NO LONGER NEEDED)

Post New Thread Reply   

id5473
Old 09-03-2014 , 09:45   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #31

EDIT* what i forgot to mention earlier if you are fiddling with the game_sounds files.. (thanks for pointing it out bazrael) you need to alter the pak01_dir.vpk. Open it with a text editor and replace one letter of the files you want to replace. like search for game_sounds_coach.txt and replace the c with a p => game_sounds_poach.txt.
This keeps the file recognizable by the game and since it can't find this poach file now.. it will use the one it finds in left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\scripts which happens to be yours
That's the reason you'll get a consistency error if you don't have consistency 0... as your pak01 now differs from the client.
(all this was stated already in the l4d2 forum thread.. so all credits go to these people )

Last edited by id5473; 09-03-2014 at 09:46.
Sev
Veteran Member
Old 09-04-2014 , 10:05   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #32

Now that I remember it...

There is one small outstanding bug about the standard L4D2 Modified talker and its related to death mourns when both sets of survivors are in play with character select, added bots, etc.

The scenarios that work.

1. The L4D2 survivors will mourn other L4D2 survivors when they die (which is normal, without any talkers)
2. The L4D1 survivors will mourn the L4D2 survivors when they die (thanks to baz and his talker)

The scenarios that don't work or never featured

1. The L4D1 survivors don't mourn the other L4D1 survivors when they die (in vanilla with no talkers, they do)
2. The L4D2 survivors don't mourn the L4D1 survivors when they die (could probably be a baz like workaround)

If these small issues could be fixed via plugin like deathchaos idea or updated through baz's talker or implemented with id5473's idea. That would be most appreciated.

EDIT:

And for those potentially confused.

Death Mourns mean when the survivors walk near the body of a dead survivor. Not to be confused with when a player dies and the instant survivor reaction that comes afterwards. Usually they scream a name, etc.

Last edited by Sev; 09-04-2014 at 10:12.
DeathChaos25
Old 09-04-2014 , 12:43   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
Now that I remember it...

There is one small outstanding bug about the standard L4D2 Modified talker and its related to death mourns when both sets of survivors are in play with character select, added bots, etc.

The scenarios that work.

1. The L4D2 survivors will mourn other L4D2 survivors when they die (which is normal, without any talkers)
2. The L4D1 survivors will mourn the L4D2 survivors when they die (thanks to baz and his talker)

1. The L4D1 survivors don't mourn the other L4D1 survivors when they die (in vanilla with no talkers, they do)
2. The L4D2 survivors don't mourn the L4D1 survivors when they die (could probably be a baz like workaround)

If these small issues could be fixed via plugin like deathchaos idea or updated through baz's talker or implemented with id5473's idea. That would be most appreciated.

EDIT:

And for those potentially confused.

Death Mourns mean when the survivors walk near the body of a dead survivor. Not to be confused with when a player dies and the instant survivor reaction that comes afterwards. Usually they scream a name, etc.
In theory, that would be an easy thing to fix.

We would assign every player (or bot) a flag depending on what character they are, then, using the dead_survivor_visible event, and depending on the assigned character flag of the dead player that is to be mourned, we just give the survivor that saw them the appropriate vocalization for it.

Edit : I also found a windows only bug.

When you play with the L4D2 survivor set on L4D campaign, due to Zoey not working on Windows, she is obviously not availible.

As a result, a lot of campaign lines (like the Intros) won't play because the actor TeenGirl is missing, this is because in the talker, by definition, all 4 Actors, Manager, TeenGirl, Biker and Namvet MUST be present.

This bug is easily fixed by spawning a Survivor team 4 Zoey and hiding her where she is not visible.

Last edited by DeathChaos25; 09-05-2014 at 19:23.
bazrael
Old 09-05-2014 , 20:20   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #34

Quote:

I recall the memory in 2010 when the Sacrifice DLC just released. I did manage to create these talker lines while I was using CSM 2.2, but they didn't work at that time.
Owing to other nasty official talker bugs were waiting to correct, I forgot to try again with newer CSM plugin. If L4D2 survivors are able to mourn the L4D1 survivors with Survivor Chat Select plugin, I may update MT after Half-Lifeε releases.
DeathChaos25
Old 09-05-2014 , 20:59   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazrael View Post
If L4D2 survivors are able to mourn the L4D1 survivors with Survivor Chat Select plugin, I may update MT after Half-Lifeε releases.
bazrael pls

On a more Serious note, if you do actually ever get to update Modified Talker, could you change these specific scenes;
Spoiler
with;
Spoiler

Will they still work if this change is made?

As they currently are, Scene Processor isn't able to intercept them, only scenes that are in the usual scene "scenes/survivor/scenehere.vcd" format are readable by Scene Processor, which is why I'm asking, so I can replace them inside Modified Talker on my server to use with Fake Zoey, otherwise, she'll be calling for rescue in Nick's voice

Last edited by DeathChaos25; 09-06-2014 at 10:21.
bazrael
Old 09-06-2014 , 19:47   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChaos25 View Post
bazrael pls

On a more Serious note, if you do actually ever get to update Modified Talker, could you change these specific scenes;
Spoiler
with;
Spoiler

Will they still work if this change is made?

As they currently are, Scene Processor isn't able to intercept them, only scenes that are in the usual scene "scenes/survivor/scenehere.vcd" format are readable by Scene Processor, which is why I'm asking, so I can replace them inside Modified Talker on my server to use with Fake Zoey, otherwise, she'll be calling for rescue in Nick's voice
Valve developers have programmed these "call for rescue" lines like this since L4D1 released so I didn't change them to "noscene". You can modify your Modified Talker to fit in with Fake Zoey plugin. I could try out new "call for rescue" lines if they won't affect normal usage.
Sev
Veteran Member
Old 09-11-2014 , 17:36   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #37

I'm kinda wondering if these lines (including the last line) could be made into a small plugin similar to Ro's crescent city line with simple commands to call them.

I just enjoy the exchange/lines and I don't think they play with the vanilla talker or the modified talker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcnAjGzXY4g

Last edited by Sev; 09-11-2014 at 17:38.
DeathChaos25
Old 09-11-2014 , 21:06   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #38

Quote:
I'm kinda wondering if these lines (including the last line) could be made into a small plugin similar to Ro's crescent city line with simple commands to call them.

I just enjoy the exchange/lines and I don't think they play with the vanilla talker or the modified talker.

Of course they can, I just need to locate the appropriate vcd files, create timers in between equivalent to the delays in the video, and then just have all of them vocalize after each delay is over.

Edit : Identifying both of Zoey's lines might take some time...
By both I'm referring to;
"Do I have something in my butt?" and,
"Never would've figured you for an ass man"

And the Kick ass Lick ass line might take time to locate too.

Last edited by DeathChaos25; 09-11-2014 at 21:33.
DeathChaos25
Old 09-11-2014 , 21:49   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #39

Small update, I added a check to see if a survivor isn't already vocalizing before attempting to warn for an infected, as not doing so would cause the vocalization to fail but still run the timer to delay for the next infected warning.

This update is very small and does not affect CVARs, so there's no need to delete the .cfg to update.

Last edited by DeathChaos25; 09-11-2014 at 21:51.
id5473
Old 09-12-2014 , 06:24   Re: [L4D2] Special Infected Warnings Vocalize Fix
Reply With Quote #40

Quote:

He can't do this as these lines aren't even from l4d2. It's merely the same voice actor (Jen Taylor).
The second part (where you see her face) however oddly fits even with the echo + face choreography but that might be just coincidence, maybe the game he took it from (possibly Sin episodes?) also had vcd scene files or the creator put some afford into finding a similar scenefile (or even made one) that somehow resembles the mouth movement while playing the wav.

Last edited by id5473; 09-12-2014 at 06:30.