Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Opinions on Coding

Post New Thread Reply   

wrecked_
Veteran Member
Old 06-30-2011 , 14:31   Opinions on Coding
Reply With Quote #1

This thread recently got me thinking about how different everyone is in their views on programming. So my question to you all is exactly that. How do you feel about it?

For example, more often than not, coding will feel as a sort of burden to me. It's less about the satisfaction of writing the actual code that I feel is rewarding, and more about the moment I realize I know exactly how everything is going to be laid out by the time I finish the project. That realization along with the praise and fun that comes out of some of my plugins is what keeps my drive to program.

In the thread mentioned above, I was surprised when I read that Tirant rewrites every single plugin he makes at least once. I couldn't even imagine having to recreate some of my larger projects just to come out with often unnoticeable and trivial optimizations (don't yell at me, you know most are very trivial).

If you don't code then this thread obviously isn't for you, but feel free to post if you have something to contribute.

tl;dr How do you feel about coding? Do you feel the actual writing of the projects to be anything more than a burden?
Mordekay
Squirrel of Fortune
Old 06-30-2011 , 14:57   Re: Opinions on Coding
Reply With Quote #2

I guess this thread isn't at all just about coding. Anything you do can be done severall ways. Making everything as good as possible in first place can make thing go slower. If i search for sollutions in my job i try to think simple in first place. Very often things are build "just to work until we have time to do it right". So it's sometimes nessessary to lay good, but mostly time expenisve things aside to complete some urgent works.
One of my favour sentences: sollutions don't have to look nice, they have to work.

NozerO
Old 06-30-2011 , 17:32   Re: Opinions on Coding
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked_ View Post
How do you feel about coding? Do you feel the actual writing of the projects to be anything more than a burden?
I am not a coder, but i will start learning AMXX Coding soon. I think this thread explains some details. To make a good and successful project, it can take more then a year, but it still worth it if you really want it, that's what i think.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 06-30-2011 , 17:36   Re: Opinions on Coding
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozerO View Post
I am not a coder, but i will start learning AMXX Coding soon. I think this thread explains some details. To make a good and successful project, it can take more then a year, but it still worth it if you really want it, that's what i think.
It really depends on the scale and scope of the project in question. The core of Polymorph took only a couple months but some things take longer like finding and fixing bugs since you have to get most of the bugs from testers or just time to be able to experience all the different situations.
Old 06-30-2011 , 17:52   Re: Opinions on Coding
Reply With Quote #5

I usually try to do things as I have seen other people do in coding. I try to optimize it on the first try, but I don't spend too much time on it. I write it first, and then if I see stuff that is going slow, or it's not as good as I want it to be, I will either re-write it from scratch, or go through the plugin and find things that need to be fixed/optimized.

I also optimize things if I see them while writing/editing things in the code.

I also couldn't imagine writing huge plugins twice, as that would take a lot of time, and although it would probably be better than the first time, I just don't think it is worth it.
If you like my work, please
Send a message via ICQ to nikhilgupta345 Send a message via Yahoo to nikhilgupta345
NozerO
Old 06-30-2011 , 20:02   Re: Opinions on Coding
Reply With Quote #6

Professional Scriptwriters, they like to spend much time coding to get better at it, it helps you to remember faster and you gain more experience.
Jelle
[b]MOAR CANDY[/b]
Old 06-30-2011 , 20:58   Re: Opinions on Coding
Reply With Quote #7

Personally I really love to code. I feel like each time I code I learn something new. Now I am not that good a scripter, so it still quite fun for me. It might dim over time, I don't know.
Exolent[jNr]
Veteran Member
Old 06-30-2011 , 21:27   Re: Opinions on Coding
Reply With Quote #8

Ever since I started learning AMXX, I'd love the concept of programming.
I always enjoy programming new and challenging things.
The only time I feel like I don't want to code something is when it gets redundant and I'm doing the same thing over and over.

When I do code, I always try to optimize the first try, because it's not that hard to find optimizations for me.
If I write a piece of code and then I look at it a few minutes after that piece of code is complete, I might see an easier way to write that piece of code, or even a faster, more efficient way.
For example, I recently wrote a plugin that in one space took about 10 lines of code.
After looking at it for a few seconds, I realized I could shorten it to 1 line of simple code, and I did.

I don't ever settle for "getting the job done" if it isn't efficient.
If I did, then I would be using PreThink is so many cases that would be unnecessary because there are better solutions for the problem.
I'm usually able to think of the best solution I know to solve a problem for AMXX.

If I can't find a great solution for something, or if I think my plugin can be optimized somewhere that I can't see, then I'll share the code with someone who can see it with a fresh set of eyes and point out possible errors and optimizations.
Talking and sharing code with others is an easy and fast method to learn new and better things, such as better solutions whether they are more efficient or just a shorthand in code.
I love you exolent!
minimiller
Veteran Member
Old 07-01-2011 , 06:47   Re: Opinions on Coding
Reply With Quote #9

I dont know if this fits in with the thread (tldr) but i think alot of problems and sloppy code occurs when you dont know the basic syntax of the language.
Too many people think they can just migrate straight off of php or c++ and be sick at amxx(pawn). Unfortunately allthough the basic syntax of most languages is very similar (ifs, switches, loops, parenthesis etc.) its not as simple as most people think.

Although knowledge of a previous language will almost definately help, you still need to put the effort in if you want to succeed.
Veteran Member
Old 07-01-2011 , 07:27   Re: Opinions on Coding
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimiller View Post
I dont know if this fits in with the thread (tldr) but i think alot of problems and sloppy code occurs when you dont know the basic syntax of the language.
Too many people think they can just migrate straight off of php or c++ and be sick at amxx(pawn). Unfortunately allthough the basic syntax of most languages is very similar (ifs, switches, loops, parenthesis etc.) its not as simple as most people think.

Although knowledge of a previous language will almost definately help, you still need to put the effort in if you want to succeed.
Well, you completely missed the topic.

I'll let it slide because it's your birthday.

EDIT: Actually, on that topic, I feel as if most of the larger figures in these parts of the forum started out with Pawn/AMXX before any other major language (no, HTML doesn't count). Doesn't really mean much, just something I've come to notice.