Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Open Source Half-Life Engine

Post New Thread Reply   

gabuch2
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-11-2017 , 09:09   Re: Open Source Half-Life Engine
Reply With Quote #51

I assume you got no answer from Valve? Based on what I read on the TWHL forums you are building an "engine" in the GoldSource mod.
Old 04-11-2017 , 09:19   Re: Open Source Half-Life Engine
Reply With Quote #52

Every email i've sent that covers reverse engineering, asking for help or telling them about existing repositories containing reverse engineered or leaked code has gone unanswered, and no action has been taken against those repositories.

Emails that contained both that and bug reports only got a reply to the report, not the issue of getting help/permission.

The last email that i sent was formed in a way that allows them to not reply and still give permission in a sense, so i'm just going to assume that i can do whatever i want.
safetymoose
Old 04-11-2017 , 19:02   Re: Open Source Half-Life Engine
Reply With Quote #53

Quote:
After some initial analysis and consideration, and with Shepard's help, we've figured out a good way to tackle this: reverse engineer the engine as-is first, then rework it afterwards.
This sounds a lot like what ReHLDS devs are doing. They have a pure version which keeps to the original and a bugfixed version which contains their fixes and improvements.

Have you seen their project? Have you considered working with them?
Solokiller
Old 04-11-2017 , 19:18   Re: Open Source Half-Life Engine
Reply With Quote #54

ReHLDS only covers the engine itself, meaning hw/sw/swds.dll, not the rest. I don't know if none of their code came from leaks, and i found a repository maintained by a ReHLDS developer that seems to use some of the Source engine leaks for tier0 and possibly others.
They also seem to have made changes to the internals in some places, i can't be sure if it's the same.
It shouldn't take too long to replicate the rest of the engine, so i can just finish this up.
PRoSToTeM@
Veteran Member
Old 04-11-2017 , 19:37   Re: Open Source Half-Life Engine
Reply With Quote #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solokiller View Post
ReHLDS only covers the engine itself, meaning hw/sw/swds.dll
And only server part.
Veteran Member
Old 04-18-2017 , 16:37   Re: Open Source Half-Life Engine
Reply With Quote #56

I know this is kind of off-topic but Solo, your HLMV is so awesome and I would like to thank you for all the work and effort you're putting into it and everything else GoldSource related. You're awesome.
Old 06-22-2017 , 04:27   Re: Open Source Half-Life Engine
Reply With Quote #57

Belated thanks

I sent a mail to Mike Dunkle saying that i was rebuilding the engine, got this as a reply:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello Sam,

Valve isn't able to offer the GoldSrc source code to the public under open source or other licenses. We aren't going to give you permission to do this project.

You are violating the Steam Subscriber Agreement by reverse engineering the code. You are also violating rights of Id Software and other licensors that are embodied in GoldSrc.

Please confirm back to me in email that you have removed the reverse engineered code from GitHub, and have ceased reverse engineering the code.

-Mike
I'm going to try to convince them not to shut it down, but you know how this goes.
georgik57
Veteran Member
Old 06-22-2017 , 05:44   Re: Open Source Half-Life Engine
Reply With Quote #58

Ignore them. Do it anyway.
Old 07-08-2017 , 03:18   Re: Open Source Half-Life Engine
Reply With Quote #59

Valve is updating Half-Life and other GoldSource based games. More information here: https://facepunch.com/showthread.php...1#post52440912
HamletEagle
AMX Mod X Plugin Approver
Old 07-08-2017 , 04:09   Re: Open Source Half-Life Engine
Reply With Quote #60

Is this just an ocasional fix or are they going to keep updating and fixing stuff?