Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Dedi Servers

Post New Thread Reply   

Groven
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-05-2014 , 15:34   Dedi Servers
Reply With Quote #1

Hello, I just googled for some dedi servers for my community and I found out these.

Are they good enough for CS 1.6 server? How many slots can they hold?

Im not trying to Advertise anything I just want help.

Click Here

Like how many slots can BSN-EU2 and BSN-EU3 hold. Thx!
DrFallen
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-05-2014 , 19:18   Re: Dedi Servers
Reply With Quote #2

Kinda depends on how many servers you want to run in theory if they are connected on a 1gbps port they should be ok. Depending on saturation from other users ofc. Put it this way if you run one server you'll probably look at the EU2 and it will still be over kill. Its kinda weird because the next package up is an worse processor than the i3 but you would never need 8gb
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 02-05-2014 , 19:29   Re: Dedi Servers
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFallen View Post
Its kinda weird because the next package up is an worse processor than the i3
I don't know how you came to that determination. A Xeon X3450 is much better than a Core i3-530. http://ark.intel.com/compare/46472,42929

EDIT: I would even go as far as saying 1 X3450 is better than 2 i3-530's

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).

Last edited by YamiKaitou; 02-05-2014 at 19:35.
DrFallen
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-05-2014 , 20:30   Re: Dedi Servers
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
I don't know how you came to that determination. A Xeon X3450 is much better than a Core i3-530. http://ark.intel.com/compare/46472,42929

EDIT: I would even go as far as saying 1 X3450 is better than 2 i3-530's
Hmm interesting, Seems it was better than I thought. Still if your only running one server you wouldn't need anymore than the i3 4GB. Upto you though you should have a look at oneProvider which is where these servers seem to be from. Not quoting they are a good company purely because there seems to be more range they seem to being hosted in Paris.
Groven
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-06-2014 , 07:09   Re: Dedi Servers
Reply With Quote #5

Thank you for your kind answers, but how many slots can the Xeon X3450 hold? Like 4x with 32 slots?
YamiKaitou
Old 02-06-2014 , 07:39   Re: Dedi Servers
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groven View Post
Thank you for your kind answers, but how many slots can the Xeon X3450 hold? Like 4x with 32 slots?
Since the X3450 has 8 threads (4 cores), I would say at least 8 servers (32 slots). Depending on other things, you could probably even be able to get away with 16 servers

EDIT: You could probably get even more if you configure it all correctly

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).

Last edited by YamiKaitou; 02-06-2014 at 08:04.
Groven
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-06-2014 , 08:51   Re: Dedi Servers
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Since the X3450 has 8 threads (4 cores), I would say at least 8 servers (32 slots). Depending on other things, you could probably even be able to get away with 16 servers

EDIT: You could probably get even more if you configure it all correctly
Damn thats pretty high! I hope they are trusted . Which Linux system is the best one to run 1.6 servers on?
YamiKaitou
Old 02-06-2014 , 08:56   Re: Dedi Servers
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groven View Post
Which Linux system is the best one to run 1.6 servers on?
Whatever one you are most familiar with. Personally, I use Red Hat based distros, but there are lots of people out there that use Debian based distros. Basically, whatever you are most comfortable with is the one you should go with.

Groven
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-06-2014 , 09:01   Re: Dedi Servers
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Whatever one you are most familiar with. Personally, I use Red Hat based distros, but there are lots of people out there that use Debian based distros. Basically, whatever you are most comfortable with is the one you should go with.
Okay, Is 64 bit better to use then 32 to run servers?
YamiKaitou
Old 02-06-2014 , 09:13   Re: Dedi Servers
Reply With Quote #10

HLDS and SRCDS are both 32bit applications. 32bit supports up to 4GiB of RAM, but Linux can be compiled to support up to 64GiB on 32bit.

Here is an interesting article found on Google: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...bit-linux.html (old article, but it has some good points)

EDIT: With today's technology, go with 64bit if you have any doubts as it offers the most compatibility and future-proofing

Last edited by YamiKaitou; 02-06-2014 at 09:15.