Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Baselines

Post New Thread Reply   

NiHiLaNTh
Way Past Expiration
Old 12-14-2014 , 17:34   Baselines
Reply With Quote #1

Well, maybe its not the proper forum, since I am not asking how to something, but more for some explanation - what are the baselines. Looking in HLSDK I found this (client.cpp):

Spoiler

Moving forward there can found this (it's better commented, so at least something can be understood):
Spoiler

I was searching on the Internets and found one topic on some russian forums about instanced baselines and the only useful info was, that they are supposed to optimize network traffic for the entities that are created often (rockets, grenades, weaponboxes and stuff like that in HLDM (and CS)). So is this true?

and here comes another question: whats the difference between "normal" baselines and instanced baselines?

Send a message via Skype™ to NiHiLaNTh
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 12-14-2014 , 18:23   Re: Baselines
Reply With Quote #2

The answer should be in the code that you removed. I'm guessing it essentially creating the necessary resources for things (players, objects, etc) before they are used. Equivalent to pre-allocating memory.

The difference between them should also be in the code.
Old 12-15-2014 , 09:56   Re: Baselines
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
The answer should be in the code that you removed. I'm guessing it essentially creating the necessary resources for things (players, objects, etc) before they are used. Equivalent to pre-allocating memory.

The difference between them should also be in the code.
Well I hooked those 2 forwards, and dumped everything and it seems that InstancedBaselines are not used at all. As for baselines itself - they are called once per entity (in my situation it printed data for func_buyzone, func_illusionary and info_player_ entities.
As for the code, InstancedBaselines have almost no code in HLSDK, so the purpose of them is still not 100% clear.

Spoiler

CreateBaseline
Spoiler

Last edited by NiHiLaNTh; 12-15-2014 at 09:59.
Send a message via Skype™ to NiHiLaNTh