Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

FF2 Drain Over Time rage platform (v1.0.1)

Post New Thread Reply   

sarysa
Old 06-17-2014 , 13:35   Drain Over Time rage platform (v1.0.1)
Reply With Quote #1

I've posted around about this thing but have been dragging my heels in releasing it. If you've ever been on VSP recently you've noticed a couple funny reload activated rages. Here's the platform for them.

DRAIN OVER TIME PLATFORM
What is it?
It's a platform for rages that, instead of consuming all of a person's rage, consumes only part of a person's rage. This consumption can be done at the beginning of the rage, at the end of the rage, and even throughout the duration of the rage in roughly 100ms intervals.

How does it work?
It just runs a 100ms looping timer in the background if the user has the dot_base ability. It uses global forwards (like FF2) to inform DOT subplugins that the rage has been activated, deactivated, ticking, the user dies (important in a duo boss), etc.

How are these rages used?
By default, DOT rages use the RELOAD key, but ATTACK3(aka Special) is an option. Only recommended for those rare cases where RELOAD causes problems. (like it does with my "teleport sniper" example below) A lot of players have no idea ATTACK3 even exists...

Some examples of rages/bosses using DOT?
Beam rage (not public at this time)
Cheese Sandwich uses a "manic mode" rage which is just a combined version of dot_model_swap, dot_weapon_swap, and dot_sentry_knockback_immunity rages in the public version. That's old footage, so it's missing the RELOAD overlay.

Do I need to mess with FF2 source files?

Not at all. The platform itself is a subplugin of FF2, and I use reflection to allow subplugins to communicate with drain_over_time.ff2. (since natives are not an option -- load order)

Can DOTs and standard rages coexist in one file?
Yes.

What rages are included?
What's there is pretty simple, but it's definitely usable with a live hale. It's mainly intended for demonstration purposes...some rages like the looping sound are just stupid. See the sample .cfg files for documentation on the individual rages...below are just some summaries.
dot_weapon_swap - Swap out one weapon for another for the duration of the DOT
dot_model_swap - Swap out one model for another for the duration of the DOT. Compatibility is a concern you need to manage.
dot_sentry_knockback_immunity - Makes player immune to sentry knockback while the DOT is active.
dot_looping_sound - Plays a sound to all in a fixed interval. (lol)
dot_teleport - A more or less direct port of the otokiru War3 teleport rage, with the same bugs and exploits which that one had.

I'm hoping this platform will catch on and there'll be more variety in rages and how they're executed. Anyway, here's what each file does and how to install them:
dots_materials_dir.zip - Relative to your base dir for TF2 assets, these materials (location hardcoded) are used for an animating overlay that informs the user their DOT rage is usable. I used server-side animation to get around the issue where overlays are lost when the boss is set on fire.
dots_sourcemod_dir_v1_0_0.zip - Unzip these inside your sourcemod directory. It's just binaries, source, includes.
engivag.cfg and teleport_sniper.cfg - Just a couple tweaked old standards who have been given DOT abilities. Engivag has more typical DOT abilities, while Sniper has a ported version of Otokiru's War3 teleport which is a one-use ability. Though there are some useful things in public_dots.sp, with some of the rages it's only meant to demonstrate functionality.
dot_template.sp - A minimal DOT source file that should show you where to put stuff.

Credit for some code bits go to the FF2 team and Friagram for a couple of pointers re: cleanup.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dots_materials_dir.zip (24.3 KB, 758 views)
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (dot_template.sp - 475 views - 3.5 KB)
File Type: cfg engivag.cfg (5.8 KB, 843 views)
File Type: cfg teleport_sniper.cfg (4.3 KB, 751 views)
File Type: zip dots_sourcemod_dir_v1_0_1.zip (48.1 KB, 958 views)

Last edited by sarysa; 08-10-2014 at 19:36. Reason: updated with 1.10.0 civilian workaround
sarysa
Old 06-17-2014 , 13:36   Re: Drain Over Time rage platform (v1.0.0)
Reply With Quote #2

Reserved for documentation.
Old 06-17-2014 , 15:23   Re: Drain Over Time rage platform (v1.0.0)
Reply With Quote #3

Eggman also did this in his Skeleton King boss (but it's probably not as full-featured as an entire subplugin dedicated to it).
Nice job .
Old 08-02-2014 , 11:23   Re: Drain Over Time rage platform (v1.0.0)
Reply With Quote #4

is it just me or is this broken because of the new ff2 version?
because when i try to use it, it gives me no weapon and overall
let me be in civillian modus
Spyper
Old 08-03-2014 , 06:03   Re: Drain Over Time rage platform (v1.0.0)
Reply With Quote #5

Last edited by Spyper; 08-06-2014 at 10:39. Reason: .
sarysa
Old 08-04-2014 , 15:51   Re: Drain Over Time rage platform (v1.0.0)
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by M76030 View Post
is it just me or is this broken because of the new ff2 version?
because when i try to use it, it gives me no weapon and overall
let me be in civillian modus
Sigh...god damnit.

I really don't want to rock the boat with my local copy of FF2, heh. This isn't a problem with VSP where 4 hales get the same reload ability so it must be something 1.10.X is doing.

WildCard or Wilu, has anything changed with weapon equipping in the new version? All that I'm doing here is re-equipping the user's weapon after round start and an 0.3s time delay, for consistency since multi-weapon hales like bonk boy tend to have problems with this. I do the exact same thing with Thi Barrett (the ROTT boss) but no one has reported this issue yet.

Also, M7, if the hale presses RELOAD to change their weapon does this get fixed? Typically weapon swaps do fix civilian hale issues.

Last edited by sarysa; 08-04-2014 at 15:52.
Wliu
Veteran Member
Old 08-04-2014 , 16:42   Re: Drain Over Time rage platform (v1.0.0)
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarysa View Post
Sigh...god damnit.

I really don't want to rock the boat with my local copy of FF2, heh. This isn't a problem with VSP where 4 hales get the same reload ability so it must be something 1.10.X is doing.

WildCard or Wilu, has anything changed with weapon equipping in the new version? All that I'm doing here is re-equipping the user's weapon after round start and an 0.3s time delay, for consistency since multi-weapon hales like bonk boy tend to have problems with this. I do the exact same thing with Thi Barrett (the ROTT boss) but no one has reported this issue yet.

Also, M7, if the hale presses RELOAD to change their weapon does this get fixed? Typically weapon swaps do fix civilian hale issues.
EquipBoss() gets called once in MakeBoss(). I know I got rid of ReEquipBoss (I think because of the new class-changing functionality). That might be the problem, though it was kinda broken to start with (it would re-equip you every single time...what's the point of an if-check then?).
This would be a lot easier if Github actually showed me the 1.9.3-->1.10.0 diff instead of complaining that it's too big.

If the boss is showing up with no weapons, that would either mean EquipBoss isn't doing its job or your re-equipping thing is broken.

What exactly is the problem with multi-weapon bosses?

Last edited by Wliu; 08-04-2014 at 16:43.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 08-04-2014 , 18:34   Re: Drain Over Time rage platform (v1.0.0)
Reply With Quote #8

This is why you use event round active instead of teamspawn, and post inventory application instead of player spawn.

Last edited by friagram; 08-04-2014 at 18:34.
M76030
Old 08-05-2014 , 03:03   Re: Drain Over Time rage platform (v1.0.0)
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarysa View Post
when i press RELOAD again, everything is fine then, the hale gets his "original" weapon back
sarysa
Old 08-10-2014 , 19:38   Re: Drain Over Time rage platform (v1.0.1)
Reply With Quote #10

Alright, I've updated public_dots.sp with a workaround that aggressively (every 0.5 seconds) checks if the hale has an invalid active weapon. If they do, they're reset back to factory settings. (by that I mean they have whatever weapon they should have ;P )
Get the sourcemod dir 1.0.1 from the original post in this thread.

I tested that in my local dev server 1.9.2 by adding a command to make myself a civilian. Hopefully it'll work in your 1.10.0.

By the way, do you have the Thi Barrett (ROTT) boss and does this happen with her as well? If so I'll have to update her...again...

Last edited by sarysa; 08-10-2014 at 19:39.