Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[TF2] Spawn Stickybomb Removal

Post New Thread Reply   

friagram
Veteran Member
Old 05-05-2013 , 22:21   Re: [TF2] Spawn Stickybomb Removal
Reply With Quote #11

Wouldnt it be better to just cache all the spawn point entities (func respawnrooms/info teamspawns/visualizers)-whatever you decide to use on round/map start, rather than constantly scan for them? Obviously info teamspawn is going to give the most compatability with custom stuff, but since it is cached, and it kills it on first find of enemy info teamspawn, it wont have to iterate over much.

I have noticed a lot of valve maps will have info player teamspwans set with the any team out and about in random places, but this should not cause any problems as they can be ignored.

Edit: actually might be better to just use func respawnrooms. There are fewer, but I think all maps have those, except maybe arena, but that wont matter. Only real bad custom maps wont have them.

Then use onentitycreated tf projectile pipe or whatever it is to call into the spawned entity, and check team and ownership, and distance from saved entity? This would just get rid of them faster, i think.

Last edited by friagram; 05-05-2013 at 22:35.
ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 05-05-2013 , 23:15   Re: [TF2] Spawn Stickybomb Removal
Reply With Quote #12

Caching the locations of the spawn doors is on the to-do list on the first post. In fact, it is the ONLY thing on that list. :\ Unless you mean something else that I don't understand.

Wouldn't OnEntityCreated return the location of the bomb when it spawns, rather than where it lands? All a demo would have to do is launch his stickies from a large distance to get around this plugin's protections.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 05-06-2013 , 05:33   Re: [TF2] Spawn Stickybomb Removal
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhoward View Post
Caching the locations of the spawn doors is on the to-do list on the first post. In fact, it is the ONLY thing on that list. :\ Unless you mean something else that I don't understand.

Wouldn't OnEntityCreated return the location of the bomb when it spawns, rather than where it lands? All a demo would have to do is launch his stickies from a large distance to get around this plugin's protections.
mmhmm you use a timer, so it destroys them reliably. Honestly it would not be a bad idea to just use strcmp and set it to something like tf_projectile and nuke them all if the red>blu room or blu> red room. Some people hate getting pill/rocket spammed, as well as jarated or milked or whatever. So that would catch all, with the onentitycreated.

I have a few plugins that cache spawn points. You don't have to store the entities by reference, since they're pretty stable and they won't get deleted (usually) but I guess you never know what will happen in some weird maps.

One thing about using the Origin, is that entity origins can be moved on brush entities (I think?) to strange areas, if you so desire. They don't have to be in the middle of the brush. It may be wiser to calculate the center of the brush based on the mins/maxs of the brush (respawnrooms dont' have to be square, but it doesn't matter anyways, really). Then calculate distance from this point, and cache it, and pair to the ent.