Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
Gameplay
Plugin Game:
Left 4 Dead
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
    Forces Director to randomly spawn special infected (coop only)
    Old 07-11-2009 , 17:39   [L4D] Left4Survive
    Reply With Quote #1

Description:

This plugin forces L4D director to spawn special infected randomly by changing its special infected limits. It's for coop only. By default, you can face up to 4 special infected when Director spawns them, as group or single infected. The group is never the same. Sometimes you can fight 2 boomers and a hunter, 3 smokers, 4 or 5 different infected or a single one. Beware, this plugin changes the Director usual behavior so it can be really frustrating.

Purpose:

The idea came up from a friend that asked me about the possibility of having more special infected during coop round. Since we mastered how to get rid of one single special infected at time, we wanted to increase the challenge for coop experience. And it worked. Some players yell on the mic "WATCH OUT, there's another hunter!". The coolest thing is that Director can spawn them in different spots so they can trap Survivors very easily. No more rushing alone or moving foward after killing all of them (Boomer, Hunter and Smoker, they all spawn together). Now you really have to work as a team and keep everyone alive because you will probably need your teammate when hunters start to fly around.

Config:

There are a few convars you can use to tune it: (cfg file)
    sm_l4s_enable (default 1): Turn on/off random spawning of special infected (enable/disable plugin).
    sm_l4s_method (default 1): Method to use. '1' is default, Director spawns infected according to the limits changed by the plugin core. '2' the plugin spawns them 'manually'. The '1' is working fine since version 1.1.
    sm_l4s_maxinfected (default 4): Sets the maximum number of special infected you can have at once. This limit blocks the spawning of more special infected till the Survivors kill one of them. The greater it is, the greater is the number of infected you can face.
    sm_l4s_spawngroup (default 0): Turn on/off group spawn (All together. If 1, group spawn will be enforced). By default ('1'), the game spawns a Boomer, a Hunter and a Smoker, all together. Setting to '0', the Director spawns them based in time interval. Also, leaving this convar default ('0'), the plugin will randomly change the group spawn game convar.
    sm_l4s_spawninterval (default 25.0): Sets the random time interval. Time which plugin will update the special infected limit table. The lower it is, the bigger is the variety of infected.
    sm_l4s_coefficient (default 0): Sets a sum coefficient for the special infected limit. Better keep default, '0'. The coefficient set will sum to the random limit table of special infected so you will have more infected.
    sm_l4s_showhint (default 1): Turn on/off death hints. Silly kill hint (center text).

Update: Check the cfg file 'Left4Survive.cfg' in <left4dead\cfg\sourcemod> to setup the plugin convars.
    Update: Fixed the lag issue when more than 3 special infected are spawned.

Credits:

Valve for the cool game. SourceMod team for making this possible for us.

Change log:

0.x - Base code.
    1.0 - First release.
    1.1 - Fixed lag when we have more than 4 special infected in scene.

Known bugs:

- The game can get a huge lag if you try to spawn more than 5 infected. Since my PC is really low-end, I can not ensure you this is a bug. (no longer occurs)

That's it. Hope you enjoy it!
    Attached Files
    File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (l4d_left4survive.sp - 3879 views - 19.4 KB)

Last edited by MagnoT; 07-17-2009 at 14:04. Reason: Update plugin version
    GM-Scorp
    Old 07-11-2009 , 18:44   Re: [L4D] Left4Survive
    Reply With Quote #2

Can you enable and disable through the admin menu or do i have to type it in the console everytime ?

BTW Nice plugin its gonna get harder on Expert now lol
    Send a message via MSN to GM-Scorp
    GrossKopf
    Old 07-11-2009 , 19:42   Re: [L4D] Left4Survive
    Reply With Quote #3

What are the defaults for the cvars?
    MagnoT
    Old 07-11-2009 , 19:48   Re: [L4D] Left4Survive
    Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GM-Scorp View Post
    Can you enable and disable through the admin menu or do i have to type it in the console everytime ?

BTW Nice plugin its gonna get harder on Expert now lol
    No, the plugin creates a cfg file in <left4dead\cfg\SourceMod> to store the settings.
    I didn't put it in the Admin menu because there's no point in activate and desactivate a lot of time .
    It runs enabled by default. To disable it, set the 'sm_l4s_enabled' entry in the cfg file to '0'. It doesn't work for versus or survival. It turns to disabled automaticly.

And yeah, it's kind of harder beat the game in Expert now. The average time is 1 hour and a half.
    GrossKopf
    Old 07-11-2009 , 19:55   Re: [L4D] Left4Survive
    Reply With Quote #5

I've added it to my server.. can't wait until I have time to test it.
    ed-ward
    Old 09-09-2009 , 14:02   Re: [L4D] Left4Survive
    Reply With Quote #6

I'm having problem with this. It caused special infected never spawned in the whole campaign (since the first until the last chapter). Sometimes it will spawn but just 1 or 2 special infected spawned, and after that I never see any special infected spawned. I played it in coop mode.
    AKCoyote
    Old 09-10-2009 , 23:41   Re: [L4D] Left4Survive
    Reply With Quote #7

If sm_l4s_spawngroup is set to "0" does that mean that a single SI is spawned according to what sm_l4s_spawninterval is defined as? Like, if sm_l4s_spawninterval is set to 10, a single random SI is spawned every 10 seconds?

Also, could someone explain what sm_l4s_coefficient does? From what I can infer, if it is set to, for example, "5" does that mean there will always be, at any given time, 5 SI spawned?

I installed this plugin on my server, and can't wait to get it up and running.

Thanks!

AKCoyote
    sxulocktor
    Old 09-22-2009 , 17:43   Re: [L4D] Left4Survive
    Reply With Quote #8

HI!

well, i have installed this plugin in my server but i have a problem: The zombies doesnt appear / spawn!

here is my CFG file:

Quote:
    // This file was auto-generated by SourceMod (v1.2.3)
    // ConVars for plugin "l4d_left4survive.smx"

// [L4S] Sets a sum coefficient for the special infected limit
    // -
    // Default: "0"
    sm_l4s_coefficient "0"

// [L4S] Turn on/off random spawning of special infected
    // -
    // Default: "1"
    sm_l4s_enable "1"

// [L4S] Sets the maximum number of special infected
    // -
    // Default: "4"
    sm_l4s_maxinfected "8"

// [L4S] Method to use
    // -
    sm_l4s_method "1"

// [L4S] Turn on/off death hints
    // -
    sm_l4s_showhint "0"

// [L4S] Turn on/off group spawn (if 1, group spawn will be enforced)
    // -
    // Default: "0"
    sm_l4s_spawngroup "0"

// [L4S] Sets the random interval
    // -
    // Default: "25.0"
    sm_l4s_spawninterval "20.0"
    MagnoT
    Old 09-23-2009 , 15:26   Re: [L4D] Left4Survive
    Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AKCoyote View Post
    If sm_l4s_spawngroup is set to "0" does that mean that a single SI is spawned according to what sm_l4s_spawninterval is defined as? Like, if sm_l4s_spawninterval is set to 10, a single random SI is spawned every 10 seconds?

Also, could someone explain what sm_l4s_coefficient does? From what I can infer, if it is set to, for example, "5" does that mean there will always be, at any given time, 5 SI spawned?

I installed this plugin on my server, and can't wait to get it up and running.

Thanks!

AKCoyote
    AKCoyote, sm_l4s_spawngroup is just a handler for a L4D convar (z_ghost_group_spawn). A group is a set of one of each SI (Hunter, Boomer and Smoker). When you set 'sm_l4s_spawngroup' to '0', the Director uses time intervals to spawn SI's. 'sm_l4s_spawninterval' is a plugin handler, it sets the time interval when the plugin will set new SI limits. Lower values will make the plugin to storm the round with different group of SI in a short period of time.
    'sm_l4s_coefficient' is a sum (+) coefficient used to force the plugin to add at least +1 SI to the limit table (if the current limit table spawns 3 hunters, sm_l4s_coefficient set to 1 will add +1 to that limit table, so you will have 6 hunters). So do not use high values.
    I'll update the plugin to spawn Tanks as well.
    Stormhold
    Old 10-10-2009 , 08:12   Re: [L4D] Left4Survive
    Reply With Quote #10

I can't spawn more than 3 SI, although type of SI really random and they don't spawn Group. Do I need superversus or something else? - Recompile of the source solved the problem ...

Last edited by Stormhold; 10-11-2009 at 07:11.