Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System v0.5.5.0 Beta

Post New Thread Reply   

Jindo
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-29-2009 , 10:54   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shustas View Post
So is this some another !radio plugin or can it actualy play music for events like hs or connecting or map end?
And streaming music from where internet or local game server?
This has so much more functionality than the !radio plugins available, as it lets players play specific songs (provided you've added them).

Adjusting it to play sounds at times such as map end, connection etc wouldn't be too difficult either, and if it hasn't already been added, I'm sure SirLamer would eventually add these extra features once all the bug testing is out of the way .
Old 09-29-2009 , 11:40   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System
Reply With Quote #12

So more info on how it works please. I dont get where it streams music from, is it from server or links or something else? And whats the load for server and clients?
Old 09-29-2009 , 11:43   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
So more info on how it works please. I dont get where it streams music from, is it from server or links or something else? And whats the load for server and clients?

Just curious, Did you read any of the instructions in the download? or for that matter anything on the first post?

Its all pretty well explained between those two things....

Note trying to be rude or anything, btw.

Last edited by BDeep; 09-29-2009 at 11:46. Reason: Updated...
Jindo
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-29-2009 , 14:46   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Well, as the first post explains pretty well,

The plugin plays audio hosted on your own webspace, the audio you host there is managed by a small web interface, the sounds are played through an invisible MOTD in-game (so no downloading songs during map-load time), and as it says, it's "Streamed", which means it doesn't have to load the entire song/sound before it starts playing it.
Old 09-29-2009 , 15:12   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System
Reply With Quote #15

Jindo has it about right. Basically Jukebox is iTunes for your server. The real value in it is to be able to DJ music for your server. People really get into it and it lightens the mood.

I totally intend to add some more features. I have a list of ideas, including your suggestion, but I have limited the complexity of the first release to just playing music on demand so that we can focus on getting the main playback features to work. Basically at some point I decided Jukebox was "feature complete" and restricted myself to debugging before thinking of some of the later ideas.

Some planned future features:
  • Improve eavesdrop and other "join a stream" operations by starting playback at the right point of the song instead of just at the beginning. If your server doesn't mind people singing away to songs on the mic, this is why this is important.
  • Add options for admins to play certain songs or select randomly from a list of songs during different events, such as map change on first connection. This won't interrupt people who are already listening to music.
  • Pre-Buffer the playback program on first connection in order to remove the lag spike players get when the first song is played.
  • Try to figure out a way to let servers feature a HTML-based MOTD page without it interrupting playback on every map change.
  • Better and easier song uploading.

A long-term goal is to write a karaoke plugin that works in conjunction with Jukebox. I also intend to clean up Jukebox's code and layout to make it easier for others to borrow from.

Right now Jukebox does not support live streams, but if it turns out that people want that integrated with Jukebox's interface then I might look into adding it one day.

The plugin does work by loading a webpage in the background that uses the brower's default media player. It basically loads into the in-game web browser, the same one that shows the MOTD pages, but it does so in the background and without displaying it. When the user plays their first song, there is a sudden and long "lag spike" of 1 to 5 seconds, which is actually the game process yielding to the non-threaded webpage loading the media player into memory. After the first song, the pause when a song is loaded is about 1/20 of a second and no one notices or cares. The page itself is deliberately very minimalist and is just a media player control with no graphics or text or anything. It is exactly the same script that is used to play tracks from the administrator's web interface, which appears as a windowed media player.

Plugins: Jukebox for Source

Last edited by SirLamer; 09-29-2009 at 15:22.
shustas
SourceMod Donor
Old 09-29-2009 , 16:08   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System
Reply With Quote #16

ok nice, thanks for info
Old 09-29-2009 , 16:58   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System
Reply With Quote #17

Hello Sir Lamer,

I've completely reinstalled the new 4.0 version of your plug-in but the problem I was experiencing still exists:

Code:
Fatal error:  Call to a member function value() on a non-object in C:\xampp\htdocs\jukebox\include\security.php on line 21
Attached is what the on-screen error looks like along with the edited plug-in files. I'm currently using XAMPP 1.7.2.

Thank You!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	50754  
Attached Files
File Type: zip jukebox.zip (197.5 KB, 320 views)
BDeep
Old 09-29-2009 , 18:18   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDeep View Post
Code:
L 09/28/2009 - 21:48:38: [SM] Plugin encountered error 11: Invalid memory access
L 09/28/2009 - 21:48:38: [SM] Displaying call stack trace for plugin "jukebox.smx":
L 09/28/2009 - 21:48:38: [SM]   [0]  Line 2966, W:\server script\sourcemod123\scripting\jukebox.sp::DelayedDisplayMessage()
L 09/28/2009 - 21:49:31: [SM] Plugin encountered error 11: Invalid memory access
L 09/28/2009 - 21:49:31: [SM] Displaying call stack trace for plugin "jukebox.smx":
L 09/28/2009 - 21:49:31: [SM]   [0]  Line 2966, W:\server script\sourcemod123\scripting\jukebox.sp::DelayedDisplayMessage()
L 09/28/2009 - 22:00:27: [SM] Plugin encountered error 11: Invalid memory access
L 09/28/2009 - 22:00:27: [SM] Displaying call stack trace for plugin "jukebox.smx":
L 09/28/2009 - 22:00:27: [SM]   [0]  Line 2966, W:\server script\sourcemod123\scripting\jukebox.sp::DelayedDisplayMessage()
I followed the setup instructions to the "T" I can upload files and add them, however when i try to play them from the website a window pops up with a WMP plugin in it but wont play anything. In game the menu comes up but nothing will play. The errors above happen as soon as someone types one of the Jukebox commands. IF you want to see the site PM me and I will get you the URL and a user/pass.

Also users cannot register after I created my login, it just takes them to the login page when they click "register"

Other than all of that it looks like a great plugin and I am anxious to get it working.
Update: It happens when you pick a song to play. It also lags the server for a second for everyone
Old 09-29-2009 , 19:10   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System
Reply With Quote #19

The lag is normal and expected and should happen only once. It is explained above. I intend to design against it in the future but until 90% of people are happily running Jukebox, I am going to leave it be.

I am on my phone now (and I have a tournament to run on my server tonight) so I will review all identified issues at my next opportunity.

Edit: Also, while I really am comitted to resolving everyone's bugs, if you are itching to try out a working version then I invite you to come try it out on my TF2 server. The address is gloryhole.nuclearfallout.net on port 27015. It's also a really unique and fun server. ;)

Plugins: Jukebox for Source

Last edited by SirLamer; 09-29-2009 at 21:03.
SirLamer
Old 09-29-2009 , 21:23   Re: Jukebox for Source - Streaming Music System
Reply With Quote #20

I have temporarily prepared a demo account on my own website installation for those who want to preview it. It is a "user" account only, meaning no uploading or admin rights, but you can see the Browse page as well as view the playback script itself as was requested.

Address: www.teamcheesus.com/gloryhole/jukebox
Login name: demouser
Password: sourcemod

Please do not abuse this account by repeatedly using it for personal use. For the sake of people reading this in the future, this account will be disabled when i get a better demo site running.

As a reminder, the website calls and uses the same playback script as the SourceMod plugin does. I don't have any experience with it crashing clients while loading in game, though sometimes some client machines refuse to play the music even though they are loading the script and media player in the background. This is rare, though.