Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Gameinfo.txt please

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 11-05-2005 , 07:51  

I try to avoid (if possible) running any server, whether it's test environment or not, non-dedicated, I prefer the most stable environment I know, which is a dedicated server, and it *is* possible to run a dedicated server on the same machine you play on, however, I don't suggest advertising it as a public server for a few reasons, 1 security, 2 you probably don't have the bandwidth for it and people will lag like crazy. Here's a screenshot of a DoD: Source running on my local machine along with it's command line set up.

Dedicated Local Server Screenshot

To run this
All you need is the hldsupdatetool (available free for linux or windows on steampowered.com) and to know 2 command lines to it.

There are also a few instructional videos on how to set up a server like this floating around the web somewhere. You just change a couple things to them to make it work on a "local" environment.

Really, I have, with both Source and HL1 based games have had more crashes, lock ups, freezes, and problems running a listen server than anything else. I personally do not suggest it.

There's other command line options you can use to modify other settings as well, but I'm not gonna go over it.

Alright rant against listen server as a test environment done....

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers
sweat
Old 06-24-2006 , 18:52   Re: Gameinfo.txt please

mongoose, some of us get lag running a dedicated server and just want a small but good quality lan game, thats why we use listenserver, otherwise ofcourse i would use dedicated.
SWAT_FEAR
Old 11-06-2006 , 20:12   Re: Gameinfo.txt please

Hey all

I am having the same problem as most of the rest of u seem to be having, I used to run a dedicated cs server before source came out. I have 1 ? do u need to put the exe file path for metamod into the server cfg, because I know we did with the old cs, I wonder if that is maybe why we cant get it to work in source. I have not seen anything in the directions for install saying u need to have that for metamod. Is this what the gameinfo.txt is supposed to do? Or should we maybe put a filepath in server.cfg to point in that direction
BAILOPAN
Old 11-09-2006 , 02:27   Re: Gameinfo.txt please

You've bumped a five month old, well worn topic.

On top of that, what you've said makes no sense. Metamod had no exe file, and it never went into any server.cfg.

If you mean liblist.gam, yes, gameinfo.txt is the equivalent. Anyway, this is getting locked because it's a very old bump.