Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Valve Hammer Editor error: "The system cannot find the file specified."

Post New Thread Reply   

GlobalPlague
Old 12-18-2022 , 14:29   Valve Hammer Editor error: "The system cannot find the file specified."
Reply With Quote #1

Hello, i learned how to make maps, but the compiler can't compile the map. I read some online posts, it seems the problems comes from "brushes" and "leaks", things i don't know what they are. However, i'm 100% sure my map doesn't contain errors, because i'm doing it correctly.

Here is a video about how exactly i build the map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUZwHWUmXQE

Watch the video and tell me if i do it wrong. Basically, i make a hollow box, then add textures (walls, road, sky) and a light source. That's it. I made a simplistic map for the sake of the video, just to show you the error.

Sorry for the black bars and the low quality of the video.

So, what do you think? Is the error caused by me doing something not in the right way, or what? Also, if Valve Hammer Editor can't compile the map, what other programs (compilers) can i use to compile the map?

The Valve Hammer Editor i use is 100% legit, i have a Steam profile and downloaded Half-Life SDK.
GlobalPlague
Old 12-18-2022 , 14:44   Re: Valve Hammer Editor error: "The system cannot find the file specified."
Reply With Quote #2

UPDATE: I forgot to add some additional information. I actually introduced a change. The only change i have introduced was to open regedit, go to HK_CURRENT_USER, find Software -> Valve -> Valve Hammer Editor -> 3D Views -> ModelDistance, shift from "Hexadecimal" to "decimal" and change the value to 80000.

Could the compiler malfunction be caused by this change?
luki1412
Veteran Member
Old 12-19-2022 , 06:36   Re: Valve Hammer Editor error: "The system cannot find the file specified."
Reply With Quote #3

Looking at the video, you can see "access is denied" multiple times so the program cant create files in the specified location so it then fails to find it.

Either change the permissions on that folder or change the location to a different one.
Old 12-20-2022 , 08:10   Re: Valve Hammer Editor error: "The system cannot find the file specified."
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki1412 View Post
Looking at the video, you can see "access is denied" multiple times so the program cant create files in the specified location so it then fails to find it.

Either change the permissions on that folder or change the location to a different one.
I solved the problem by using another, third-party compiler. For now, i can't solve the problem ,so i will use third-party compiler. If i find a way to fix the problem, i will use the VHE compiler.

Thanks for your recommendation, i will try it.