Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Is there any way to make pingboost 3 work

Post New Thread Reply   

ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 03-27-2012 , 17:38   Is there any way to make pingboost 3 work
Reply With Quote #1

Is there any way to run pingboost 3 without it speeding up the servers?

My machine has a Xeon X3-1230 processor (3.2GHz on 4 cores, 8 virtual cores) with 8GB DDR3 RAM.

I set sys_ticrate 1000 and pingboost 3 and pull a steady 1000fps, but the server runs too quickly.

I set sys_ticrate 999 with pingboost 3 and the fps fluctuates between 800-999, but the server still runs too quickly.

What does it take for pingboost 3 to NOT speed up the server?
neoRT
Old 03-27-2012 , 18:39   Re: Is there any way to make pingboost 3 work
Reply With Quote #2

Did you try to change sv_maxspeed to a lower value?
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 03-27-2012 , 18:56   Re: Is there any way to make pingboost 3 work
Reply With Quote #3

I thought that cvar dealt with how quickly people ran. The issue is that EVERYTHING is going too quickly. Timers, reload animations, etc.
Calebdk
Old 03-28-2012 , 02:29   Re: Is there any way to make pingboost 3 work
Reply With Quote #4

neoRT: sv_maxspeeds has nothing to do with what FPS the server is running but you probably knew that and thought it was a funny joke to confuse people that needed help.

If you use pingboost 3 and are using host_speeds 1 to check your fps on the server then it will fluctuate but "stats" will give 1000.0 fps since its the highest value it can put out. If you change sys_ticrate to less than 1000 then it will be around the 800 to 900 fps as you wrote.

So try to stick with pingboost 2 or 1 for better gameplay even though it wont give precise 1000fps
Baghi
Old 03-28-2012 , 04:11   Re: Is there any way to make pingboost 3 work
Reply With Quote #5

I heard somewhere that since protocol 48 two options became buggy, i.e. history tab in CS and -pingboost 3. Not too sure though.
Veteran Member
Old 03-28-2012 , 06:42   Re: Is there any way to make pingboost 3 work
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calebdk View Post
neoRT: sv_maxspeeds has nothing to do with what FPS the server is running but you probably knew that and thought it was a funny joke to confuse people that needed help.

If you use pingboost 3 and are using host_speeds 1 to check your fps on the server then it will fluctuate but "stats" will give 1000.0 fps since its the highest value it can put out. If you change sys_ticrate to less than 1000 then it will be around the 800 to 900 fps as you wrote.

So try to stick with pingboost 2 or 1 for better gameplay even though it wont give precise 1000fps
All you did was repeat what I said in my OP. But even when it has a lower fps, the server still moves too quickly. This is the issue, and I was wondering if there was a fix.
sylar02
Old 03-28-2012 , 18:40   Re: Is there any way to make pingboost 3 work
Reply With Quote #7

alright, centos user here, i have used 5.5, 5.6 and 6.2

and this would only happen to me if i put ticrate more than 1100 on my servers with pingboost 3. this is the first time i have ever heard it speed up by merely using sys_ticrate 1000. (i modified my kernel though, making config_hz to 1000 and changed user_hz to 1000 as well)

are u absolutely sure your ticrate is 1000? please confirm that with rcon sys_ticrate after starting your gs. i had a silly mistake like this before where sys_ticrate was defined twice in my server.cfg, thus even after modifying first one, second one would over write the value for first one.

also try using sys_ticrate 10000 and pingboost 2.

and i do hope u realize that server wont run on 1000fps constantly, no matter what kind of machine u have, after 10-12 players joining your server, your gs will fluctuate between 900-1000
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 03-28-2012 , 19:49   Re: Is there any way to make pingboost 3 work
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylar02
are u absolutely sure your ticrate is 1000?
Yes, I am absolutely sure. It was even running too fast when I used sys_ticrate 999, as I mentioned in the OP.

Quote:
and i do hope u realize that server wont run on 1000fps constantly, no matter what kind of machine u have, after 10-12 players joining your server, your gs will fluctuate between 900-1000
It didn't fluctuate at all when I tried it. I was monitoring the server for a few hours with 10-20 people on it, and it never dipped. (Of course, that was before I noticed the server was running too quickly, thus ruining my ambitions...)

Last edited by ghostofmybrain; 03-28-2012 at 19:50.