Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Hosting workshop maps

Post New Thread Reply   

King Cnut
Old 06-12-2015 , 17:41   Hosting workshop maps
Reply With Quote #1

Since Valve supposedly fixed server owners' issues with running workshop maps, has anyone ever figured out how to do it successfully? Would you mind sharing how it's accomplished? Valve has decided it's best to keep it secret.
Old 06-12-2015 , 20:43   Re: Hosting workshop maps
Reply With Quote #2

Yeah, I've been interested in setting this up so I don't have to host so many files for downloading. I heard that it might have issues, but that was before the new update.
hamilton5
Veteran Member
Old 06-12-2015 , 23:32   Re: Hosting workshop maps
Reply With Quote #3

what game
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 06-12-2015 , 23:55   Re: Hosting workshop maps
Reply With Quote #4

I'm assuming TF2 because of http://store.steampowered.com/news/17214/

Valve admittedly has been doing a pretty piss bad job with the map workshop documentation. It's as bad as someone releasing a library in C/Java/Python without any documentation on how to use it or how it works.

I subscribe to a map and when it downloads to my client, I upload the map to fastdl (which, for mann vs machine, I need to do anyway since MvM has nav and pop files in addition to the bsp as dependencies) and the normal business continues.

Last edited by Potato Uno; 06-12-2015 at 23:56.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-13-2015 , 01:12   Re: Hosting workshop maps
Reply With Quote #5

You still need to run tf_workshop_map_sync to actually download the map to the server the first time... it just doesn't need to be run after that.

At this point, you can delete your maps/workshop folder as the new directory structure for workshop maps is:

steamapps/workshop/content/440/1234567/mapname.bsp

For example, for glassworks: steamapps/workshop/content/440/454118349/cp_glassworks_rc6test.bsp

Installed workshop maps are tracked in steamapps/workshop/appworkshop_440.acf

NOW, having said that, I'd like to remind map makers that it's a bad idea to put version numbers in the file names of workshop maps. The reason being that if you update to a newer version in the workshop, it will no longer works in map lists as the server will download updated versions when it detects they have changed.

This is actually the point of tf_workshop_map_sync and its close sibling tf_workshop_refresh

Last edited by Powerlord; 06-13-2015 at 01:15.
Akuba
Old 06-13-2015 , 06:24   Re: Hosting workshop maps
Reply With Quote #6

The "steamapps" folder is in the same folder where "tf" is. The workshop folder is under "tf" and "tf/maps" for me.
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 06-13-2015 , 07:26   Re: Hosting workshop maps
Reply With Quote #7

tf_workshop_map_sync crashes the server.
King Cnut
Old 06-14-2015 , 10:03   Re: Hosting workshop maps
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
You still need to run tf_workshop_map_sync to actually download the map to the server the first time... it just doesn't need to be run after that.

At this point, you can delete your maps/workshop folder as the new directory structure for workshop maps is:

steamapps/workshop/content/440/1234567/mapname.bsp

For example, for glassworks: steamapps/workshop/content/440/454118349/cp_glassworks_rc6test.bsp

Installed workshop maps are tracked in steamapps/workshop/appworkshop_440.acf

NOW, having said that, I'd like to remind map makers that it's a bad idea to put version numbers in the file names of workshop maps. The reason being that if you update to a newer version in the workshop, it will no longer works in map lists as the server will download updated versions when it detects they have changed.

This is actually the point of tf_workshop_map_sync and its close sibling tf_workshop_refresh
Thanks for this, my only question at this point is what should the command line stuff be? Do server owners need to copy the workshop maps that are sitting in steamapps/workshop/content/440/blah/blah.bsp into tf/maps? Do we need auth keys and all that jazz?
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-14-2015 , 15:20   Re: Hosting workshop maps
Reply With Quote #9

TF2's Workshop map support is considerably different than CS:GO's.

For one thing, TF2 doesn't need auth keys for its workshop, while CS:GO does.

You shouldn't have to move the maps to tf/maps... the game uses an internal command named FindMap to translate the name you give to a changelevel or map command to its actual filename (as well as get back whether its a workshop map or not).

Really, it's just nominations that's going to have an issue until we have a good way in SourceMod to get the map's filename.

If you have access to the Donors board, I asked if a cross-game implementation of this could be added to SourceMod. psychonic seemed to agree that it's a good idea. That way, we can update it as games add Workshop support without having to continually modify the plugins that use it (primarily MapChooser and its variants).

I'd implement this myself, but I'm a bit fuzzy on how CS:GO's map stuff works... I'll have to see if I can figure out what psychonic was referring to first.
Old 06-14-2015 , 15:54   Re: Hosting workshop maps
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
TF2's Workshop map support is considerably different than CS:GO's.

For one thing, TF2 doesn't need auth keys for its workshop, while CS:GO does.

You shouldn't have to move the maps to tf/maps... the game uses an internal command named FindMap to translate the name you give to a changelevel or map command to its actual filename (as well as get back whether its a workshop map or not).

Really, it's just nominations that's going to have an issue until we have a good way in SourceMod to get the map's filename.

If you have access to the Donors board, I asked if a cross-game implementation of this could be added to SourceMod. psychonic seemed to agree that it's a good idea. That way, we can update it as games add Workshop support without having to continually modify the plugins that use it (primarily MapChooser and its variants).

I'd implement this myself, but I'm a bit fuzzy on how CS:GO's map stuff works... I'll have to see if I can figure out what psychonic was referring to first.
Interesting, I managed to get it to sync a map, but when you join the server it gives a missing map error if you don't have it already. I thought the whole point of the workshop is to avoid having to use a fastdl server?

If I understand this correctly, you start your server with a map like 2fort and then changelevel to a workshop map and all is well? I'm strugling to figure this out since if I don't drop the map from the workshop folder to my tf/maps folder, when I try to run the map it says the map cannot be found. I'm so sorry for sounding ignorant, it's just Valve has given us nothing at this point.

So far what i've done is the tf_workshop_sync <mapid> and it did download the map to the folder you said it would. I just can't get the map to change to it via changelevel (map not found) and when I do it manually via the command line start up string, (map is missing) when I join the server.

Last edited by King Cnut; 06-14-2015 at 16:04.