Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

L4D2 "Host.txt"

Post New Thread Reply   

screen names
Old 01-10-2022 , 08:18   L4D2 "Host.txt"
Reply With Quote #1

So I'm really struggling trying to get my l4d2 server to display a banner in host.txt. I've tried uploading an html file with html code to gitlab & even github redirecting to a jpg image then putting the link in host.txt that hasn't worked. I've tried putting the image link directly in host.txt and that also has not worked. Both methods i've tried above do not display the image, but also do not display the link as "text" Instead it seems like it does properly redirect to the site but fails to actually make use of any image i've tried using. I even tried using the default l4d.com banner and even that just displays nothing in the host section of the motd.

Could really use some help figuring this out, it's not needed for my server but i'd like to get it in anyways.

Also worth noting that i have my motd cvar disabled because i don't want the motd to be forced to look at when joining the server but rather keep it as a sort of rules/commands page for players. This cvar being disabled still will allow the motd to show so i don't see why that would be the problem but i figured i'd mention that as well.

I also have been yet to even try adding an image to the motd, only the host section.

Sorry for any shit spelling i just woke up.

Last edited by screen names; 01-10-2022 at 08:20.
dr_lex
Old 01-10-2022 , 09:20   Re: L4D2 "Host.txt"
Reply With Quote #2

This is a problem on the client side of the game, not on the server

Due to the fact that when the game starts, workshop items are loaded and checked, this function disables the download motd.txt and host.txt on the client side.

You can delete all subscriptions from the workshop, and when you start the game a second time without checking, you will see a working motd.txt and host.txt

I talked and wrote about this problem back in 2015, but apparently the problem is not interesting to developers in principle.
Old 01-13-2022 , 02:28   Re: L4D2 "Host.txt"
Reply With Quote #3

Same problem on my server too, I've tried several guide and format and just kinda give up on it lol

Looking for some fun!