Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[TF2] Player-Following Annotations Snippet

Post New Thread Reply   

Mitchell
~lick~
Old 12-30-2013 , 17:40   Re: [TF2] Player-Following Annotations Snippet
Reply With Quote #11

I dont think it would be 0-based, since adding 0 to any number would still be that number.. Think of it like subneting an ip.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 12-31-2013 , 09:06   Re: [TF2] Player-Following Annotations Snippet
Reply With Quote #12

The problem with using the bitfield is that...
That one annoation will always be visible to those clients.
It's better to create ONE annotation per client, with it visible to just them, you can then also easily destroy the annoatation on demand, as only that one client will be seeing it. I just set the annotation to follow the viewer with super short lifetime.

Last edited by friagram; 12-31-2013 at 09:08.
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 12-31-2013 , 09:21   Re: [TF2] Player-Following Annotations Snippet
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by friagram View Post
The problem with using the bitfield is that...
That one annoation will always be visible to those clients.
It's better to create ONE annotation per client, with it visible to just them, you can then also easily destroy the annoatation on demand, as only that one client will be seeing it. I just set the annotation to follow the viewer with super short lifetime.
Well basically, my original intent was to create player-following annotations for admins that would function as follows:

1. Would be visible when a player is looking at an admin, and go away when the player stops looking directly at the admin
2. Would disappear if the admin is a Spy and cloaks or disguises, and re-appear upon uncloaking/undisguising

I mean, if it worked like that, then this could potentially be recoded for plugins like VSH/FF2, where the bosses would have annotations that say the boss's name (i.e. "Saxton Hale!")
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 12-31-2013 , 09:34   Re: [TF2] Player-Following Annotations Snippet
Reply With Quote #14

Problem with annitations is that they scale /ignore z, and show on the border of the screen when the entity is not visible. You would have to do constant tracerays in a loop to show /hide them, and they annoyingly pop in each time they are spawned/renewed.
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 12-31-2013 , 10:33   Re: [TF2] Player-Following Annotations Snippet
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Problem with annitations is that they scale /ignore z, and show on the border of the screen when the entity is not visible. You would have to do constant tracerays in a loop to show /hide them, and they annoyingly pop in each time they are spawned/renewed.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that. That actually happened to me when I used old code I forgot to update. The annotations were spazzing out on people's screens.
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 12-31-2013 , 11:10   Re: [TF2] Player-Following Annotations Snippet
Reply With Quote #16

I can still find a use for them.
Useful for Freezetag too, to point out frozen teammates to only 1 team.

Also for my custom gamemode im currently working on.

Last edited by Mitchell; 12-31-2013 at 11:10.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 01-01-2014 , 08:31   Re: [TF2] Player-Following Annotations Snippet
Reply With Quote #17

Oh god freezetag, was like first mod I ever wrote, wonder if anyone even use it, lol.
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 01-01-2014 , 09:49   Re: [TF2] Player-Following Annotations Snippet
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Oh god freezetag, was like first mod I ever wrote, wonder if anyone even use it, lol.
Freezetag is awesome!
Geit
Old 01-01-2014 , 18:07   Re: [TF2] Player-Following Annotations Snippet
Reply With Quote #19

BuildBitString actually originally comes from this plugin: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=139902

The way the visibilityBitfield works is much like Powerlord described: You have 32 bits in an integer which you can represent as 1 or 0 (can see or can't see), each bit maps the whether the annotation should be drawn on a given client's screen, for example the 24th bit controls client #24 - Unless I'm mistaken there is actually a bug with BuildBitString in that it'll always be displayed for client #1 (although I have a feeling the 1st bit is the visibility of the annotation to the "world").

It could also be improved massively by doing as Powerlord said and using bit-shifting as opposed to my little hack: "bitfield |= client^2"
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 01-01-2014 , 18:36   Re: [TF2] Player-Following Annotations Snippet
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geit View Post
BuildBitString actually originally comes from this plugin: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=139902

The way the visibilityBitfield works is much like Powerlord described: You have 32 bits in an integer which you can represent as 1 or 0 (can see or can't see), each bit maps the whether the annotation should be drawn on a given client's screen, for example the 24th bit controls client #24 - Unless I'm mistaken there is actually a bug with BuildBitString in that it'll always be displayed for client #1 (although I have a feeling the 1st bit is the visibility of the annotation to the "world").

It could also be improved massively by doing as Powerlord said and using bit-shifting as opposed to my little hack: "bitfield |= client^2"
Well I don't know how to do any of that which is why I put the code out. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can figure out something to use this for.