Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[TF2] Hack that see cloaked spy

Post New Thread Reply   

Marverlous
Old 01-06-2014 , 21:56   [TF2] Hack that see cloaked spy
Reply With Quote #1

Hi I own a Hidden Mod server, every now and then some hacker would show up and they seem to be able to see a cloaked spy perfectly well. Yet their screen from spectating seem completely normal (no shaking, etc) Is there anyway to stop this?
Drixevel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-06-2014 , 23:33   Re: [TF2] Hack that see cloaked spy
Reply With Quote #2

Make sure that your server is set to sv_pure 2 or sv_pure 1 with the cloak listed as a required file. You can install the Wallhack module for SMAC which makes it so certain models and clients do not show up client-side based on variables like walls and if they are behind them but it is very CPU intensive so keep that in mind.

Besides that, there's not much you can do about Wallhacks because they're pretty hard to detect and prevent except banning those clients when you come across them.
Otter
Old 01-06-2014 , 23:50   Re: [TF2] Hack that see cloaked spy
Reply With Quote #3

This type of cheat, probably a wallhack, relies on the client being able to receive enemy players' location information that is sent from the server. It basically applies the glowing outline (similar to CTF intel carriers) on the enemy players. Changing the server's sv_pure settings will stop the client from replacing the players' textures with ones that glow through walls, but it does not stop injected cheat programs from intercepting the players' location data packets and applying the green outline based on that information.

The only way to stop this is to not send player location packets to the clients until those clients would normally be able to see enemy players. This can be done with a server-side plugin that computes visibility for each player and does not send location data for enemies that are outside of each client's field of view. In layman's terms, if the enemy is cloaked or behind a wall, the server figures out which clients should be able to see him, and doesn't tell the ones who shouldn't where he is. Instead, it simply skips sending them location data packets, or makes up a fake location (such as above the map or in spawn) until the enemy shows himself. This also prevents all forms of ESP/Radar from working (even the legit radar in Counter-Strike.)

While this plugin does prevent wallhacks and radar from being able to know where the enemy is, as well as preventing aimbots from targeting players through walls, there are some downsides. It will not stop the aimbot from targeting an enemy who is in the cheating player's field of view. It also will cause legit players to see their enemies "pop" out of thin air or disappear when wandering into and out of their view.

I believe such a plugin already exists. https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=162720
If it's not there, would someone else please post the link to it? I've seen it but I forgot where it is or what it's called.

EDIT: Yeah, it's one of the SMAC modules, but be careful with it. It's effective, but, like r3dw3r3w0lf said, very CPU intensive, and it can cause legit players to sometimes see weird things.

In a way, it's kinda sad that TF2 is free to play. Cheaters should be forced to pay money to continue cheating. Maybe that would discourage them at least a little bit.

My Steam Group My Forum RFC

Last edited by Otter; 01-07-2014 at 00:01.
Marverlous
Old 01-26-2014 , 20:10   Re: [TF2] Hack that see cloaked spy
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dw3r3w0lf View Post
Make sure that your server is set to sv_pure 2 or sv_pure 1 with the cloak listed as a required file.
Do you happen to know the directory for the cloak file? I can't seem to find it...
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 02-01-2014 , 04:42   Re: [TF2] Hack that see cloaked spy
Reply With Quote #5

they should just require players to use valid credit cards to open steam accounts for free multiplayer games to function online if you've not made a purchase to unlock them yet, or make some other lengthly, annoying way that involves mail and long delays to discourage them (like it takes 30 days before the account becomes active once creating it, and only let you make 1 account per computer GUID/ip/MAC address/whatever).

Last edited by friagram; 02-01-2014 at 04:43.