Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Latest csgo update prevents some custom materials from loading.

Post New Thread Reply   

Syntats
Old 04-29-2021 , 21:52   Latest csgo update prevents some custom materials from loading.
Reply With Quote #1

Certain materials cannot be loaded since the latest csgo update.
(I also have the optional csgo update and vauff's gamedata fix.)

Here is a snippet of server logs resulting from changing to the map 'surf_deathstar':

Code:
Missing map material: /STARWARSDOOR1
Missing map material: /STARWARSWALL10
Missing map material: /STARWARSCONTROLS
And the map is almost pure black, unplayable.

You can also run 'map surf_deathstar' in your client console and the map still appears black. So the problem is not with any addons.

So far I've only seen one other server owner notice the issue. It may be that only a small number of maps are affected.

Not sure how to go about fixing this.

EDIT: Info and temporary solution https://forums.alliedmods.net/showpo...29&postcount=5

EDIT: Fixed in csgo update.

Last edited by Syntats; 05-03-2021 at 18:52.
paulo_crash
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-29-2021 , 22:10   Re: Latest csgo update prevents some custom materials from loading.
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntats View Post
Certain materials cannot be loaded since the latest csgo update.
(I also have the optional csgo update and vauff's gamedata fix.)

Here is a snippet of server logs resulting from changing to the map 'surf_deathstar':

Code:
Missing map material: /STARWARSCONTROLS
And the map is almost pure black, unplayable.

You can also run 'map surf_deathstar' in your client console and the map still appears black. So the problem is not with any addons.

So far I've only seen one other server owner notice the issue. It may be that only a small number of maps are affected.

Not sure how to go about fixing this.
Was this map? https://gamebanana.com/mods/82069

In any case, some crashz maps also bugged after the CSGO update, he corrected it already, maybe the map really needs a correction, then only the author of the map.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/.../?id=437876186
Syntats
Old 04-29-2021 , 22:18   Re: Latest csgo update prevents some custom materials from loading.
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo_crash View Post
Was this map? https://gamebanana.com/mods/82069

In any case, some crashz maps also bugged after the CSGO update, he corrected it already, maybe the map really needs a correction, then only the author of the map.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/.../?id=437876186

I am aware of 8 other maps that have the issue as well. Many authors will not be active or willing to fix these maps. Do you happen to know how crashz fixed his maps?
Ilusion9
Veteran Member
Old 05-01-2021 , 11:19   Re: Latest csgo update prevents some custom materials from loading.
Reply With Quote #4

I have this problem as well with some dr maps
This is happening even with one of my revamped maps, idk why ...

Last edited by Ilusion9; 05-01-2021 at 11:20.
Syntats
Old 05-01-2021 , 19:45   Re: Latest csgo update prevents some custom materials from loading.
Reply With Quote #5

So I have some information on the problem and a temporary fix for maps.

A material referenced in a vmf file with a leading slash will no longer load.

For example, if the path to your material is "/mymaterial", csgo will look for the material in "materials//mymaterial" which is incorrect.
Use path "mymaterial" instead so that csgo loads from "materials/mymaterial".
(You don't need to change the actual location of your material, just the reference to the locations.)

This can be edited very quickly if you have the original vmf file, or if you have a decompiled version that actually works. Using notepad++, you can do the following replacement to instantly correct the vmf file, and use it to recompile the map:

If you do not have a functional vmf, the process is more tedious and is as follows:

1) Run BSPInfo (part of BSPSource) to identify the incorrect references. (Those with two slashes.)

2) Perform the following replacement for each of the materials that you identified:
Find all instances of the string that begins with a null, then has a slash, then has the material name, then ends with a null. And replace them with the string that begins with a null, then has the material name, then ends with two nulls.
Most text editors can not insert null bytes and so you can accomplish this with perl like so:
Quote:
perl -pe 's/\0\/STARWARSWALLS4\0/\0STARWARSWALLS4\0\0/g' surf_deathstar_tat.bsp > surf_deathstar_temp.bsp; mv surf_deathstar_temp.bsp surf_deathstar_tat.bsp
In the above example, the material I am fixing is "STARWARSWALLS4".

You can also do this replacement with sublime 3 as follows, however note that this text editor is extremely slow, and I do not recommend it:

Last edited by Syntats; 05-01-2021 at 22:23.
Ahmed_Nakadi
Old 05-02-2021 , 17:03   Re: Latest csgo update prevents some custom materials from loading.
Reply With Quote #6

Somebody could be so nice and upload all fixed maps here.

Last edited by Ahmed_Nakadi; 05-02-2021 at 17:03.
Syntats
Old 05-03-2021 , 18:51   Re: Latest csgo update prevents some custom materials from loading.
Reply With Quote #7

Fixed in today's csgo update.