12% 

[REQ] Birthday plugin

Post New Thread Reply   

Extreme_One
Veteran Member
Old 09-02-2008 , 15:01   [REQ] Birthday plugin
Reply With Quote #1

Here's my idea.

When you connect to the server you're presented with a menu asking if you'd like to celebrate your birthday on this server.

Three choices : "Yes" , "No" , "Maybe".

"Maybe" means you'll be asked again but not until at least 24 hours has passed.

"No" means you'll never be asked again.

"Yes" means you'll be given a message which says "Please enter your Date of Birth".

The user types their D.O.B in chat and this is stored against their Steam ID in a SQLlite database.

Now if that user is on the server on their birthday the server plays in tf_birthday 1 mode (party hats and all) and a chat message appears every 5 minutes with a message like: "Happy birthday XXX" (where XXX is the current in-game name of the player)

Maybe a plugin creator can take this idea and turn it into something workable.

Could be fun and a half-decent way of encouraging regulars to stay and play on your server.
Old 09-02-2008 , 16:46   Re: [REQ] Birthday plugin
Reply With Quote #2

I've been working on something like this for my server, it's working a bit differently though (I'm still bug testing it) It loads up a list of names, steamid's and date's (month and day) then based on if the day is in the list it'll turn on Birthday mode for that day (all 24 hours), upon any user connection it plays one sound and if it's the Birthday person that connects it plays another (still having issues with this feature). The main difference though is that the players must be added by an admin as my plugin is meant to be a donation perk. Once I iron out the main bugs and stuff I'll release and try and add something like this.
Lord Max
Old 09-03-2008 , 08:20   Re: [REQ] Birthday plugin
Reply With Quote #3

Hello,

I was wondering, if your server players find the birthday plugin so good, then why don't you just run birthday mode indefinatly - or at least until willy1234x1 releases his plugin or another is found?

This is fairly simple and you may already know this so I will try to find a plugin for you tonight because I think I have seen one that does a similar job to this. I'll try and find it when I get home - I am working now.

By the way willy1234x1, I look forward to seeing your plugin, it will be a fun and refreshing plugin, good luck! I would use it on one of my hosts.

Thanks and good luck,

Lord Max

Last edited by Lord Max; 09-03-2008 at 08:22.
willy1234x1
Old 09-03-2008 , 08:47   Re: [REQ] Birthday plugin
Reply With Quote #4

Yeah, it should be out soon I just have a little less time than I liked because of school.
bl4nk
SourceMod Developer
Old 09-03-2008 , 10:59   Re: [REQ] Birthday plugin
Reply With Quote #5

I was thinking of doing something like this, but tieing it in with my forum's user database. I think that would be the way to go, as there are many ways to express the date (dd/mm/yy, mm/dd/yy, etc), so some people could screw it up.
Extreme_One
Veteran Member
Old 09-03-2008 , 14:48   Re: [REQ] Birthday plugin
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Max View Post
Hello,

I was wondering, if your server players find the birthday plugin so good..
well people would soon get bored if it were run constantly.

On special occasions it'd be fun.

And @ bl4nk if the plugin explained the required date format then most people would type the correct format.
Old 09-03-2008 , 16:45   Re: [REQ] Birthday plugin
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl4nk View Post
I was thinking of doing something like this, but tieing it in with my forum's user database. I think that would be the way to go, as there are many ways to express the date (dd/mm/yy, mm/dd/yy, etc), so some people could screw it up.
Good point, on mine I'm currently using dd/mm only since the year is really unnecessary for the purpose of this plugin.
Extreme_One
Veteran Member
Old 09-04-2008 , 02:23   Re: [REQ] Birthday plugin
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy1234x1 View Post
Good point, on mine I'm currently using dd/mm only since the year is really unnecessary for the purpose of this plugin.
True although the message displayed could say:

"Happy birthday XXX, YY today!" (where XXX is the current in-game name of the player, and YY is the player's age.)
Old 09-04-2008 , 17:39   Re: [REQ] Birthday plugin
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_One View Post
True although the message displayed could say:

"Happy birthday XXX, YY today!" (where XXX is the current in-game name of the player, and YY is the player's age.)
I'll experiment with both, I think I'll comment out the part with the welcome sound for the first release since it's not working quite yet.
abelp
Old 09-04-2008 , 17:46   Re: [REQ] Birthday plugin
Reply With Quote #10

i run my server on birthday mode all day long and people like it. Ocassionally someone will ask " Why are we all wearing party hats ". lol

I think you're plugin might be ok.