Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

CS:GO Lan Server Stutter for certain clients

Post New Thread Reply   

Major Erection
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-04-2016 , 07:16   CS:GO Lan Server Stutter for certain clients
Reply With Quote #1

Okay so I was at this LAN tournament this weekend and there was this weird issue that we couldn't figure out what caused it.

First of all the servers are all hosted at the LAN arena and the machines were solid. I don't remember the specs but they had cpus that are all above 3.5Ghz which is definitely enough for 10 slot 128-tick servers. All the client PCs for the tournament had the exact same specs. They're running GTX 970s if I'm not mistaken and run on pretty new CPUs. The average fps went well above 300. So hardware wise there shouldn't be any issues.

Here's where the weird problem starts. Certain players were suffering from this stutter where their screen turns choppy when they view other players' models, the c4 smokes etc. If there aren't any other clients in that area the lag doesn't exist. While this choppiness is happening, the fps of said player is still above 300. So it's not a graphic issue. This only happens for 1-2 players at a time. Anyone knows what's causing it?

And the connection is definitely strong enough to handle 100 over players at once because it's a LAN cafe. Which we turned into a mini arena over the weekend.

Thanks in advance.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-04-2016 , 07:38   Re: CS:GO Lan Server Stutter for certain clients
Reply With Quote #2

It's most likely the hardware or drivers that aren't up to date. Internet connections have nothing to do with FPS related issues. Make sure all your GPU drivers are good and please find out the specs for the CPU. The clock speed doesn't matter if the CPU isn't up to date.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-04-2016 , 07:40   Re: CS:GO Lan Server Stutter for certain clients
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337norway View Post
It's most likely the hardware or drivers that aren't up to date. Internet connections have nothing to do with FPS related issues. Make sure all your GPU drivers are good and please find out the specs for the CPU. The clock speed doesn't matter if the CPU isn't up to date.
I stated in my post that it's not an fps issue. Also all the drivers are definitely up to date because I updated them myself.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-04-2016 , 07:43   Re: CS:GO Lan Server Stutter for certain clients
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Erection View Post
I stated in my post that it's not an fps issue. Also all the drivers are definitely up to date because I updated them myself.
Quote:
Here's where the weird problem starts. Certain players were suffering from this stutter where their screen turns choppy when they view other players'
You stated its not an fps issue but you claim the issue is "screen turns choppy" the screen is what displays the fps, you didn't say anything about players animations/positions becoming choppy.

Last edited by backwards; 12-04-2016 at 07:43.
Major Erection
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-04-2016 , 07:45   Re: CS:GO Lan Server Stutter for certain clients
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
You stated its not an fps issue but you claim the issue is "screen turns choppy" the screen is what displays the fps, you didn't say anything about players animations/positions becoming choppy.
Sorry let me rephrase. The player models of team mates and enemies turn choppy but anything client side is still smooth. Net_graph shows 300+ fps while this 'choppiness' is happening. Hence it isn't an fps issue. Hope that clarifies it.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-04-2016 , 07:49   Re: CS:GO Lan Server Stutter for certain clients
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Sorry let me rephrase. The player models of team mates and enemies turn choppy but anything client side is still smooth. Net_graph shows 300+ fps while this 'choppiness' is happening. Hence it isn't an fps issue. Hope that clarifies it.
Okay well only 2 ways this can really happen then. The players aren't receiving all of the data at appropriate tick rate intervals to update smoothly. So that means the bandwidth is being choked or the server running the srcds can't produce that many updates to send to the clients. The other possibility is the server is just refusing to send updates based off of some circumstance such as an anticheat. Do you have any kind of anti wallhack anti cheat running?
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-04-2016 , 07:51   Re: CS:GO Lan Server Stutter for certain clients
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Okay well only 2 ways this can really happen then. The players aren't receiving all of the data at appropriate tick rate intervals to update smoothly. So that means the bandwidth is being choked or the server running the srcds can't produce that many updates to send to the clients. The other possibility is the server is just refusing to send updates based off of some circumstance such as an anticheat. Do you have any kind of anti wallhack anti cheat running?
Nope. No anticheats except VAC. As for choke, it should display in the net_graph if there is choke happening right? As far as I could remember. Choke was at 0%. What's funny is that it only happens to 1-2 clients at a time.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-04-2016 , 08:02   Re: CS:GO Lan Server Stutter for certain clients
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Nope. No anticheats except VAC. As for choke, it should display in the net_graph if there is choke happening right? As far as I could remember. Choke was at 0%. What's funny is that it only happens to 1-2 clients at a time.
It should show in netgraph yes, I would suggest that it's possible that some of the users have incorrect interp settings which may cause something like this to happen since the animation update a while ago. If it only happens when clients are dead and spectating teammates you could have something like sv_disable_observer_interpolation set to 0 on your server. I'm not 100% on how the loss counter works but it could be misleading at sometimes. If its a continuous issue, you could have someone debug the server with a series of tests.

Also make sure to check your server config files networking variables and make sure nothing stupid was done in there. I know there was a new update which introduced "Max Acceptable Game Traffic Bandwidth". If this is set too low and the update packet for the entity data is spliced into multiple packets, it may arrive a bit late causing view angle entity update issues as well.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-04-2016 , 08:09   Re: CS:GO Lan Server Stutter for certain clients
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
-snip-
I'll be sure to check the client settings the next time there's a LAN event that I'm involved in. Considering it didn't happen to everyone I'm convinced the issue lies with the player's settings itself and not the server.

Thanks so much man!