Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

High SV and VAR on dedicated server

Post New Thread Reply   

NIELSAD
Old 04-30-2021 , 11:03   High SV and VAR on dedicated server
Reply With Quote #1

Hi guys, I am having some issues with 2x new servers I am managing. I am currently hosting 45+ CSGO servers for local divisions in my country and all servers have been performing well.
They are all running CentOS and have been very stable for the last 3 years.
I recently got 2x new servers from our sponsors (used servers) and I set the servers up exactly like the older ones with identical server configs, plugins and stuff like that but these new servers are just not performing well. The SV is anywhere from 5-10 and the VAR is spiking very high as well.
The only difference from the older servers is that these servers are running Ubuntu.
The servers are all located in professional server facilities and have 10GB internet connections.

Do you guys have any ideas what might be causing these issues for me? I have been experimenting with all sorts of combinations of commands with no results.

New server specs are:
1st server:
2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v2 (24 threads total)
64GB RAM

2nd server:
2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v2 (32 threads total)
64 GB RAM

Server CFG:
In attachments as txt file.

The CPU when all servers are running and full og users is about 50-60% and RAM is something similar.
Attached Files
File Type: txt servercfgdemo.txt (11.2 KB, 112 views)
TomL.
Veteran Member
Old 04-30-2021 , 11:29   Re: High SV and VAR on dedicated server
Reply With Quote #2

Both of theses CPUs are pretty old and slow for running modern game server, especially ones that require heavier processing like csgo.
Anyway, you should do your testing first with a clean system and game server that runs the default settings to get a baseline and then you do the tweaking.

Last edited by TomL.; 04-30-2021 at 11:30.
NIELSAD
Old 04-30-2021 , 11:38   Re: High SV and VAR on dedicated server
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomL. View Post
Both of theses CPUs are pretty old and slow for running modern game server, especially ones that require heavier processing like csgo.
Anyway, you should do your testing first with a clean system and game server that runs the default settings to get a baseline and then you do the tweaking.
Yes I did realize they are pretty old and thats why I am not hosting many CSGO screens per server. The CPU is only running around 50-60% with all servers full of people, I even did a test with only one server running and the SV and VAR was still the same

Last edited by NIELSAD; 04-30-2021 at 13:40.
TomL.
Veteran Member
Old 04-30-2021 , 13:48   Re: High SV and VAR on dedicated server
Reply With Quote #4

Well, csgo servers use only 1 core/2 threads so it's your CPUs low clock speed/frequency that is the bottleneck.
Your best option is to set the tickrate to 64 and lower your slot count.
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-30-2021 , 16:29   Re: High SV and VAR on dedicated server
Reply With Quote #5

I have servers running old models without any issue on Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2687W v2. It's a matter of single thread performance and base clock frequency. If you have too low a base and/or turbo frequency, your server is going to experience exactly what you mentioned.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...-v2/2042vs2052

As TomL stated, using a lower tickrate and slot count is your only solution.