Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Windows Server or Linux and why?

Post New Thread Reply   

numbster
Old 02-02-2018 , 20:39   Windows Server or Linux and why?
Reply With Quote #1

Hi there I need answers because in Internet have simple answers on this what I needed.

Most people said Linux is better OS for host cs server but why. For 1000 fps? what exactly is 1000 fps server or just scamaz? for sales servers them?

windows max fps is 512 on linux 1000fps only this is different of them?
how to performing ping on different OS?

and when you said Linux what distribution is best? CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu with or without graphics desktop?

But most important is how is performing on different OS.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 02-02-2018 , 22:42   Re: Windows Server or Linux and why?
Reply With Quote #2

HLDS is optimized for Windows but typically on Linux there fewer other applications running so the load on the processor is less.

HLDS and games that use it are ancient and any modern OS will run it just fine. The best way to go about it is to use the one that you are most familiar with.

Around here, I most often see CentOS and Ubuntu mentioned for Linux. There are many discussions about this topic so if you don't like my advice, you can search for them.

Last edited by fysiks; 02-02-2018 at 22:45.
numbster
Old 02-03-2018 , 10:17   Re: Windows Server or Linux and why?
Reply With Quote #3

I just want more advanced information.

Last edited by numbster; 02-03-2018 at 10:19.
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 02-03-2018 , 10:50   Re: Windows Server or Linux and why?
Reply With Quote #4

Ubuntu is Valve's "official" flavor of Linux, so everything they write with respect to "linux" is actually about Ubuntu. For this reason, I recommend anybody using Linux to run their servers to use Ubuntu.

Quote:
what exactly is 1000 fps server or just scamaz?
When I ran servers, I am pretty sure I could feel the difference between 500 and 1000. Back in that day, ESEA ran 250fps servers and they were absolute garbage. I think running 1000 fps is important, although many will disagree and say it was all placebo.

Quote:
how to performing ping on different OS?
The ping shouldn't be any different.
Mordekay
Squirrel of Fortune
Old 02-03-2018 , 10:53   Re: Windows Server or Linux and why?
Reply With Quote #5

Then you are wrong here. amxmodx and it's users arn't the creators of hlds. They just created this mod to use with hlds. You should ask at steampowered.com then.

Really, what do you expect? Anyone here can only give his subjective opinion about this. And there you will find to bases here: those who say windows and the others who say linux. You use the one that you are most familar with, period. If you have no idea about linux it will be hard for you to setup a system that works the way you want to run your servers.

And about the 1000fps: that's a fary tale. Yes, you can win a few ms ping reducement with it, but on the other side you waste your servers CPU for nothing. All it does is it sounds good, nothing more.

fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 02-03-2018 , 13:28   Re: Windows Server or Linux and why?
Reply With Quote #6

If you want to know more about Linux or Windows servers, you should post in the official support for that type of server.

Your question is really a dead end question because there is no right answer. Both will work perfectly fine for hosting a server especially if it is a PC dedicated to running the server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofmybrain View Post
Ubuntu is Valve's "official" flavor of Linux, so everything they write with respect to "linux" is actually about Ubuntu. For this reason, I recommend anybody using Linux to run their servers to use Ubuntu.
I've only ever seen that stated for playing the actual game on the Ubuntu desktop (the client part of the game, not the server).
Old 02-03-2018 , 14:45   Re: Windows Server or Linux and why?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofmybrain View Post
Ubuntu is Valve's "official" flavor of Linux, so everything they write with respect to "linux" is actually about Ubuntu. For this reason, I recommend anybody using Linux to run their servers to use Ubuntu
This is wrong.
STEAMOs is based on debian, see the wiki page

ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 02-03-2018 , 15:17   Re: Windows Server or Linux and why?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks
I've only ever seen that stated for playing the actual game on the Ubuntu desktop (the client part of the game, not the server).
I've definitely seen it before, from before the Steam client or any valve games were available on linux, so I know I'm not just confusing the two things. But this was a long time ago, so I have no idea if and when it's been updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekay
This is wrong.
It used to not be wrong, but the last time I looked was before SteamCMD was even a thing. It's possible they've expanded their support since then.

Quote:
STEAMOs
I'm not talking about steamOS. That's completely different. But it got me curious - does anybody even run servers in SteamOS? That seems like a really stupid idea.

Last edited by ghostofmybrain; 02-03-2018 at 15:18.
numbster
Old 02-03-2018 , 23:06   Re: Windows Server or Linux and why?
Reply With Quote #9

hah placebo this is funny actually

thx for answer with ping issue

I need read little more about "what is different between linux version".

Please @fysiks mate I choice ask here, btw in Steam's forum is bullshit. And share something important btw.
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 02-04-2018 , 10:35   Re: Windows Server or Linux and why?
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
I need read little more about "what is different between linux version".
If you're utilizing the server version of the distro (which you should be) very little will be different. The most important difference will be the amount of support you're able to find online should you run into problems. Ubuntu by far has the best support.