Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

SourceBB - Coming Soon!

Post New Thread Reply   

Beaverbeliever
Old 08-08-2009 , 05:25   SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #1

SourceBB

Background:

A friend and I have begun a project that will be revolutionary to any medium to large size gaming clan or organization with multiple game servers and a website.

The project, it called SourceBB. This is a combination of phpBB3 Forums and Sourcemod to create an ultimate ban and administration system. Basically using MySQL across the board to provide global results on any large gaming network.

Tell me more:
SourceBB works in this way: It starts at the forums. When a user registers, they will input their SteamID to be contained on their account. It also saves the users IP during signup, and adds them to the Sourcemod SQL Admins database with no flags. There is an additional field in the table for verification. When a user connects to the server, and their SteamID has a 0 in the verification slot, it will verify IP, and change it to a 1. Then printing that the user has been verified.

Another process is all admin distribution is done using Forum Groups. The forum groups will contain certain flags for different levels of admin in Sourcemod. If a user is in a forum group, they will receive all admin flags assigned to that group.

Banning is another feature of this system. When an admin bans a player, they are added to a database, and banned from all servers in SourceBB.

What if I use different forums?
Well, right now we are only planning on developing this for phpBB. If you have never tried phpBB before, or have disliked it in the past; SourceBB may change that.

Doesn't Sourcebans do all this?
Sourcebans is a very nice tool, and works great, but lacks several of the community features of using forums. Sourcebans works well for small groups with 50 or less admins, but can really load the servers down with its admin-prefetching qualities. SourceBB is designed using threading, which is easier on the servers with 50 or more admins. Not to mention, you no longer need to add admins to Sourcebans. Now it can be done with simple user group administration all on phpBB.

When will this be out?
We are working every day on this, and hope to release it October 31st, 2009, but please remember we are not yet complete.

Do you have a Website?
Yes! We do, please click the link below!

--> www.sourcebb.wordpress.com <--

Can I donate to SourceBB?

Of Course! Please click the button below, and specify your username if you want your name and the amount contributed.

Donor List:
-arm5ky ($5)
-DuckSoup-Gaming ($10)

Feature Checkoff List:

Done:
  • Admin managment
  • Full integration with phpBB
  • Verification system
  • Steam Community features
Not Fully Done:
  • Ban Management
  • Easy automated installation
Remember there is more to come, so please be patient. We will use this thread to announce updates!

Credits:

Last edited by Beaverbeliever; 10-10-2009 at 02:41.
Chris-_-
SourceMod Donor
Old 08-08-2009 , 12:06   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #2

Sounds great, would be epic if someone managed to port it over to other forums aswell ;)

Good luck!
spidEY
Old 08-08-2009 , 15:18   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #3

I'm just going to give you guys a sneak peak at SourceBB features. Screenshots will be updated daily.

Styles compatiblaty
SourceBB by default is made for the phpBB's prosilver style, but of course, it's compatible with various other forum styles.

Intergration

For example, if an user is banned on the forums, the ban applies automaticaly to all SourceBB associated game servers.

During the registration process, user is required to submit a valid Steam ID. It is practically impossible to bypass this chack as Steam ID is converted to the Community ID and checks for a valid Steam profile via simplexml_load_file(); function

Certain SourceBB/Steam Community features can be modifyed through Administrator Control Panel.

MjrNuT
SourceMod Donor
Old 08-08-2009 , 15:47   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #4

I'll give a reserved good luck to this project. Everyone has their preferences, which are based on cost, management, effort, etc.

Personally, I don't care for phpbb and its security vulnerabilities right out of the box. Yes, it takes a good admin to lock it down, but just saying, so don't take it too critical. Many ppl know this, while some do not.

It almost seems you should be GIVING a lot of credit to SourceBans. Your pitch, at least to me, screams as a clone of SBans. If I were them, then Idk but I might feel a bit...perturbed? If its completely different code, ok fine, but if its the same concept....hmmmm. Proper credit should be granted much more.

Lastly, sometimes full integration of such things are not always best (i.e., all in one dealios). I understand the premise of number of admins quoted that this is suitable for....> 50 admins.

Just a couple cents for ppl to consider and you may want to address to ease potential users' concerns given already versatile systems available.

I wish good coding inspiration, implementation, and execution!!
Beaverbeliever
Old 08-08-2009 , 17:30   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MjrNuT View Post
I'll give a reserved good luck to this project.
It almost seems you should be GIVING a lot of credit to SourceBans. Your pitch, at least to me, screams as a clone of SBans. If I were them, then Idk but I might feel a bit...perturbed? If its completely different code, ok fine, but if its the same concept....hmmmm. Proper credit should be granted much more.
As I said, I do enjoy Sourcebans, but I think the original design of the idea of this came from AlliedModders SQL Admins plugin. That is what we are using for this system.
recon0
Veteran Member
Old 08-08-2009 , 19:22   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #6

I've been wondering when someone would try a open source board / SM integration. Good luck
Old 08-09-2009 , 10:07   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #7

Alright guys, as I said, I'll keep you updated as much as I can. Today I'll show you the current look for SourceBB's main page (dashboard):

http://i27.tinypic.com/2lxz9kj.jpg

Although this look isn't final, it's pretty much how things will look like:

Username - Displays user's forum username
Steam ID - Your current Steam ID - once it's hooked up to the database, it cannot be changed, except thorugh SourceBB or Administrator Control Panel - the choise is your's.
Server Access - Or current SourceMod admin group, you can create and edit the existing ones through SourceBB. If user is not an admin, it will display No Access
Account Status - As you can see, my accout is in good standing, that means I have no active bans on the server. If user has an active ban, certain forum features will be disabled until he contests his ban.
SourceBB ID - And last but not least, SourceBB ID, simply, it's just an ID pulled from sourcebb_users table.

Notifications will display all important information such as your Steam ID verification status, did someone contested your ban etc.

Currently, we have 4 tabs, Home, Admins (Admin and Group managment), Bans and Servers. Each category has several sub-categories. The tab Servers has a RCON tool which allows you, if you have proper access, to execute server commands and view console output inside your browser!

Last edited by spidEY; 08-09-2009 at 10:10.
Chris-_-
SourceMod Donor
Old 08-09-2009 , 12:06   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #8

I think you'll get competition whenever SB 2.0 comes out
FeuerSturm
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-09-2009 , 16:28   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #9

This sounds good, but I have a question:

Will that be a "premodded phpBB3"-package or an easy to
install addon (hack) for phpBB3?

I've spent many hours modding my phpBB3 install and wouldn't
want to replace it at all with a new install.
spidEY
Old 08-09-2009 , 16:55   Re: SourceBB - Coming Soon!
Reply With Quote #10

Hi FeuerSturm,

SourceBB will feature easy installation process similar to phpBB and you will be able to keep all your modded files.

Also, I changed the look of SourceBB dashboard and added personal ban history, easy access to all your recent bans. There is also intergration to memberlist, you can see basic SourceMod stuff for each user right on their user profile!