[Pay][REQ] TF2 Freeze Tag

Post New Thread Reply   

Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-23-2012 , 14:43   Re: [Pay][REQ] TF2 Freeze Tag
Reply With Quote #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntereb View Post
I know that, I got the idea from Garry's Mod's "Material Tool" which lets you set any material file to any model, regardless of what texture is bound to it. If GMod can do it, why not SourceMod?
At a guess, GMod was specifically created to do it; I'm not that familiar with Garry's Mod so I can't say for sure. Most Source games use client-side models with the material paths hard-coded into the models' .mdl files.

Last edited by Powerlord; 10-23-2012 at 14:43.
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 10-23-2012 , 16:32   Re: [Pay][REQ] TF2 Freeze Tag
Reply With Quote #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
At a guess, GMod was specifically created to do it; I'm not that familiar with Garry's Mod so I can't say for sure. Most Source games use client-side models with the material paths hard-coded into the models' .mdl files.
Sorry this is what i meant, idk why i said material proxy..
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...model_entities
CuriousG
Old 11-22-2012 , 02:49   Re: [Pay][REQ] TF2 Freeze Tag
Reply With Quote #43

Has this died before it even got a chance to get started? No updated information and nothing from the Steam Group either.
Dr. McKay
Sir Dr. SourceMod Plugin Approver Esq. Ltd. M.D. PhD
Old 11-22-2012 , 11:22   Re: [Pay][REQ] TF2 Freeze Tag
Reply With Quote #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousG View Post
Has this died before it even got a chance to get started? No updated information and nothing from the Steam Group either.
No, I just got swamped before I had a chance to launch anything. I'll see what I can push out soon.
Old 12-16-2012 , 13:31   Re: [Pay][REQ] TF2 Freeze Tag
Reply With Quote #45

I've already made this mod, seems to work arlight, most people are liking it.
You can't really turn people into ragdoll ice statues, because ragdolls are clientside in tf2 and you can't control their positions well. RTD mod does this (sets people invisible, spawns an ice statue). Sometimes they fall to the ground, sometimes they stand in place.

You can't really block damage with SDK hooks and have a reliable death prevention without disabling damage spread and crits (or manually calculating crits). This is too much work.. and there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to catch damage spread.

As far as gameplay, right now it works alongside pretty mcuh anything, any map, it converts all maps to make them arena-ish by opening doors, disabling objectives, and removing respawn rooms and problematic models. Stand by a teammate to revive them. Revived teammates come back with reduced health (prevents abuse, and encourages teamwork). Also got it so that enemies can knock players around with weapon damage if they are semi-close to control the battlefield a bit. Game ends when everyone on one team becomes frozen (enters round-win) - or time runs out (team with highest ratio of unfrozen players wins) - or stalemate (equal ratio).

We have a beta version running on our server. Still trying to work out some balance/bugs, but it's been playable for a good while:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pon...1657903153773/

As far as special effects/models.. I had a frozen glacier type model in the works, can spawn a prop - parent it to the player - and remove it when they get unfrozen, so it looks like the player is encased in ice, but there's transparency issues. Alphatest isn't that great looking, and $translucent has some odd issues with certain things dissapearing. I could use a refract material, which would be a bit cleaner, but it would still hide some transparent effects. Wouldn't be too noticable since the model would be relatively small. This also allows for skins (red/blue) versions of the model, so I figured this would be the best bet.

Last edited by friagram; 12-16-2012 at 13:40.
lyric
Veteran Member
Old 12-16-2012 , 18:45   Re: [Pay][REQ] TF2 Freeze Tag
Reply With Quote #46

so many excuses why this game mode is delayed from everyone even new people who say they have it finished

it does not look good my friends
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 12-16-2012 , 20:58   Re: [Pay][REQ] TF2 Freeze Tag
Reply With Quote #47

what is damage spread? and sdkhooks would work fine
Cookies.net
Old 12-17-2012 , 00:27   Re: [Pay][REQ] TF2 Freeze Tag
Reply With Quote #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
what is damage spread? and sdkhooks would work fine
Information about the damage spread he talked about

You only get the base damage in sdkhooks OnTakeDamage hook, which isn't precise enough to see if the client is about to die unless damage falloff/damage spread is removed. I've worked with an OnTakeDamage_Alive hook before and it seems to solve issues like this as the spread, etc. already seems to be handled at that point.

So while sdkhooks is just fine blocking damage, you just don't know for sure if the client is about to die or not.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 12-17-2012 , 07:03   Re: [Pay][REQ] TF2 Freeze Tag
Reply With Quote #49

I don't see the big deal, I just let them die, respawn them, teleport them to their death vector. Perhaps it's not 100% as clean as blocking a death, but it saves the trouble of calculating all that crap, faking death messages, and adding score points/dominations.

It would be nice to do it without having them actually die if I could figure out how to reliably block damage//calculate spread and all. If other methods work, I'll give them a try later.

Oh.. And I got the model/refract working ok, but I can't parent it to the player properly, it dissapears and only the shadow remains. Instead i have to teleport it to the client's entity (doesn't look too terrible, but lags behind slightly).

I think there might be a way aroudn this, because if i make two objects, and parent them one after another to the client, the first one will stay, and the other one will remain visible (only the model/entity directly parented to the client's entity dissapears) however, this only works when done with a delay. If I try to do it instantly, both models dissapear
I guess I could try doing it on like a timer and delay parenting the entities, does anyone know a better solution to this/workaround?
I think I can do this:
Spawn a light_dynamic, parent light to client, wait .1 to .5 seconds, spawn prop_dynamic, parent prop_dynamic to light. (prop should then be visible).

Last edited by friagram; 12-17-2012 at 07:14.
CuriousG
Old 12-18-2012 , 16:43   Re: [Pay][REQ] TF2 Freeze Tag
Reply With Quote #50

I just tried this out on 64.94.100.210:27013. First thing that happened when I spawned I was frozen. I'm pretty sure there wasn't anyone in the spawn. Then when someone finally unfroze me, I saw my model within a model if that makes sense. I did a taunt to fix that problem. In between one of the rounds, the door wouldn't open in pl_goldrush so everyone had to type kill in console to force the round to end.

The ice models in first and 3rd person POV is a nice touch and brings back the nostalgia from the old Q3A days. Being able to move the frozen players also similar to Q3A. The unfreezing status, can that be changed so that it uses something like a Merasmus and/or Monoculus health bar?

Are you going to make this plugin available to everyone will be eventually be private only?