Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

So valve has made access for everyone to grab weapons.

Post New Thread Reply   

StormishJustice
Old 07-04-2015 , 08:35   So valve has made access for everyone to grab weapons.
Reply With Quote #1

Since this is possible, the weapons are now visible in TF2Items so that can be something interesting!

For some reason i dunno how it will work with custom weapons i mean weapons with custom models.

i dunno but i think this fixes the most of the plugins.
do you guys think this is a good idea to grab customized weapons from gamemodes like mann vs tank and other gamemodes that support TF2Items?
Veteran Member
Old 07-04-2015 , 10:30   Re: So valve has made access for everyone to grab weapons.
Reply With Quote #2

From what i can tell ya weapons given from TF2Items natives are not visible even after update.

Also let's not forget about golden rule to not discuss visible items

Last edited by Oshizu; 07-04-2015 at 10:38.
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 07-06-2015 , 08:34   Re: So valve has made access for everyone to grab weapons.
Reply With Quote #3

Someone said it is visible. You give the invisible weapon to the player, player dies, another player picks it up, what was invisible weapon is now visible.

That being said, I think Valve will likely nerf this feature in the next update; it's most likely something overlooked (like all the broken mvm bugs).
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-06-2015 , 10:20   Re: So valve has made access for everyone to grab weapons.
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshizu View Post
From what i can tell ya weapons given from TF2Items natives are not visible even after update.

Also let's not forget about golden rule to not discuss visible items
Lets be honest, this restriction was always about hats and not weapons.

Besides which, if Valve themselves had made them visible, that makes it fair game.

Right now, part of the reason that they're invisible is because we don't have the item ID fields filled in in the CEconItemView object... and have no way of seeing into players inventories to see which items they actually have.

So, even if a player HAS an item, we can't force them to equip theirs, which would make it visible.

One could argue that TF2Items should have the ability to set Item IDs in the case that a plugin has a way of looking them up (via the Steam API if their backpack is public). Which would make said item visible if the item ID is valid.

Edit: On a side note, we could also ask Asherkin to add a thing for CTFDroppedWeapon::Create, which takes a CTFPlayer*, Vector, QAngle, char*, and CEconItemView* and generates a weapon from it. The char* is presumably the weapon class and the Vector the player's position in the world when they died.

Or even CTFDroppedWeapon::SetItem(CEconItemView const*) which presumably creates a CTFDroppedWeapon directly, although it'd still need to be spawned.

Last edited by Powerlord; 07-06-2015 at 10:30.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 07-06-2015 , 14:19   Re: So valve has made access for everyone to grab weapons.
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
One could argue that TF2Items should have the ability to set Item IDs in the case that a plugin has a way of looking them up (via the Steam API if their backpack is public). Which would make said item visible if the item ID is valid.
As I must've said 50 times by now (probably a few of them to you), only equipped items are networked to clients, which gimps this considerably - even if you could look up a valid itemid from another source, the clients wouldn't have it so it wouldn't be made visible.

However, it does sound like we could now fake all items as being dropped ones bypassing those checks completely if that is currently working with manually-created weapons (why it doesn't check the item is valid in the original owner's inventory I do not know, and that sounds like a trivially easy fix for Valve to make). Who knows if that is actually a good idea however.
Old 07-06-2015 , 15:47   Re: So valve has made access for everyone to grab weapons.
Reply With Quote #6

Valve will likely fix it. Just wait for someone to make a plugin that gives everyone golden frying pans and it will be nerfed.

Like asherkin said, it sounds pretty trivially easy for valve to fix. They just need to network the account ID with the weapon and make the clients ask the item server if the account owns said weapon, given the definition index and the quality. (But if they did do that, then Powerlord's suggestion of redirecting account ID should also work with manually given weapons.)

Maybe I should email Valve about this bug then. I would be pretty happy if this is exactly what they did, because then weapons we give to clients that they own legitimately in their backpack would also be rendered visible, which sounds fair game to me. (Not fair that my force a nature is invisible even though I own one.)

Last edited by Potato Uno; 07-06-2015 at 16:26. Reason: Less rude/bullshit
pheadxdll
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-06-2015 , 16:39   Re: So valve has made access for everyone to grab weapons.
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
The char* is presumably the weapon class and the Vector the player's position in the world when they died.
It's actually the model path of the dropped weapon.

Valve seems to have made it trivially easy to do with this update. I'm not sure if we should discuss it here as the same method can be done on wearables like hats as well.

Quote:
Lets be honest, this restriction was always about hats and not weapons.
They also made stock weapons invisible with gun mettle. With the introduction of skins and unusual effects, I don't think we can assume that anymore.

Last edited by pheadxdll; 07-06-2015 at 17:17.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-06-2015 , 20:39   Re: So valve has made access for everyone to grab weapons.
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheadxdll View Post
It's actually the model path of the dropped weapon.

Valve seems to have made it trivially easy to do with this update. I'm not sure if we should discuss it here as the same method can be done on wearables like hats as well.
Yeah, I derped. The weapon classname is part of the CEconItemView.

Quote:
They also made stock weapons invisible with gun mettle. With the introduction of skins and unusual effects, I don't think we can assume that anymore.
Really? That's kind of... dumb actually.
SourceMod Developer
Old 07-06-2015 , 20:40   Re: So valve has made access for everyone to grab weapons.
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
The weapon classname is part of the CEconItemView.
It is not.
Old 07-08-2015 , 06:26   Re: So valve has made access for everyone to grab weapons.
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Wait, did they actually made stock weapons invisible? i tried giving myself a weapon before the update comes and the stock weapon is visible, need to know why they did so?