Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D2]Jerky gameplay on a 100 tick server (0 lerp)

Post New Thread Reply   

MasterMe
Old 10-13-2020 , 13:46   Re: [L4D2]Jerky gameplay on a 100 tick server (0 lerp)
Reply With Quote #11

Hi Lux, I appreciate the feedback. I indeed noticed some of these things are enabled by default on Linux already and had also disabled sv_alternateticks, based upon cvar description I felt it was rather pointless. (Why run 100hz if you then use this to make entities run at 50hz?)

Could be it worked well for me as I have a lot of CPU and network available and the people I played with so far also have good net in general. I also found and read the thread you posted in 1,5 years ago, see https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=314771.

Also, is there a legit different between splitrate 1 and 2? Don't think maxcleartime 0.001 and 0.00001 matters considering it is a 100hz server in my case, and 0.001 is 1ms already.

So, current settings I have now are:

Code:
sm_cvar sv_minrate 100000
sm_cvar sv_maxrate 100000
sm_cvar sv_minupdaterate 100
sm_cvar sv_maxupdaterate 100
sm_cvar sv_mincmdrate 100
sm_cvar sv_maxcmdrate 100
sm_cvar sv_client_min_interp_ratio 0
sm_cvar sv_client_max_interp_ratio 0
sm_cvar fps_max 0
sm_cvar net_maxcleartime 0.00001
sm_cvar net_splitrate 2
sm_cvar net_splitpacket_maxrate 100000
On a side note I am also still somewhat experimenting with nb_update_frequency and related cvars, quite some trade-offs between the settings and not sure what is the best experience in the end.

Last edited by MasterMe; 10-13-2020 at 13:53. Reason: Add current settings
Lux
Veteran Member
Old 10-13-2020 , 22:15   Re: [L4D2]Jerky gameplay on a 100 tick server (0 lerp)
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
Also, is there a legit different between splitrate 1 and 2?
Code:
net_splitrate                            : 1        :                  : Number of fragments for a splitpacket that can be sent per frame
If the server needs to send you more data than clients can handle, it will limit snapshots and send you bigger updates in more fragments, also linked to net_splitpacket_maxrate.

Commission me for L4D

Last edited by Lux; 10-13-2020 at 22:18.
MasterMe
Old 10-13-2020 , 22:19   Re: [L4D2]Jerky gameplay on a 100 tick server (0 lerp)
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Code:
net_splitrate                            : 1        :                  : Number of fragments for a splitpacket that can be sent per frame
Yeah I read this too, but what it comes down to concretely. It's a bit vague. Does "frame" here mean as-in FPS or as-in networking frame, for example. Couldn't find much info about this.

Edit: Also what the effect of this on clients in reality.

Last edited by MasterMe; 10-13-2020 at 22:33.
Lux
Veteran Member
Old 10-13-2020 , 23:17   Re: [L4D2]Jerky gameplay on a 100 tick server (0 lerp)
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Yeah I read this too, but what it comes down to concretely. It's a bit vague. Does "frame" here mean as-in FPS or as-in networking frame, for example. Couldn't find much info about this.

Edit: Also what the effect of this on clients in reality.
A gameframe(tick), not going to explain packet splits which is what they are you can google that.

Can look at this also.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...yer_Networking

The problem with sending too many splits is client cannot keep up, don't know the internals but higher tickrates allow more packets to be received.

Commission me for L4D
AjvarXX
Old 12-06-2020 , 13:52   Re: [L4D2]Jerky gameplay on a 100 tick server (0 lerp)
Reply With Quote #15

Hello, fellas. I have same problem but from standpoint of a player.

I catched a bug (again) for few days when on good 100-tick servers with 0 lerp I see drastic double-vision of infected and smaller vibrating double-vision of players (their 2 frames step changes are way smaller in time) which worsens my gameplay.
Also I clearly feel that what is shown to me lags ~0.1 sec from what players really happen doing on server even though I have only 20 ms ping.

When it begins? It feels like when I stay as spectator in game which automatically lowers my tickrate to 30 to light server's work. As if server changes something in my game and does not undo that later.

My config and autoexec files are locked from writing. Inet network is great. CPU slow (dual core) but it was always fine before.
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 0
net_graph says packets are 100.

I am longtime player, I am used to play without jerky doubling from infected and other 7 players. Especially not f*ing the tank gameplay missing at close range when it was eeasy-peasy before to just see fluidly and hit easily.

What can be done?

Last edited by AjvarXX; 12-06-2020 at 13:54.
Slash The Mighty
Old 12-10-2020 , 00:35   Re: [L4D2]Jerky gameplay on a 100 tick server (0 lerp)
Reply With Quote #16

Thank you for sharing these configurations, they've helped greatly.
With these configs I've been able to run z_common_limit 100 smoothly.
The only complaint that I have is that if I set net_splitpacket_maxrate too high then it drops connection on big hordes.

Here's my configs for l4d2:
Code:
// increase the tickrate from a default 33 to hopefully 100
sm_cvar sv_alternateticks 1
sm_cvar sv_maxunlag 0.1
sm_cvar sv_minrate 100000
sm_cvar sv_maxrate 200000
sm_cvar sv_minupdaterate 100
sm_cvar sv_maxupdaterate 1000
sm_cvar sv_mincmdrate 100
sm_cvar sv_maxcmdrate 1000
sm_cvar net_maxroutable 1100
sm_cvar fps_max 0
sm_cvar net_maxcleartime 0.1
sm_cvar net_splitrate 2
sm_cvar net_splitpacket_maxrate 30000

//[CINFECTED]\\
sm_cvar z_common_limit 125                     //Default 30
sm_cvar z_background_limit 20                          //DEFAULT 20
sm_cvar z_mob_spawn_min_size 10
sm_cvar z_mob_spawn_max_size 150
sm_cvar z_mega_mob_size 300
sm_cvar z_mob_spawn_finale_size 1000
sm_cvar z_max_neighbor_range 16 //def. 200 - how close can CI stack with each other
sm_cvar nb_update_frequency 0 // if you want to play on lerp of 10ms set this value to 0.01 (this will stop laggy zombies) or 0.0 to match server tickrate
sm_cvar nb_friction_forward 0 //def. 3 - how often CI will try to lunge back
I would lower the net_splitrate to 1 with a lower z_common_limit as it seems to already be kinda funky at 2.. and at 10 I'm shooting things while being held by smokers 😂
MasterMe
Old 12-10-2020 , 10:18   Re: [L4D2]Jerky gameplay on a 100 tick server (0 lerp)
Reply With Quote #17

I'll quickly share my current configuration which has been running well for quite a while now. 100hz results is a lot of odd bugs such as https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=322141, so I use 96hz instead. Clients with decent internet and ping use cl_interp 0.

Code:
sm_cvar sv_minrate 96000
sm_cvar sv_maxrate 96000
sm_cvar sv_minupdaterate 96
sm_cvar sv_maxupdaterate 96
sm_cvar sv_mincmdrate 96
sm_cvar sv_maxcmdrate 96
sm_cvar fps_max 0
sm_cvar net_splitrate 2
sm_cvar net_splitpacket_maxrate 96000
sm_cvar nb_update_frequency 0
sm_cvar z_max_neighbor_range 16
// Fix boomer vomit attack range.
// https://forums.alliedmods.net/showpost.php?p=2722708&postcount=166
sm_cvar z_vomit_velocity 3400.0
Old 12-11-2020 , 10:33   Re: [L4D2]Jerky gameplay on a 100 tick server (0 lerp)
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
I'll quickly share my current configuration which has been running well for quite a while now. 100hz results is a lot of odd bugs such as https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=322141, so I use 96hz instead. Clients with decent internet and ping use cl_interp 0.

Code:
sm_cvar sv_minrate 96000
sm_cvar sv_maxrate 96000
sm_cvar sv_minupdaterate 96
sm_cvar sv_maxupdaterate 96
sm_cvar sv_mincmdrate 96
sm_cvar sv_maxcmdrate 96
sm_cvar fps_max 0
sm_cvar net_splitrate 2
sm_cvar net_splitpacket_maxrate 96000
sm_cvar nb_update_frequency 0
sm_cvar z_max_neighbor_range 16
// Fix boomer vomit attack range.
// https://forums.alliedmods.net/showpost.php?p=2722708&postcount=166
sm_cvar z_vomit_velocity 3400.0
I had been running a 60-tick server for a quite some time, but after one of the server updates recently, I started seeing jerky CI movement. After I saw this thread and your post, I decided to update to a 96-tick server using your server settings above. These settings work great. If a player has not altered the default cl_interp (0.1) on their client, their lerp will be 100ms, which I believe is the default they get with an official 30-tick server anyway. Setting the client to use cl_interp 0.01 results in a 50ms lerp. However, I set my client to use cl_interp 0 and it works great with 0 lerp. Smooth as butter. Thank you for posting that info!
AjvarXX
Old 12-11-2020 , 11:39   Update on Jerky gameplay on a 100 tick server (0 lerp)
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjvarXX View Post
Hello, fellas. I have same problem but from standpoint of a player.

I catched a bug (again) for few days when on good 100-tick servers with 0 lerp I see drastic double-vision of infected and smaller vibrating double-vision of players (their 2 frames step changes are way smaller in time) which worsens my gameplay.
Also I clearly feel that what is shown to me lags ~0.1 sec from what players really happen doing on server even though I have only 20 ms ping.

When it begins? It feels like when I stay as spectator in game which automatically lowers my tickrate to 30 to light server's work. As if server changes something in my game and does not undo that later.

My config and autoexec files are locked from writing. Inet network is great. CPU slow (dual core) but it was always fine before.
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 0
net_graph says packets are 100.

I am longtime player, I am used to play without jerky doubling from infected and other 7 players. Especially not f*ing the tank gameplay missing at close range when it was eeasy-peasy before to just see fluidly and hit easily.

What can be done?
I found the culprit of the problem.
I had steam startup command line of the game like this:
Code:
+fps_max 102 -refresh 100 -novid -lv -nod3d9ex -tickrate 100 -high +rate 100000 +cl_updaterate 100 +cl_cmdrate 100
For some reason those rate commands most like did that damage to my gameplay. Although they did NOT until recent updates.
KoMiKoZa
Old 06-19-2021 , 16:43   Re: [L4D2]Jerky gameplay on a 100 tick server (0 lerp)
Reply With Quote #20

Hello and thank you everyone for the posts.

You got me there, Lux; I followed various google guides and other lerp related literature. I also went by trial and error regarding some of the cvars and it just worked, or so I wanted to think.

I'm not sure why I posted what I posted because in the end my config looked like this:
Spoiler

I wasn't satisfied with it either way, so I'm here once again, fortunate enough to witness your guys' posts. Appreciate all the corrections!

Last edited by KoMiKoZa; 06-19-2021 at 16:46. Reason: Clarity