12% 

Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map

Post New Thread Reply   

LordDeath
Old 12-09-2019 , 13:19   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
That would probably be way too much work unless it's a single height everywhere. Also, this can easily be removed, with or without a plugin.

What are you talking about? Maps can't be "protected" because they have to be read by both the server and the client, both of which can't do any type of encryption. Also, there are some parts of a map that can be edited after a map is created even without decompiling it and it doesn't even require people to re-download it.
Okay, I'll explain this once and for all.
"they have to be read by both the server and the client"
Nope, this is wrong, at least the red part is wrong.
having both BSP files both on server and client doesn't mean both need to read, only the server reads and the client follows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redivcram View Post
So, you're gonna believe everything you read on the internet just because multiple people agree? Have you ever considered just searching for a tiny sample of evidence to approve?

I am good with maps, yet I do not know and did not receive any good answer in this thread, yet. People say that you can make the map work, yet they did not provide evidence NOR information, which is the main part.
can you make the map I posted work?...
yes, as much as anyone can look at a plugin and recode it, a mapper can look at a map and remake it.
no, as you can't just take a protected .amxx file (private plugin) with some code or some method and run it on your server for example, you can't take a private BSP file and expect it work alright.

Last edited by LordDeath; 12-09-2019 at 13:25.
redivcram
Veteran Member
Old 12-09-2019 , 13:47   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDeath View Post
can you make the map I posted work?...
I was talking about your map the whole time.

Quote:
yes, as much as anyone can look at a plugin and recode it, a mapper can look at a map and remake it.
no, as you can't just take a protected .amxx file (private plugin) with some code or some method and run it on your server for example, you can't take a private BSP file and expect it work alright.
I have no clue what you just tried to tell me there relevant to my question, but I give up. So many conflicts happen between conversations in this thread. It doesn't even matter, honestly.

Last edited by redivcram; 12-09-2019 at 13:47.
DruGzOG
Veteran Member
Old 12-09-2019 , 14:36   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #33

Quote:
Yes, you get the map to run or let's say "open" but what you have done is just nothing because you didn't even get the actual map content (because what you have done is literally deleting it's content and adding up spawns/light instead of getting the actual content) which is absurd. (unless you are willing to rebuild it yourself)
Compare this to the screenshot that you posted https://imgur.com/a/qGnfdL0
also wad files are texture files, it has nothing to do with showing entities of the maps or not.
Nothing was altered in that map except adding spawn points. If you'd like to test it, I can run the map on my server and you can play on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redivcram View Post
His philosophy makes no sense and is missing a lot of details related to the answer I'm looking.
My philosophy makes no sense? Just proved that no map can be protected under any means. Map was NEVER altered, just added spawn points.

Quote:
nothing was proved wrong here.
once again, what he played is a map ripped of everything, just the brushes that seal the map are there (textured).
which means you still don't get to play the actual map even if u get to decompile it.
I believe you can compare between both yourself.
https://imgur.com/a/qGnfdL0 (actual map)
https://imgur.com/a/QNIlpkA (drugzog thingy)
Again, the map was never edited and if you'd like, I can run it on my server for you just to test it. It looks different from the image cause I have a mod running that effects the lights of the map. Other than that, its the same thing. If the map was altered in any way, you'd have a different version as opposed to what's in the server. You really just don't know what you're talking about.

Map files uploaded to the server ARE downloaded to the client, which means they have the SAME exact map. You sent a link, all I did was upload to my server, used a plugin to add spawn points, and the map was functional. And congrats on using the default image to compare and make the assumption that the map was edited when multiple times if you actually read it, said that I just added spawn points.

Opened it in valve hammer editor and it was fine once I added the wad file that contains the textures and entities that they "protected".
Just looked into RipENT and this alone can do the same exact thing.

You can join my communities discord and ping me or message me. I'll give you the IP (cs:cz) otherwise I can build a server for you to just test it on 1.6, without any edits.

Edit: 74.91.117.151:27018 - CS 1.6 Just for you to test it. I'll run it for 24 hours from the time this post was edited and posted.

Last edited by DruGzOG; 12-09-2019 at 15:01.
Send a message via AIM to DruGzOG
LordDeath
Old 12-09-2019 , 15:08   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruGzOG View Post
Nothing was altered in that map except adding spawn points. If you'd like to test it, I can run the map on my server and you can play on it.

My philosophy makes no sense? Just proved that no map can be protected under any means. Map was NEVER altered, just added spawn points.

Again, the map was never edited and if you'd like, I can run it on my server for you just to test it. It looks different from the image cause I have a mod running that effects the lights of the map. Other than that, its the same thing. If the map was altered in any way, you'd have a different version as opposed to what's in the server. You really just don't know what you're talking about.

Map files uploaded to the server ARE downloaded to the client, which means they have the SAME exact map. You sent a link, all I did was upload to my server, used a plugin to add spawn points, and the map was functional. And congrats on using the default image to compare and make the assumption that the map was edited when multiple times if you actually read it, said that I just added spawn points.

Opened it in valve hammer editor and it was fine once I added the wad file that contains the textures and entities that they "protected".
Just looked into RipENT and this alone can do the same exact thing.

You can join my communities discord and ping me or message me. I'll give you the IP (cs:cz) otherwise I can build a server for you to just test it on 1.6, without any edits.

Edit: 74.91.117.151:27018 - CS 1.6 Just for you to test it. I'll run it for 24 hours from the time this post was edited and posted.
There is clearly extra stuff in my screenshots, such as the water, brushes, walls, doors, lights, and ladders and more which aren't there in yours.
"Map files uploaded to the server ARE downloaded to the client, which means they have the SAME exact map" No, I already said it once. "having both BSP files both on server and client doesn't mean both need to read, only the server reads and the client follows."
I'm installing cz to join atm(around 60%), but you can visit the server here(1.6) to compare mine to yours (both are the same files, however, what you have is edited not to run at all).
74.91.116.201:27115 -> It has nothing but the map, even if you got the map from the fast download it will still not run for you offline.

Last edited by LordDeath; 12-09-2019 at 15:24.
DruGzOG
Veteran Member
Old 12-09-2019 , 15:11   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #35

Quote:
There is clearly extra stuff in my screenshots, such as the water, brushes, walls, and ladders.
74.91.117.151:27015 - Its in cz. Test it. Didn't get time to upload it to my cs 1.6 server.
Old 12-09-2019 , 15:42   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #36

Quote:
74.91.117.151:27015 - Its in cz. Test it. Didn't get time to upload it to my cs 1.6 server.
What I played on your server https://imgur.com/a/nDcoxj5
what I have on the actual map https://imgur.com/a/YLhDGFW
DruGzOG
Veteran Member
Old 12-09-2019 , 15:44   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #37

Quote:
What I played on your server https://imgur.com/a/nDcoxj5
what I have on the actual map https://imgur.com/a/YLhDGFW
And again, nothing was altered on my end. I uploaded the mediafire link you sent of the map file. You claimed that map was not able to be accessed. All I did was use jopmako's spawn editor, added spawns and that made the map playable.

And again, you can upload that map since you downloaded it, and see if it works without the plugin.

Last edited by DruGzOG; 12-09-2019 at 15:45.
Send a message via AIM to DruGzOG
LordDeath
Old 12-09-2019 , 15:48   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #38

Quote:
And again, nothing was altered on my end. I uploaded the mediafire link you sent of the map file. You claimed that map was not able to be accessed. All I did was use jopmako's spawn editor, added spawns and that made the map playable.

And again, you can upload that map since you downloaded it, and see if it works without the plugin.
yes, you made it playable, but do you really think anyone would play that map anyway in it's form
?
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 12-09-2019 , 19:58   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #39

All LordDeath did was remove the entities from the .bsp file (nothing else can be altered via encryption or otherwise). Entities are transmitted from the server and override the values in a client's BSP file (I've used this fact many years ago to modify existing maps without requiring people to re-download the map). So, you can have a custom version on your server and only put the version you want people to download on your fast download or you can use a plugin to place the entities.

So, it all comes down to semantics regarding what constitutes "sameness" in the context of maps.
Old 12-09-2019 , 20:40   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
All LordDeath did was remove the entities from the .bsp file (nothing else can be altered via encryption or otherwise). Entities are transmitted from the server and override the values in a client's BSP file (I've used this fact many years ago to modify existing maps without requiring people to re-download the map). So, you can have a custom version on your server and only put the version you want people to download on your fast download or you can use a plugin to place the entities.

So, it all comes down to semantics regarding what constitutes "sameness" in the context of maps.
I still cannot figure out why the BSP cannot be decompiled via BSP2MAP. Lack of entities would make 0 sense to me, as the solid world brushes should remain and you can't do anything to them nor add new ones with plugins.