Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

PTB Server Wont Start

ChumpKiller
Old 10-02-2005 , 06:06   PTB Server Wont Start

I have tried PTB, by itself, on our match server (just for testing ) and found it all seemed to work ok. The match server also runs Mani plugin.

I then tried to put it on our main server, that has Mani plugin and mattie Events , and the server would not re-start. Looks like it does not like something in this plugin combination :-/

The servers are both with the same server company and both 64bit AMD thingies running Linux.

Shame as this looked good.
kingpin
Veteran Member
Old 10-02-2005 , 18:58  

running mani and mattie here and ptb starts fine on linux.
Old 10-03-2005 , 12:33  

Works fine for me.

plugin_print

Loaded plugins:
---------------------
0:<TAB>"PTBx v1.7x1d1, Team Balancer. Copyright 2004-2005 XAD. (Original Team Balancing code, Copyright Ptahhotep.)"
1:<TAB>"Mattie's EventScripts, http://mattie.info/cs, Version:0.9.1"
2:<TAB>"Mani Admin Plugin 2005 V1.1.0ze, www.mani-admin-plugin.com"
ChumpKiller
Old 10-14-2005 , 11:17  

Thanks, I will re-try this. Must be a silly I did.
ChumpKiller
Old 10-23-2005 , 05:36  

Tried it and worked first time. So must have done something real silly when I tried it before.

My only question now is I used to use ETB, and you could type in the console ETB to get a list of the statistic, which was great for checking all was well.

With PTB everything I type in the console just gives the name / version strings. I have even tried rcon PTB and no luck. Is there any way of doing this from the console please ?

Many thanks
XAD
Old 10-23-2005 , 09:58  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpKiller
Tried it and worked first time. So must have done something real silly when I tried it before.
Good...

Quote:
With PTB everything I type in the console just gives the name / version strings. I have even tried rcon PTB and no luck. Is there any way of doing this from the console please ?
Sorry, the console commands only works from the server console... From the client it will only display this message...
One reason is that the implemention of the "save ptb options" had low priority, so any permanent changes would have to be done in the server configuration files anyway...

/X
ChumpKiller
Old 10-23-2005 , 15:15  

Thanks for your help.

Will just make it slower to tweak, when cant see what is going on internally, but will stick with it as just totally lost faith in ETB now.
ChumpKiller
Old 10-25-2005 , 18:51  

Well Im impressed with its balancing, most the time, much better than ETB.

When on a full 30 man server a lot of maps end 13/12 or 12/12 and cant ask for better than that.

However I have noticed if a map has a reasonably high turn over of ppl it struggles. Also it seems to let one team get further ahead before it evens out then I would like. This suggests I need to make it more agressive.

One question I have for this. I have it set to only swap dead ppl. What effect does it have on swapped live players if I change it to swap them also ?

Does it lose them a life or something weird ?

Many thanks
XAD
Old 10-26-2005 , 03:45  

Quote:
Well Im impressed with its balancing, most the time, much better than ETB.

When on a full 30 man server a lot of maps end 13/12 or 12/12 and cant ask for better than that.

However I have noticed if a map has a reasonably high turn over of ppl it struggles. Also it seems to let one team get further ahead before it evens out then I would like. This suggests I need to make it more agressive.
You are right on to it's strengths and weaknesses (at least from my perspective)... I started to design an improvement to the problem with the high turn over but our clan stopped playing and running CSS...

Quote:
One question I have for this. I have it set to only swap dead ppl. What effect does it have on swapped live players if I change it to swap them also ?

Does it lose them a life or something weird ?
Unless you allow switching alive players PTB/PTBx will not work optimal, as often the only players dying in the winning team are the "worst" which won't improve the team balance.

Switching alive players will not "kill" them but only change the team (as the default built in team balancing).

The default value is "2" (if you don't specify the parameter), which first try to even out by selecting dead players only, and if it fails then among all players.

/X
ChumpKiller
Old 11-05-2005 , 12:14  

I have tried with a setting of 2 and cant say I really notice that much difference.

Far more I notice some inaction in the balancing, and suspect I have misunderstood what certain variables do.

ptb switch on
ptb switchafter 1
ptb switchmin 3
ptb switchfreq 1
ptb playerfreq 4
ptb forceswitch 3

ptb maxstreak 2
ptb maxscore 2
ptb scorehist 0
ptb minrating 1.2
ptb maxrating 1.8
ptb superrating 2.6

I have tweaked the ratings to try and force a more aggressive balancing. I have also got a low maxstreak and maxscorce values to ensure PTB 'sees' team imbalances quickly.

However sometimes it seems to be too many rounds saying the teams are fine, even thought the maxscore and/or maxstreak are exceeded.

So 2 questions :

I was under the impression that playerfreq determined how often EACH player was switched (minimum rounds between switches, so it has a history for each player on the server). Is this an incorrect assumption and it is really a min rounds before ANY player is switched ? Thus needs to be lower to enable more frequent switches.

Also I have looked in the readme, and on here, and some of the variables seem to be undescribed, like scorehist. Is there a better source of information than README_PTBx.txt ?

Many thanks