Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

<3

Post New Thread Reply   

Greyscale
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 10-30-2010 , 04:06   <3
Reply With Quote #1

Sorry for not being around much everybody. I try to browse around the forums when I get a chance, but I've been so busy lately it's become a rare occurrence.

I started college in the fall, majoring in Computer Engineering/Computer Science, so even though I'm not working on ZR my programming skills will still be developing (I've already learned 90% of C/C++ in the first 2 months of school, kind of excited to look at the HL2 sdk and actually understand what's going on).

Though I'm not sure how much more work I'll be able to do on Zombie:Reloaded in the future. Pawn is a great language (it's helped me so much in my classes) but I want to explore other languages as well. Maybe we/I will end up re-writing it as a metamod plugin (not that ZR hasn't been rewritten enough times). This will also give us the chance to redesign anything that people are having trouble with (e.g. simpler configs). Not to mention I will have full reign over the engine, not that SM limited us much anyway.

Anyways, I need to get to bed. Haven't gotten much sleep lately.

Happy zombie hunting!
Old 10-30-2010 , 04:34   Re: <3
Reply With Quote #2

One reason to rewrite ZR as a MM plugin is that we get a more flexible language which makes it possible to write plugin logic in a object oriented language and reduce code amount by making reusable components.

We could also have our own extension (possibly in addition to SDK Hooks) that manage your base framework and other complex stuff that will be available through natives and forwards. SM doesn't really limit us if we can access features through extensions.

At the moment we should go for your base at it is now. It actually works. And even though it doesn't only have good sides, it's still worth it. Aborting a rewrite and starting another one will delay the next release too much.

So if you want to rewrite something, I'd start rewriting your base framework as an extension to SM, or even as a MM plugin that other MM plugins can use. Your framework is pretty complex and definitely deserves to be written in C++ instead of SourcePawn.

Zombie:Reloaded | PawnUnit | Object Library
(Please don't send private messages for support, they will be ignored. Use the forum.)
Send a message via MSN to rhelgeby
Sandfly
Old 10-30-2010 , 09:54   Re: <3
Reply With Quote #3

This team of Grey & Richard is one that has delivered a superlative product, so full of promise and potential.

I hope that same team sticks together to oversee the imminent next version release, or simply to be at the helm of it as it evolves under your watchful eyes.

It would be a shame to see it diluted for an inability to apply time to it. It has been a hard struggle to win the popularity & superiority for it that the Mod now enjoys - it requires both of you there to ensure its long term survival.

We've all committed to stick with this and assist you both no matter what. A lot of other communities and major servers also.
We need to hear the Dev Team is still tight, and certainly, while real life considerations must take priority, what you're looking at here has taken a large part of both of your recent lives, and just as it is set to really be something dominant, attention to ensure it transitions to the next level should also be forthcoming.
|IC| UltimateZombie: Reloaded - IP: 117.20.5.153:27015

|IC| Ultra GunGame SM - IP: 117.20.5.153:27018
santaclaus
Old 10-31-2010 , 15:22   Re: <3
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandfly View Post
This team of Grey & Richard is one that has delivered a superlative product, so full of promise and potential.
... etc .
same. +1

KyleS
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 10-31-2010 , 18:14   Re: <3
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by santaclaus View Post
same. +1