Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[L4D] Mystery Game: Whodunit?

Post New Thread Reply   

Marcus101RR
Veteran Member
Old 12-18-2009 , 00:31   [L4D] Mystery Game: Whodunit?
Reply With Quote #1

[L4D] Mystery Game: Whodunit?

That would be awesome if someone made a little mod like that where one person is selected the murderer, and the others have to find out who it is. In a mansion like map free to roam around, picking up weapons in secret spawn locations. All you start off with is a pistol.

Script selects out of the many players within the game who is the murderer and who are survivors. Murderer has more defense, and twice the attack damage, so he can kill anyone in a single shot (assuming shotgun).

Featuers...
-Survivors who attack innocent people get penalty of 25 health damage. Any Second kill of another innocent player results in death. So basically you can kill one person for free, but after that...its the death sentence for you.

-Murderer has to pick up weapons just like everyone else, but gets dual pistols instead on start (if selected as murderer).

-Murderer has access to hidden passages that other players can't use, good for assassinations.

Don't know if this requires an SMX plugin, a map and script, or both. But hey, worth trying here. I would love to play that game. I have seen some FPS games get some funny Mods, such as this game.

Would be awesome if there were other types of games like that.
Send a message via AIM to Marcus101RR Send a message via Skype™ to Marcus101RR
devicenull
Veteran Member
Old 12-18-2009 , 01:29   Re: [L4D] Mystery Game: Whodunit?
Reply With Quote #2

We have a plugins request forum for a reason :p
Veteran Member
Old 12-18-2009 , 13:04   Re: [L4D] Mystery Game: Whodunit?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by devicenull View Post
We have a plugins request forum for a reason :p
Yeah, sorry about that, wasn't paying attention to where I posted this at. Thank you for moving it, hopefully won't happen again.
triggerman
Old 12-18-2009 , 15:28   Re: [L4D] Mystery Game: Whodunit?
Reply With Quote #4

Has anyone ever played Zerg Infectation for Warcraft 3 TFT? i think that kind of gameplay would be perfect.

it had endless waves of enemys attacking with everyone tasked to defend the base. 1 player was "infected" and had to sabotage the base and/or kill other players. they could also infect other players and they would become infected.

the only problem with this in l4d2 is the murderer could easily kill everyone and the game would be over very quickly.
Marcus101RR
Veteran Member
Old 12-19-2009 , 13:23   Re: [L4D] Mystery Game: Whodunit?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerman View Post
Has anyone ever played Zerg Infectation for Warcraft 3 TFT? i think that kind of gameplay would be perfect.

it had endless waves of enemys attacking with everyone tasked to defend the base. 1 player was "infected" and had to sabotage the base and/or kill other players. they could also infect other players and they would become infected.

the only problem with this in l4d2 is the murderer could easily kill everyone and the game would be over very quickly.
Well considering the director is on stop mode, so there are no ZOMBIES, or anything other obstacles in your way other than 1 murderer. The main question is here, who will be the murderer, and how will he be it.

The problem here is if the flow the game is possible to script. i tried doing it without much of a script and changing some cvars. I set boomers and smokers to 0 and only 1 hunter. Hunter does 25 damage a scratch. Technically, the murderer should be a survivor but, that wont work at the moment.

Don't forget that since there are maxplayer plugins, the number of players will be 16 to 32 people in one server. And only around 4-6 Bytes are sent at a quiet and peaceful event without any zombies other than 1 hunter killing. Or in this case with a script, one survivor is selected to kill all other survivors.

There is already a map not designed for this, but it fits the scene: http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=3685
ChillyWI
Old 12-19-2009 , 14:38   Re: [L4D] Mystery Game: Whodunit?
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus101RR View Post
Don't forget that since there are maxplayer plugins, the number of players will be 16 to 32 people in one server.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't L4D locked at a max of 18 slots?

More importantly, what's the point of having this integrated with L4D? L4D can't offer anything for a murder mystery game that isn't possible through even a web app. In other words, what do you gain by having this integrated with L4D?
Thraka
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-19-2009 , 21:24   Re: [L4D] Mystery Game: Whodunit?
Reply With Quote #7

Or you could go play "The Ship"

Seriously though, this could be a neat plugin if you had maps to go along with it.
Marcus101RR
Veteran Member
Old 12-20-2009 , 14:54   Re: [L4D] Mystery Game: Whodunit?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyWI View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't L4D locked at a max of 18 slots?

More importantly, what's the point of having this integrated with L4D? L4D can't offer anything for a murder mystery game that isn't possible through even a web app. In other words, what do you gain by having this integrated with L4D?
A Different gameplay experience, other FPS games have obtained this mod. Such as Doom, CS, etc. L4D can do it too. If you don't like the idea , don't worry about it. This is a mod, and like all mods, they change l4d's original intentions.

Regarding the 18 Slot, Wrong. If you don't use Left 4 Downtown, as I do, I use L4Dtoolz, you can have maximum of 32 to slots. The fact is, it allows you to kill survivors, and in fact, one of them is the murderer, if he dies, you gain a point. If he kills people, he gains points one by one. If you kill innocent people, you lose points. Easy.

What exactly is "the Ship"?

Last edited by Marcus101RR; 12-20-2009 at 14:56. Reason: 18 Slot , 32 Slot