Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D2][REQ] Willing to pay for scramble+

Post New Thread Reply   

ChillyWI
Old 12-06-2009 , 21:43   [L4D2][REQ] Willing to pay for scramble+
Reply With Quote #1

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=110531

Posted this a week ago and nobody took it up, so now I'm willing to pay for it. Note that it's versus only. In order to be considered for payment it must:

1. Start a vote when the first stage starts. Should ask "Would you like randomized teams each stage with per player scoring?". If majority want it, it gets enabled for the duration of that campaign. Note that some games might start on the second or third stages overall, so it should work for those instances too.

2. Each stage it should completely randomize the teams. Optionally include !rescramble and !voterescramble to allow a rescrambling of the teams if they don't look good.

3. Each stage players would get their team score added into their total score. So if they got 400 points as a team, each player's individual score would increase by that amount.

4. A player leaderboard should be displayed at the beginning and end of each stage showing player scores, plus an on-demand one (!showscores, or similar).

5. Logging to a file or database would be HIGHLY desirable, but optional. Would just include the game id (datetime?), campaign, steam id, player name, and overall score for that game. I'd be happy to make a web interface for it.

One concern is showing the score at the end of the game. Something like using the !pause plugin after displaying the player leaderboard would be acceptable. Or just show the score as soon as all survivors are incapped or dead, until the map actually ends. Either way is fine. I've got absolutely no problem with someone making use of existing plugins or code, but if you use a lot from someone else it'd be nice if you offered a bit of the payment to them too.

I haven't paid for a plugin before, but someone could make me an offer in a PM. I'd be generous in paying for this, since I know there's a demand for it out there. Would pay via Paypal and could do incremental payments for each feature, or however you'd want to handle it.

Last edited by ChillyWI; 12-06-2009 at 21:45.
AtomicStryker
Veteran Member
Old 12-07-2009 , 04:49   Re: [L4D2][REQ] Willing to pay for scramble+
Reply With Quote #2

L4D2 does not support 'individual' scores for Survivors, also your score doesnt carry over when you switch teams.

You basically want an entire player-oriented scoring system beside the L4D2 one, also to be saved in a database?

I reckoned that idea fairly stupid for highly frequented TF2 servers, and for L4D2 its plain ridiculous
ChillyWI
Old 12-07-2009 , 12:46   Re: [L4D2][REQ] Willing to pay for scramble+
Reply With Quote #3

Wouldn't it be simple to store a playerscores associative array for the duration of a game? The key would be steam id and the value would be the individual player's score, which would be incremented with the team score at the end of each stage.

Here's the thing... we have games with friends every night, where all 8 players are regulars. Instead of trying to perfectly balance the teams each game, it'd be a lot more fun to simply randomize teams each stage. The problem there is that there's no "reward" for playing well, since you quickly get unpaired from your team score. Hence, player based scoring.

Feedback from other admins/players that I've discussed it with has been overwhelmingly positive to this point. I also think it'd be popular on many servers since it'd prevent ragequits. If you get stuck on a bad team, at least you're only with them for one stage.
dirka_dirka
Veteran Member
Old 12-07-2009 , 16:46   Re: [L4D2][REQ] Willing to pay for scramble+
Reply With Quote #4

there is no actual player score in this game tho..

silently the game tracks player kills for both survivor and infected. while publicly the game displays damage (each point being damage - compared to 2 points per damage in l4d1) for infected only.

the team score is only how far your team makes it through the map. no other factor involved. breaking it down by player means nothing because you have no way of telling why someone died first or got farther then the rest.

i wouldnt mind seeing a scramble plugin with some sort of voting abilities... and perhaps options to scramble every round or every campaign. add in an option to vote for next campaign to perfect it (sorta like the existing vote at end of game to play again - but add a scramble and map change).
ChillyWI
Old 12-08-2009 , 00:21   Re: [L4D2][REQ] Willing to pay for scramble+
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirka_dirka View Post
the team score is only how far your team makes it through the map. no other factor involved. breaking it down by player means nothing because you have no way of telling why someone died first or got farther then the rest.
The team score when teams aren't scrambled is just a measure of how far your team makes it, so I'm not sure where the difference lies. I'm not asking in-game player scores to be adjusted. I'm asking for them to be calculated and stored by the plugin and displayed. Team scores don't show the reason a team goes down either. So the overall result of this is that generally the better team players will get a better overall score, since their team will generally go further. I want scores calculated using team distance, not individual distance.