Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

In-Game Web Browser does not allow navigation of same websites

Post New Thread Reply   

Xiaminou
Old 09-22-2017 , 11:02   In-Game Web Browser does not allow navigation of same websites
Reply With Quote #1

I own a server on Empires and I'm having problems with plugins' interaction with the in-game web browser.

When using the in-game web browser I can't navigate the same website, but I can go to other websites.
For example, I have a profile plugin, however since my MOTD is a steamgroup page, the profile plugin will not work properly.
To be perfectly clear, it's not just plugins that don't work properly, when clicking links on a website that would link to the same website, it doesn't work either.
I'm not sure how long it's been happening, I don't know if it's related to sourcemod or just a general bug in the game.
Has anyone heard of a similar bug?

Last edited by Xiaminou; 09-22-2017 at 11:09.
nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 09-22-2017 , 11:35   Re: In-Game Web Browser does not allow navigation of same websites
Reply With Quote #2

Seems to be an issue with the Steam browser. It's been that way for a while.

I wrote up a workaround in TF2. It rewrites VGUI message URLs so they all get sent to a page that opens it up in an iframe element. Just download, compile, and install.

I'm not sure if Empires handles MOTDs the same way TF2 does (I recall CS:GO using protobufs and requiring pop-ups or something), but you're welcome to give it a shot.

Note that this workaround doesn't work on sites that block from being loaded through iframes. The Steam group page is one of them, though profile pages do go through. If you have a /group command or similar, just make sure you're sending the GID-style URL (or change the regular expression that determines whether or not a URL is bypassed).

Also, the workaround requires a static page, defined as MOTD_PROXY_URL in the source. I'm hosting a copy of the page myself, but instead of relying on my goodwill (I lose access to the domain / my VPS box / broke my nginx config / decided to scum up the page with advertisements), the HTML is available if you'd like to host it on a separate domain; just change the constant and build. The plugin uses location hashes, so any URLs you send aren't transmitted to my server.

Last edited by nosoop; 09-22-2017 at 11:51.
Xiaminou
Old 09-22-2017 , 17:44   Re: In-Game Web Browser does not allow navigation of same websites
Reply With Quote #3

Thank you.

It's working perfectly, even for my MOTD's steam group page.
Xiaminou
Old 01-12-2018 , 15:31   Re: In-Game Web Browser does not allow navigation of same websites
Reply With Quote #4

Something broke, again, I can't figure out what's going on.
Now some pages work, others just show up an empty browser.
nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 01-12-2018 , 20:16   Re: In-Game Web Browser does not allow navigation of same websites
Reply With Quote #5

The Steam community pages (including profiles) started restricting iframes to pages of the same origin. I think it started happening within the last month.

I made an updated version of the plugin that has a more compatible workaround (which doesn't use iframes by default); see if that one works.
Make sure to unload / disable motd_cache_bypass.smx.

Last edited by nosoop; 01-20-2018 at 23:07. Reason: words
Xiaminou
Old 01-19-2018 , 18:48   Re: In-Game Web Browser does not allow navigation of same websites
Reply With Quote #6

Thank you very much, don't know what I'd do without you.
VPPGamingNetwork
Veteran Member
Old 01-19-2018 , 19:15   Re: In-Game Web Browser does not allow navigation of same websites
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaminou View Post
Thank you very much, don't know what I'd do without you.
you could give him a donation

We provide MOTD Ads
Net 1 payments
Visit us