Old 07-09-2020 , 02:44   Need some help to host some great game servers
Reply With Quote #1

Hi there,
I want to host a few csgo game servers and I do not know which
server configuration should I take in consideration between:

a) https://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers/advance/adv-5/
b) https://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers/game/game-2/

Both servers would have 128GB ram. I would like to know if I'll be able to
cram around 15-20 game servers, at around 6GB RAM per game server on a single machine.
For e.g I know that CSGO at 128 tickrate, the CPU becomes a bottleneck.
I'm not sure if would be better to get AMD Ryzen7 because of higher frequency rather than AMD Epyc 7451.

Is there anyone that runs CSGO (16, 32 players at 64 and 128 tickrate) game servers and could tell me about the resource consumption ?
Thanks a lot !
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-09-2020 , 03:21   Re: Need some help to host some great game servers
Reply With Quote #2

It's a pretty simply breakdown -

Rule of thumb is 1 CS:GO server PER core (or 2 threads) with 2 GBs of RAM standard vanilla install with no GOTV Recording. However things get real tricky once you start incorporating servers that use GOTV recording, at which point you need 5 GBs of RAM PER server. A standard match will shoot up your resource usage to about 4.5GBs. CS:GO is single threaded resource dependent, multicore will not help you help at all, so you will want the Ryzen 7 without a doubt since Intel 9900K or greater is not an option. As always, it's ideal to leave at least one core or two threads open for system services to be performed on the machine.

So in terms of what you could run that would result in adequate or better performance -
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X - 8c/ 16t - 3.9GHz/ 4.5GHz
@ 128 tickrate - 7 servers w/ 18 slots+ each
@ 64 tickrate - 14 servers w/ 24 slots+ each

AMD Epyc 7451 - 24c/ 48t - 2.3GHz/ 3.2GHz
@ 128 tickrate - 22 servers w/ 10 slots+ each
@ 64 tickrate - 46 servers w/ 16 slots+ each

To give you better estimate you have to give exact setup configurations for what you plan to host. Such as tickrate, slot count, plugins, and whether GOTV is recording and duration per demo file.
digin
Old 07-09-2020 , 03:54   Re: Need some help to host some great game servers
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxximou5 View Post

Rule of thumb is 1 CS:GO server PER core (or 2 threads) with 2 GBs of RAM standard vanilla install with no GOTV Recording. However things get real tricky once you start incorporating servers that use GOTV recording, at which point you need 5 GBs of RAM PER server. A standard match will shoot up your resource usage to about 4.5GBs. CS:GO is single threaded resource dependent, multicore will not help you help at all, so you will want the Ryzen 7 without a doubt since Intel 9900K or greater is not an option. As always, it's ideal to leave at least one core or two threads open for system services to be performed on the machine.

So in terms of what you could run that would result in adequate or better performance -

To give you better estimate you have to give exact setup configurations for what you plan to host. Such as tickrate, slot count, plugins, and whether GOTV is recording and duration per demo file.
Is that true if running GOTV requires 4.5GB of RAM per server? because I run 4 Competitive Server 128 Tick with GOTV on a server with 10GB RAM and sometimes the server is shutdown due to "out of memory kill process" idk why

Last edited by digin; 07-09-2020 at 03:55.
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-09-2020 , 05:02   Re: Need some help to host some great game servers
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by digin View Post
Is that true if running GOTV requires 4.5GB of RAM per server? because I run 4 Competitive Server 128 Tick with GOTV on a server with 10GB RAM and sometimes the server is shutdown due to "out of memory kill process" idk why
You answered your own question.

A typical CS:GO match of let’s say 45 minutes will eat up that much RAM. You’ll notice the jump from maybe 1GB to 4GB once the server stops recording to save the demo file.
digin
Old 07-09-2020 , 06:06   Re: Need some help to host some great game servers
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
You answered your own question.

A typical CS:GO match of let’s say 45 minutes will eat up that much RAM. You’ll notice the jump from maybe 1GB to 4GB once the server stops recording to save the demo file.
okay, thank you, because before I assume 2 GB RAM / server is enough if using GOTV and I was confused why the server can "run out of memory"

btw which better? use LGSM or Pterodactyl in terms of server performance
because if I'm not wrong, Pterodayctl is using docker Is that better than LGSM?
takenheart
Old 07-09-2020 , 06:20   Re: Need some help to host some great game servers
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:

I would be interested in how many 32 players game servers at tickrate 64 and 128 would I be able to cram on that AMD Epyc 7451.
I plan to host game servers of 10, 16, 20, 32 slots at tickrate 64 & 128.
I don't plan to use GOTV, but if some clients would want that, I have to offer it.
As of plugins I want to install around 10, 20 plugins on some game servers. The most popular ones.

Last edited by takenheart; 07-09-2020 at 06:23.
Happy DODs player
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-09-2020 , 12:24   Re: Need some help to host some great game servers
Reply With Quote #7

https://gameserver.gamed.de/root-ser...ed-server.html

Check there prices......

And great service....... Maybe you get more for your money. ( Dont know but just look )
Old 07-09-2020 , 13:31   Re: Need some help to host some great game servers
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by digin View Post
okay, thank you, because before I assume 2 GB RAM / server is enough if using GOTV and I was confused why the server can "run out of memory"

btw which better? use LGSM or Pterodactyl in terms of server performance
because if I'm not wrong, Pterodayctl is using docker Is that better than LGSM?
Both are fine and I use both for my clients, it's simply a preference. You won't see any performance loss using either as you can get the same exact performance levels out of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by takenheart View Post
I would be interested in how many 32 players game servers at tickrate 64 and 128 would I be able to cram on that AMD Epyc 7451.
I plan to host game servers of 10, 16, 20, 32 slots at tickrate 64 & 128.
I don't plan to use GOTV, but if some clients would want that, I have to offer it.
As of plugins I want to install around 10, 20 plugins on some game servers. The most popular ones.
You won't be able to get great performing servers using 128 tick with the AMD Epyc 7451, but I would imagine they would be acceptable. If you have the option to test it before purchasing, I would do that. The issue is that you really want a high base clock speed, turboing is not going to benefit you if you're using all the cores as you'll hit TDP limits. If you're simply trying to cram servers on it, I would say it's your best choice and you might be surprised with what you can get away.