Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Ten Years of Half-Life

Post New Thread Reply   

Pro Patria Finland
Old 11-18-2008 , 17:18   Ten Years of Half-Life
Reply With Quote #1

Since it's already midnight here, I'll take a head start and post this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Half-Life is a science fiction first-person shooter video game developed by Valve Software and the company's debut product. First released by Sierra Studios on November 19, 1998
That's right bitches, 10 years. I myself remember my brother buying the game early '99. I was 8 years old, and that game was to change my life forever. I had played games before that, but nothing really kept me as interested as this. The atmosphere was so scary for the mini-me. I mean, the characters looked so realistic comparing to earlier games, especially the monsters. It took me months to actually finish the game, but when I did... I had never been that impressed by a game, ever. (Well, maybe Super Mario Bros. 3, but that's a whole other thing ).

Now, looking back at that, ten years later; Damn I am happy that I got to play it, and have played it through so many times since. I mean, nowadays it takes just a couple of hours - I sometimes play HL at school when I am bored. But still, if I had never played Half-Life, I probably would have never become a gamer. And if I hadn't become a gamer, I would've never become so interested in computers... and next spring I will get my paper as an "ICT assembler" or "electronics assembler", whatever the name is nowadays. I am also a quite respected member in the best Half-Life scripting community around

Needles to say, HL changed the path of my life. And now it's time to fucking celebrate that! Tomorrow, or, well, today since it's past midnight, I will start a Half-Life marathon. I will play HL, OpFor, BShift, HL2, the episodes and Portal in a chronological order. Hell, I'll probably drop by the liquor store tomorrow and buy a small bottle of something just for this occasion.

But as for the discussion, did Half Life ever have an impact in your life? Were you even aware that it's been 10 years already? What are you gonna do to celebrate this, or are you gonna do anything?

Discussion's open for anyone, but I wish those 12-year-olds who never touched the game because "the graphics suck" would keep their mouths shut.

Also, thanks to Gaben. "They're waiting for you Gordon. In the test chamber"
Old 11-18-2008 , 17:29   Re: Ten Years of Half-Life
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
and next spring I will get my paper as an "ICT assembler" or "electronics assembler", whatever the name is nowadays.
just curious. what exactly do you do?
Old 11-18-2008 , 17:37   Re: Ten Years of Half-Life
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by {PHILMAGROIN} View Post
just curious. what exactly do you do?
Build networks, server management, electronics in general, computer stuff in general (from building the computers to installing all the crap), device repairing (devices as in home electronics and such), embedded systems, programming and electronics design.

Damn, that sounds cool.

Edit: I think the name of the profession changed this year... but no one bothered to tell us. However, we just might be the last class to become electronics assemblers, but the new students in the school will become ICT assemblers, I think. (What a stupid name, ICT assembler)

Last edited by Pro Patria Finland; 11-18-2008 at 17:45.
{PHILMAGROIN}
Old 11-18-2008 , 17:44   Re: Ten Years of Half-Life
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Patria Finland View Post
Build networks, server management, electronics in general, computer stuff in general (from building the computers to installing all the crap), device repairing, embedded systems, programming and electronics design.

Damn, that sounds cool.

Edit: I think the name of the profession changed this year... but no one bothered to tell us. However, we just might be the last class to become electronics assemblers, but the new students in the school will become ICT assemblers, I think. (What a stupid name, ICT assembler)
sounds interesting! how long did you have to go to school?
Veteran Member
Old 11-18-2008 , 17:44   Re: Ten Years of Half-Life
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
I wish those 12-year-olds who never touched the game because "the graphics suck" would keep their mouths shut.
I know I've never played Half-Life, maybe for 5 seconds and got annoyed 'cause I suck, but Amen to that!

Next Goal: 20 years!
\_ŻŻŻ
Pro Patria Finland
Old 11-18-2008 , 17:48   Re: Ten Years of Half-Life
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
sounds interesting! how long did you have to go to school?
'Tis my third and last year. I should be starting a blag about my final assignment soon. Basically it's a project to automatize stuff in my apartment - I should be able to make coffee, adjust lights, water my chili's, turn on my computers etc. through internet or with my cellphone.
Old 11-18-2008 , 17:54   Re: Ten Years of Half-Life
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
'Tis my third and last year. I should be starting a blag about my final assignment soon. Basically it's a project to automatize stuff in my apartment - I should be able to make coffee, adjust lights, water my chili's, turn on my computers etc. through internet or with my cellphone.
no way!!! that sounds so sick. so you could run your apartment with technology haha. so cool.
Old 11-18-2008 , 18:51   Re: Ten Years of Half-Life
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
no way!!! that sounds so sick. so you could run your apartment with technology haha. so cool.
I have the tools and the knowledge. It'll all come down to if I have enough time and budget. But we'll see. My goal is to be able to make coffee with a web (possibly browser) based application from school, when I have to return the assignment.

But anyway, 'tis getting way too OT, back to the topic, pwees.

/me waits for the old grumpy people to take over the thread
Veteran Member
Old 11-18-2008 , 19:03   Re: Ten Years of Half-Life
Reply With Quote #9

Back in the day, I couldn't figure out how to finish a level and I gave up. I don't think I ever actually finished the game. Oh, and the houndeye's were f*cking scary and very annoying.
Pro Patria Finland
Old 11-19-2008 , 10:01   Re: Ten Years of Half-Life
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupok View Post
Back in the day, I couldn't figure out how to finish a level and I gave up. I don't think I ever actually finished the game. Oh, and the houndeye's were f*cking scary and very annoying.
Time to try again