Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

GetClientEyeAngles() returns false and does not store any data (Portal Modding)

Post New Thread Reply   

FixingLime
Old 07-29-2021 , 18:20   GetClientEyeAngles() returns false and does not store any data (Portal Modding)
Reply With Quote #1

Hello everyone. I don't know if this place is active or not, but I thought I'd give it a try and make my first post. I'm attempting to make a simple SourceMod plugin for Portal that outputs the look direction of the player to a file in real-time. However, when I use the GetClientEyeAngles() function to store the look direction, the function returns false and doesn't store any data. Here is my code:

Code:
#include <sourcemod>
#include <sdktools>

public Plugin myinfo = {
	name = "Portal Plugin",
	author = "Me",
	description = "Portal Plugin",
	version = "1.0",
};

public void OnGameFrame() {	
	new Float:eyeAng[3];

if (!GetClientEyeAngles(1, eyeAng)) {
	PrintToChat(1, "Failed");
	}

PrintToChat(1,"Look Angle: %f, %f, %f", eyeAng[0], eyeAng[1], eyeAng[2]);

}
As you can see, I attempt to call this function every game frame. I then create a float vector for the data to be stored in and try to call the function. I print "Failed" to the chat if the function returns false, which according to the documentation at https://sourcemod.dev/#/sdktools_fun...lientEyeAngles means that the function failed in some way. I also attempt to print the values stored in eyeAng to the chat, which should show the result of GetClientEyeAngles() but instead displays nothing but 0 for each value.
I'm not sure exactly why this function is failing. There don't seem to be any errors or compiling issues and after reading the documentation, I believe I'm using the function properly. Any help with this issue? Thanks a lot!
backwards
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-29-2021 , 18:39   Re: GetClientEyeAngles() returns false and does not store any data (Portal Modding)
Reply With Quote #2

Does portal even have dedicated servers? I thought the first game was single player? If so then sourcemod would have to be installed on your game client and then you run into issues like this as it's not supported to run on the game client itself. You might want to lean towards writing a "valve server plugin" in c++, but this would require decent knowledge of reverse engineering and source engine.
FixingLime
Old 07-29-2021 , 18:46   Re: GetClientEyeAngles() returns false and does not store any data (Portal Modding)
Reply With Quote #3

Ah okay, I guess I glossed over the fact that SourceMod was intended for dedicated servers only. I assumed that since Portal had some sort of local client-server interactions it could work, but it makes sense that SourceMod isn't the correct tool for my applications. Thanks for the info and I'll check out some other options like the Valve plugin.