Raised This Month: $7 Target: $400
 1% 

Gamedata Checker

Post New Thread Reply   

psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 05-27-2012 , 12:05   Gamedata Checker
Reply With Quote #1

I don't know how many people that this will be useful too (as it takes some effort to set up), but I've decided to clean up and share the code for my gamedata checker, as well as some scripts to work with it. Some of it is a bit of a mess, but SHARING IS CARING.

Essentially, it's a small, linux program, originally based on Fyren's gdc. It checks for matches to byte signatures in both the linux and windows binaries, and symbol names in the linux binaries. It also looks for changes to vtable offsets in the linux binary, and will make a guess as to the new offset on windows if there was a change. This is all done by giving it the gamedata file, and paths to the linux and windows binaries for the engine and server.

The source, light documentation, and scripts can be found here.
https://hg.alliedmods.net/sourcemod-...ls/gdc-psyfork

Some of you have already seen my irc bot announce updates, along with gamedata changes. This program is what generates that output.

From the last CS:S update:
[16:36] <iboT2> CStrike Update - Gamedata check: http://users.alliedmods.net/~psychon...02-cstrike.log

To view any of the auto-logs as they're added from game updates: http://users.alliedmods.net/~psychonic/gdc/?C=M;O=D

glhf

Last edited by psychonic; 04-29-2014 at 13:25. Reason: update some links
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 07-03-2012 , 10:32   Re: Gamedata Checker
Reply With Quote #2

This has been updated in the SM repo.

Changes include:
- Further cleaned up output format, including prefixing changed/notfound lines with "!".
- Removed requirement of "_vt" symbol lines for functions not existing on CBaseEntity.
- Added detection for Windows signatures that match multiple times or match but not at the start of a function.
- Updated symbols.txt with the latest in use.

Last edited by psychonic; 07-03-2012 at 10:35.
API
Veteran Member
Old 07-05-2012 , 14:11   Re: Gamedata Checker
Reply With Quote #3

This is dope psy! Nice!
Veteran Member
Old 07-08-2012 , 11:59   Re: Gamedata Checker
Reply With Quote #4

Something this got me thinking about. Would it be possible to have a Meta Mod plugin that is able to do the same thing and then actually update the game data files or generate test ones for the user to try out automatically. It would be great if there actually was a simple way to allow for servers to auto update changes.

BAFFLED
Old 07-08-2012 , 12:13   Re: Gamedata Checker
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroibis View Post
Something this got me thinking about. Would it be possible to have a Meta Mod plugin that is able to do the same thing and then actually update the game data files or generate test ones for the user to try out automatically. It would be great if there actually was a simple way to allow for servers to auto update changes.
Go for it if you want.

Some reasons that I haven't:
It would only be possible for virtual function offsets, and with the current code, only offsets on linux could be guaranteed to be correct.

That also doesn't take into account writing gamedata back out, which is extra difficult with how it's structured. Multiple files and even multiples of same sections in a file all get combined and flattened internally, without the info needed to write them back out. It would be much extra effort to keep all of the data required to write them back out as they were, rather than a single file per engine or game, with everything that got combined into it.

Another, possibly smarter approach would be to add another gamedata section type to SM, AutoOffset or something that takes a signature or symbol name and just looks up the offset from the vtable on the fly (similar to the checker), but then it still breaks if that signature changes, being more difficult to fix for signatures than the original offset would be, which is one reason why I haven't bothered to add it for Windows yet, and instead use a guess.
zeroibis
Veteran Member
Old 07-09-2012 , 09:36   Re: Gamedata Checker
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
Go for it if you want.
If only I was a real programmer lol... I can imagine it is hard which is why it has not been done yet and something like this being hard for you guys is like oh throwing that ship was hard for superman but maybe you can do better rofl.

Despite the fact that I am in these forms a lot working on code I am a business major that works in telecommunications. I learned how to program java in HS and that is it. I am sure I could pickup MM in a few years but most of what I know and have learned has been thanks to the help of all the great people at SM over the years

On that note (and possible even more off topic) thanks again everyone for all your help over the years in helping us noobs learn to program! The great community here is what has allowed all of these amazing mods to prosper, thanks again!
Old 07-09-2012 , 10:38   Re: Gamedata Checker
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
but then it still breaks if that signature changes, being more difficult to fix for signatures than the original offset would be, which is one reason why I haven't bothered to add it for Windows yet, and instead use a guess.
If the signature of a function changes (ie.: a parameter got changed), you would have to change the Call or Hook-Code anyway, wouldn't you ? The only problem I see is windows because it doesn't have symbols in the binaries.
Also some kind of caching would be nice then, something that compares the checksum of a library and loads the memory addresses from the cache instead of doing a pattern search / vtable offset resolving every time.

When people ask me "Plz" just because it's shorter than "Please" I feel perfectly justified to answer "No" because it's shorter than "Yes"