Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

SourcePawn to Lua to what-have you

Post New Thread Reply   

V1cky
Old 04-27-2017 , 03:16   SourcePawn to Lua to what-have you
Reply With Quote #1

Hey ya'll, just wanted to ask a few questions, but first, let me say a few things.

I started learning SourcePawn a few weeks ago and i gotta say that i'v enjoyed my learning experience tremendously. I hope i don't sound arrogant by saying SourcePawn was easy for me to pick up, partially because i could almost instantly put my creations to good use on my server and when ever i needed help, the community would always be there to lend a few words of wisdom.

As the bulk of my SourcePawn learning quest comes to a conclusion i was left asking myself "what next?". After some thought, i chose Lua as my next language to pursue as i could help out some of my Gmod buddies with some custom goodies to liven up their servers.

Now here are my questions,

how does Lua compare to SourcePawn in terms of difficulty?

How are Lua and SourcePawn different and how are they similar? I know i can just look up their technical differences and similarities on something like Wikipedia but i want to get some input from individuals that have had experience with both.
cruderustle
Old 04-27-2017 , 14:27   Re: SourcePawn to Lua to what-have you
Reply With Quote #2

Lua and SourcePawn are quite different languages, in my experience with both. Lua doesn't use the bracket coding that SourcePawn does, which honestly is my biggest hurdle when it comes to SourcePawn. The syntax is also quite different with the statements and in my opinion SourcePawn is generally less intuitive than Lua.

Sorry if this just sounded like me rambling, I just wanted to help in any way I could lol. Overall, they're fairly different languages and you'll have a learning curve going from SourcePawn to Lua and vice versa.