Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Offensive Language Filter for a Newbie [Coding Questions]

Post New Thread Reply   

abyssknight
Old 03-08-2005 , 20:01   Offensive Language Filter for a Newbie [Coding Questions]
Reply With Quote #1

Now, I've never even opened code for this kind of system, so bear with me. I've been looking to create a word filter like system for Source that would effectively be the end all be all of wordfilter systems: Block, kick, notify, ban, etc. I've taken a look at the Say Hook (http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthr...+words&start=0) discussion and thought, hey, I bet I could do this...

I have a decent background in ANSI C, Java, and PHP and I'm wondering... what is this written in? Probably a dumb question, but hey, it's worth asking. Looking at it, it reminds me of C# or Java with a mix of C... Or maybe just C. I'm not sure.

So I guess what I'm asking here is, do you guys have any file IO tutorials? ;)

Basically, I'd like to start coding a plugin for Source, and I've got no clue where to start, so I came to the pros.

Any input would be great.
Send a message via ICQ to abyssknight Send a message via AIM to abyssknight Send a message via MSN to abyssknight Send a message via Yahoo to abyssknight
XAD
Old 03-09-2005 , 05:07   Re: Offensive Language Filter for a Newbie [Coding Questions
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abyssknight
I have a decent background in ANSI C, Java, and PHP and I'm wondering... what is this written in? Probably a dumb question, but hey, it's worth asking. Looking at it, it reminds me of C# or Java with a mix of C... Or maybe just C. I'm not sure.
It's C++... I would suggest that you start with compiling the example plugin from Valve, included in the SDK... Then apply the "say" override code, and then continue with adding you stuff...

What you want to do is fairly easy HL2-wise, as you only want to override one command and do not need any tricks... just remember to keep an eye on performance as you don't want it to create lagg...

/X
abyssknight
Old 03-09-2005 , 08:21  
Reply With Quote #3

Yeah, after I posted I felt kind of dumb ... I realized it was C++. ;) Ah well, thanks for the reply. I'll have to go check it out and see what I can do. I guess the big challenge will be overriding current plugins' word filters such that they don't conflict.

Anyways, I'll take a look at the SDK stuff and dive into some code later.

Thanks,
-AK
Send a message via ICQ to abyssknight Send a message via AIM to abyssknight Send a message via MSN to abyssknight Send a message via Yahoo to abyssknight