ReHLDS, Reverse-engineered HLDS

Post New Thread Reply   

Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 06-21-2015 , 08:18   Re: ReHLDS, Reverse-engineered HLDS
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryWolf View Post
Do you ever take a break from this forum ? you are helping with nothing here just seek to argue with everyone, omg get a life please and stop being continiosly like this.

He just posted a modded version of HLDS just for testing and for people who want to test something new he mentioned that he doesnt support no.steam

Great i shall look into the engine too
Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
It's not that the community doesn't support no-steam, it's that the community does not support any HLDS that is not the official HLDS. Are you sure it's not a copyright violation to reverse engineer HLDS?
Considering how asherkin posted in this thread and didn't trash it or ban the OP, I'd take that as a green light in terms of being allowed.

I'm still somewhat stunned in thinking how much effort the OP must have put into this project...
DreamStalker
Old 06-21-2015 , 08:50   Re: ReHLDS, Reverse-engineered HLDS
Reply With Quote #12

Hey TjaardA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjaardA View Post
Just don't understaind your issues on the current HLDS version: v1.1.2.7Stdio 6153 secure (10)
1. It's not optimized and therefore it wastes CPU time. You may get more FPS or run more servers/slots on the same box if you use ReHLDS.
2. Original HLDS still has some bugs which worsen game experience or which may crash the server.

Quote:
FPS drops obviously as a high-latency player connects, where the FPS previously were more stable.
Could you please provide numbers (what latency is "high", how many FPS were before/after a high-latency player has joined the server, how did you measure FPS stability). I'm aware of stories that high-latency players increase CPU load on server, but I can't confirm it. Based on my experience, CPU load on server (and therefore FPS stability) depends on how many entities players see. That's why average serverside FPS on maps with huge open spaces and lot of entities (de_aztec for example) is much lower than on narrow-corridors kind of maps (de_dust2)

Quote:
While on the original HLDS everybody got a LAG problem, when a high-latency player connected.
Please explain what lag problem are you talking about. I played on Half-Life servers with 200+ latency players and I haven't experienced any problems.

Quote:
JIT compilation needs extra layers software like JAVA installed.
Thanks God we don't need Java to do JITting
We use C++ library called jitasm to generate native code in runtime.

Quote:
Also Implementing SSE math. will make ReHLDS less compatible.
Not sure what kind of compatibility do you mean. All Intel and AMD CPUs manufactured after 2005 do have SSE2 instructions support. Even my 11-years-old laptop with Windows XP is able to run ReHLDS

Quote:
Please explain: ReHLDS should produce data that bit-to-bit equal to data
produced by original HLDS when both apps are fed with similar incoming data.
It's better to draw some schemas to explain this. But first of all, If you are not familiar with black-box testing, please read the article on wikipedia

On this picture we feed the same data (green rectangle) to both HLDS and ReHLDS and the same (bit-to-bit equal) result (blue rectangle) are produced by both applications:

If we apply SSE optimizations to ReHLDS and repeat the experiment, we'll get this:

The results are very close to each other (the differences are 154.444 vs 154.445 and 34.541 vs 34.542), but if you serialize both results to set of bytes, they won't be equal.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 06-21-2015 , 08:59   Re: ReHLDS, Reverse-engineered HLDS
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato Uno View Post
Considering how asherkin posted in this thread and didn't trash it or ban the OP, I'd take that as a green light in terms of being allowed.
Because clearly, Asherkin is a copyright lawyer. Just because someone thinks it is neat doesn't make it legal or even necessary.

Last edited by fysiks; 06-21-2015 at 18:19.
Spirit_12
Veteran Member
Old 06-21-2015 , 18:07   Re: ReHLDS, Reverse-engineered HLDS
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStalker View Post
I'm pretty sure I fixed this issue about a week ago. Have you tried the latest build?
It seems I downloaded the wrong zip. The one you linked works fine.
Old 06-22-2015 , 15:50   Re: ReHLDS, Reverse-engineered HLDS
Reply With Quote #15

I Really liked the idea , i hope u success with that , because the last HLDS has already many bugs and errors.. and they no more supporting that.
but are u going to increase the 512 precache thingy ? so we can add more models\sounds stuff..
and what about this error ? https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=262832

Thank you .
heliumdream
Old 06-22-2015 , 16:13   Re: ReHLDS, Reverse-engineered HLDS
Reply With Quote #16

there are umpteen examples of communities and third parties re-creating the sever technologies that powers the client of their respective game clients; notably ultima online, wow, everquest, ffxi, etc.

those communities and third party servers have existed for more than a decade unburdened by the respective ip holders and game companies.
Old 06-23-2015 , 12:32   Re: ReHLDS, Reverse-engineered HLDS
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey View Post
but are u going to increase the 512 precache thingy ? so we can add more models\sounds stuff..
AFAIK, these limits are also exist on the client, so it doesn't make sense to increase them on server-side only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey View Post
Hehe, I was aware of this bug but forgot to fix it.
Now it is fixed
heliumdream
Old 06-23-2015 , 14:31   Re: ReHLDS, Reverse-engineered HLDS
Reply With Quote #18

some folks even went to extremes to develop their own client ;-). i can recall a few examples of 3rd party clients for ultima online.
Old 06-23-2015 , 16:21   Re: ReHLDS, Reverse-engineered HLDS
Reply With Quote #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStalker View Post
Is ReHLDS fully compatible with HLDS and/or AmxModX?
It's fully compatible with HLDS 6132 and 6153. It's also compatible with all plugins except ones that do engine memory patching (Orpheu as an example).
Hmmm , no chance to getting orphue works with it also ? many mods and plugins depend on it..
are you trying to make it work ? or no way.
MetalMessiah
Old 06-23-2015 , 19:46   Re: ReHLDS, Reverse-engineered HLDS
Reply With Quote #20

I just can't understand WHY C++ sources need Java for compilation?

P.S. Which compiler do you use under Windows? I don't want to try everything until I will find anything that wont give over999 errors.

Quote:
some folks even went to extremes to develop their own client ;-)
I have 95% compartible alternative HL1/CS client, but with 100% incompartible network protocol used. It uses some quake variation. If somebody is interested in making a big butthurt, send me a PM.

Last edited by MetalMessiah; 06-23-2015 at 19:52.