Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Complicated Currency Plugin

Post New Thread Reply   

Royal Republic
Old 03-30-2012 , 15:05   Complicated Currency Plugin
Reply With Quote #1

Before you ask anything, yes I will pay for the services you provide me with.

Now to the matter at hand.
I need a currency plugin, but not just any old plugin. This one will be a little bit difficult.
I am in need of a currency plugin that will be awarded to players each minute they play in any of my servers. I then need that number to be transferred to an online database, so that I can merge it with my website.

Here's how it goes, pretend I am a player that just joined one of my servers:
The first thing they should see when they spawn is a credit displayer at the bottom left, it should show the person how much Comet-Credits (that's what I will call the currency) they have, and this value should increase with every minute they play on any of the servers. This amount of credits should be saved in a database corresponding to his steam:id, so that when the person joins again, the credits will keep stacking from where he stopped.

Following me so far?

Now say he wants to use his earned Credits, what can he do? He can go to the website and purchase a few powers for his in-game experience, or perhaps some RP money in gmod, or whatever. He will go into the menu (in the website), type in his steam:id, and purchase his said item. This item should be transferred to a menu in-game, in which he can activate said item, such as a speed boost, or temporary god mode. All the Credits need to be kept in a database, and purchases must remove credits from said person. Say he has 3052 credits, and he spends 2000 on some random item. The database must update his credits, so that he has 1052.

Now what do I want from you, the designer of the plugin?
I need you to make all this possible, and I don't mean JUST the credits, I also mean the powers they may buy from the website (the powers may range from God-Mode to a color-changer).

This would probably be a massive project for any coder out there. But I wouldn't know.
Please mention anything that is impossible or too hard to do, so that I may figure a work around.

Like I said I WILL pay for this, but I will pay corresponding to the amount of work you've done if you accept this request. I understand that different coders have different prices, but I don't want to get scammed over here.
Doodil
Old 03-30-2012 , 15:32   Re: Complicated Currency Plugin
Reply With Quote #2

this doesn't seem any different than all the other shop/donor plugins.
I wouldn't put the buy-function on the webpage though, since everyone can get your steam-id and use your points to buy something shitty for you, unless you somehow force them to register their steam-id to buy stuff (wouldn't do that either)
Royal Republic
Old 03-30-2012 , 15:37   Re: Complicated Currency Plugin
Reply With Quote #3

Good point. I'll have to think of a way around that, perhaps providing proof that you are who you say you are by adding a tag in your steam name.
Doodil
Old 03-30-2012 , 15:51   Re: Complicated Currency Plugin
Reply With Quote #4

I doubt there is a way to verify that someone is the real owner of a steam-id, unless you somehow make a /setpassword "1234" command on your server that binds a steam-id to a password/generate a random password for him/force him to register on your website and prooving once that it's his steam-id/make him log in through steam
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-30-2012 , 16:25   Re: Complicated Currency Plugin
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodil View Post
this doesn't seem any different than all the other shop/donor plugins.
I wouldn't put the buy-function on the webpage though, since everyone can get your steam-id and use your points to buy something shitty for you, unless you somehow force them to register their steam-id to buy stuff (wouldn't do that either)
You can have websites that require you to log in to Steam. tf2tp works this way.
Old 03-30-2012 , 16:56   Re: Complicated Currency Plugin
Reply With Quote #6

I know, but I prefer to use a ingame menu to buy stuff with ingame currency, why would I want to alt+tab out of my game(or use the slow steam browser) to buy something on a website? I could understand that when the website would somehow be connected to gaining points (maybe some browsergame or something that gives a alternative way to earn points), but a shop-website just for the sake of it? Not the best idea in my opinion
Royal Republic
Old 03-31-2012 , 02:05   Re: Complicated Currency Plugin
Reply With Quote #7

How about an option for both, then? A menu in-game as well as in the website.

EDIT: Also, the website already exists. Here it is for reference (http://www.Comet-Gaming.com). I can just add another page called "shop" or something similar. Then I can design it and publish it.
Not to mention I'm placing the shop in the website because I want the option to BUY Comet-Credits. Implementing PayPal into a source game would be a bitch.

EDIT 2.0: Oh, and trading Credits is possible, right?

EDIT 3.0: I've found a coder and the project is underway, thanks to anyone who has considered doing this. Please lock this thread.

Last edited by Royal Republic; 03-31-2012 at 03:55.
Skyy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-31-2012 , 05:08   Re: Complicated Currency Plugin
Reply With Quote #8

If you want to have players log in to their "account" through the website, you can do it simply and securely without having to expose their steamid on the site.
Still, I'm not sure why anyone would think it's a bad idea using their steamid as the login, since no ones steamid is exactly well-hidden.

However. When a user logs in to your server for the first time, simply have a message pop up that tells them to type "register <password>" in console.
and then simply send that off to the database as their password (please use md5 or some other encryption for security).

When a user wants to log in to the website, all they need is to enter their password.
Just have the php match the password up with the appropriate account. If it can't find an account, obviously an incorrect password was entered.

Extremely simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodil View Post
I know, but I prefer to use a ingame menu to buy stuff with ingame currency, why would I want to alt+tab out of my game(or use the slow steam browser) to buy something on a website? I could understand that when the website would somehow be connected to gaining points (maybe some browsergame or something that gives a alternative way to earn points), but a shop-website just for the sake of it? Not the best idea in my opinion
Option to buy stuff both in and out of game would be a pretty cool idea. It's general purpose is most likely user convenience.

Last edited by Skyy; 03-31-2012 at 05:09.
TheAvengers2
BANNED
Old 03-31-2012 , 10:09   Re: Complicated Currency Plugin
Reply With Quote #9

You can verify steam id ownership by using their last known ip address. After their first use of the website, have them register it permanently so ip address isn't enough anymore.

Last edited by TheAvengers2; 03-31-2012 at 10:09.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-31-2012 , 10:49   Re: Complicated Currency Plugin
Reply With Quote #10

I forgot to mention, Steam's "Sign in through Steam" program requires you implement OpenID.