Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

WWW Reg

Post New Thread Reply   

knocker
Old 05-27-2004 , 15:31  
Reply With Quote #11

it is possible to add custom fields into phpbb. they appear in each users profile and can use custom tables (as far as i have customized my forum - i added a clan-field).

its not that urgent, but a nice feature ;)
Send a message via ICQ to knocker
Johnny got his gun
Veteran Member
Old 05-27-2004 , 16:06  
Reply With Quote #12

Ok feel free to enlighten me how you added that field. I've been exploring the phpbb structure for awhile but its still like a jungle for me.
I added a steamid line below the icq line on the Profile page, and it does indeed get the steamid from the user table, however ive yet to make it update any change. :-P

Update: uhm ok i think I did it here. However lets hear your story. I edited like 2-3 files, mainly usercp_register.php, lang_main.php, profile_add_body.tpl and user_edit_body.tpl.. maybe forgot some...

This could be way cool because if we can identify a player with a user on a forum, then we could tell him when he gets a pm, get a lot of other info from his account etc, while he's in-game... and with the ingame browser of steam, the potential is limitless :-)
knocker
Old 05-27-2004 , 16:21  
Reply With Quote #13

well, its just a simple hack ... its explained here
Johnny got his gun
Veteran Member
Old 05-27-2004 , 16:40  
Reply With Quote #14

Ok looks like I did it about the same way.
It works. The plugin now finds out name player registered in forum, really nice so, endless potential here, ill probably have to sit down and write a huge wish-list for this, then pick the coolest onces first, like ingame pm-notices etc. It could look for new pms everytime you die in cs, that will have to be specific plugins for each game mod because it wouldn't work too well in tfc, dod etc

Still these "hacks" seems a little awkward should you wish to update your phpbb forum to a newer version. :-\
knocker
Old 05-27-2004 , 18:24  
Reply With Quote #15

new updates are no problems:
in addition to new versions there are changelogs which explain which files have been change and what you have to do to get the equivalent new version. u simply have to do all changes by yourself. but this is mostly less time intensive as installing all hacks anew (i have about 120 hacks) ;)

so the usertable isnt modified as well.

wishlist ;):

advantages for registered users:
- they have access to the reserved slot
- they get vote-rights for several things (mapchange, kick etc)

disadvantages for unregistered guests:
- they get gagged (or they get 5 "free" chatmessages with warning to register) - i like this cuz i think mostly non-forum users flame around
- glow red - some players like to camp

general:
- everything above is optional ;) so every admin can chose his own settings.

btw imo checking for pms is not that necessary. when players connect/at mapchange they see the forum in the motd window. and i dont think players get so much pms or want to see it while playing. but if it is optional theres no problem ;)

well, if you have time you could design a complete connection server <-> web(forum). if you have registered users and players there is a possibility to save stats for them, setting up admins and manage the server etc ;). huge project, but simply get my forum users as registered players is big enough for me, dont bother the rest ;)

thx for your awesome projects ...
Johnny got his gun
Veteran Member
Old 05-28-2004 , 06:06  
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
- they have access to the reserved slot
done
Quote:
- they get vote-rights for several things (mapchange, kick etc)
cool, will fix at some point, maybe just add ADMIN_VOTE flag etc when necessary. This is the easiest part to just adda few flags, very little coding required. I like these requests

Quote:
- they get gagged (or they get 5 "free" chatmessages with warning to register) - i like this cuz i think mostly non-forum users flame around
- glow red - some players like to camp
Unlike the flags above, these take more time to create but are nonetheless fully possible of course. They are added to to do list...

Btw I have also added option to force registered players to use their names from forum, so that they can't name themselves anything else.
knocker
Old 05-28-2004 , 09:35  
Reply With Quote #17

as long as its optional i dont mind ;)

i have to try it if its done with every single option because my forum users dont know what to think of the disadvantages for unregistered players.

only using the reserved slot is absolutely accepted for now ;). about 50% want to gag unregistered players. thats the momentary result of a poll ...
Johnny got his gun
Veteran Member
Old 05-28-2004 , 11:04  
Reply With Quote #18

Well so far i added cvar wwwreg_access, and there you specify all flags you want regged ppl to have, default is b (reserved slots), but its possible to add any of those. Should be easy enough

Currently working on the pms.
knocker
Old 05-28-2004 , 12:35  
Reply With Quote #19

sounds good ...

perhaps you could add an option to show the forum in the motd window on connect. i do this already for some months and its working fine. so IF someone want to have his forum shown on connect it might fit to your plugin ...
Pomme
Old 05-28-2004 , 13:38  
Reply With Quote #20

Greatest plugin ever seen in my 3 years of HLDS admin'ing.

I'm so happy to see the phbb implementation going on, had requested that some months ago and thought that would never be done.

GJ JGHG ! I think Knocker' suggestions are very good too!