Raised This Month: $7 Target: $400
 1% 

I want to learn about sourcemodding but I don't know where to start

Post New Thread Reply   

Master Batter
Zero Posts
Old 06-14-2020 , 21:57   I want to learn about sourcemodding but I don't know where to start
Reply With Quote #1

I have a basic understanding of programming principals as well a rudimentary knowledge C and Lua.
Learning Sourcepawn also seems like a very achievable task, however the source engine is such a huge
and complicated thing I was wondering the best way and where to learn it. Should I specialize in 1 specific thing? (Server Plugins, hl2 mods, maps, gmod stuff etc), and what are some good resources to learn with? I just don't know where to start!
For context I have made a few (pretty bad) maps for tf2 using hammer and some command line programs with C and lua.
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-15-2020 , 22:44   Re: I want to learn about sourcemodding but I don't know where to start
Reply With Quote #2

Start here: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=321089
Then find plugins you like and look through code, looking up their functions, callbacks, etc to find out why it does what it does. The more times you do that, the more you learn. You can give SourceMod plugins a look through as well.
Master Batter
Zero Posts
Old 06-16-2020 , 00:08   Re: I want to learn about sourcemodding but I don't know where to start
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxximou5 View Post
Start here: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=321089
Then find plugins you like and look through code, looking up their functions, callbacks, etc to find out why it does what it does. The more times you do that, the more you learn. You can give SourceMod plugins a look through as well.
Thanks!